i wanna go to berlin!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Machinate wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:those aren't LEDs, they're just regular lights with gels on them or colored flood lights. a shitload of them, very cool. could be halogens, which last longer when you flash them but cost more and generate more heat.
You're really really wrong.

http://www.roomdivision.com/2006/02/10/ ... te-berlin/

Awesome rig, and very inspirational - and EXPENSIVE, in spite of its DIY appeal :-/
it's not a bad guess FFS you can see where I was coming from. bright, wide angle LEDs are hard to come by, those are LED arrays, makes sense.

that's really cool, I need to do that to my ceiling! I don't have time now but need to find the source of those LED boxes. serial protocol? dunno, I'm done guessing for fear of reprisal from snarky (love that word) northern europeans.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nebulae

Re: i wanna go to berlin!!

Post by nebulae » Tue May 06, 2008 8:31 pm

KTG wrote:wHY WHY WHY we don't have anything like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G0I6jtvaBUc

Where do you get those LED? any idea? Any poor man's version of LED? 8O
probably because some fraking lawyer would sue the club owner for his client's epileptic fits.

mikemc

Re: i wanna go to berlin!!

Post by mikemc » Tue May 06, 2008 8:41 pm

nebulae wrote:
KTG wrote:wHY WHY WHY we don't have anything like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G0I6jtvaBUc

Where do you get those LED? any idea? Any poor man's version of LED? 8O
probably because some fraking lawyer would sue the club owner for his client's epileptic fits.
more like because some fraking lawyer is charging too much for them to get whatever they need to do business so that then some other fraking lawyer could draw up a contract between them and a North American distributor in order for some other fraking lawyer to draw up the contract to get in installed in some club, which has just applied for some kind of license through some fraking lawyer, only to have some fraking lawyer sue the club for his client's epileptic fits, after which they could sue one another right back up the chain

fraking lawyers.

UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue May 06, 2008 11:22 pm

I can't find a source for those LED bricks.

the LEDs themselves aren't hard to find, google around for 'bright LED' or 'superbright LED'.

the tricky part, IMO is making those little modules, my guess is that they're individually addressable, maybe ethernet, then you PWM the basic colors to get an infinite possible number of colors out of it.

it's also all about scale. make 1 brick for $5 (a reasonable price) then multiply that by 500 and it adds up.

a cookie for anyone that can find those things.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Wed May 07, 2008 4:42 am

Tone Deft wrote: a cookie for anyone that can find those things.
http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/flex/

Just remove the domes.

I sell, design, and program LED array systems.

Let me know what you need!
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Wed May 07, 2008 2:17 pm

funkdefino wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: a cookie for anyone that can find those things.
http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/flex/

Just remove the domes.

I sell, design, and program LED array systems.

Let me know what you need!
I'll tell you what everyone needs.

A lightweight panel that has LEDs . The panel maybe has two sizes, say, .5 meters by .5 meters or 1 meter by 1 meter that has LEDs in rows, say, 3 centimeters apart. There is an "actuator" unit that takes line in stereo that causes sections of the LEDs to a) pulse in rhythm to the music b) pulse based on frequency band c) vary color based on frequency band (say, bass is blue, mids are red and highs are yellow/white). In addition, the actuator unit causes the pulsing to vary across the panel in several different patterns that will move across the panel. The changes in the patterns occur based on bpm. There are a couple of knobs and two toggle switches on the actuator, one controls how many changes per beat, the other controls the range of three colors, The two switches are for 1) on/off, and 2) the following...

The panels can be connected together to form a larger panel, in which case the patterns can occur per pattern (one switch setting) or across the panel assemblage of however many panels.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Wed May 07, 2008 10:08 pm

mikemc wrote: I'll tell you what everyone needs.

A lightweight panel that has LEDs . The panel maybe has two sizes, say, .5 meters by .5 meters or 1 meter by 1 meter that has LEDs in rows, say, 3 centimeters apart. There is an "actuator" unit that takes line in stereo that causes sections of the LEDs to a) pulse in rhythm to the music b) pulse based on frequency band c) vary color based on frequency band (say, bass is blue, mids are red and highs are yellow/white). In addition, the actuator unit causes the pulsing to vary across the panel in several different patterns that will move across the panel. The changes in the patterns occur based on bpm. There are a couple of knobs and two toggle switches on the actuator, one controls how many changes per beat, the other controls the range of three colors, The two switches are for 1) on/off, and 2) the following...

The panels can be connected together to form a larger panel, in which case the patterns can occur per pattern (one switch setting) or across the panel assemblage of however many panels.
Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe04oL2h4Hk

Not so pretty if you ask me... but I am not a fan of sound2light. Very hap hazard in most cases.

Lightjockey has some nice sound2light functions if you know what you are doing. Still it does mean having a controller and knowing how to program it. I'm guessing you want a turnkey solution.

Right now THIS is really blowing up my skirt...

Just watch! Gets interesting about halfway through...

http://www.highend.com/HESDirect/SHOWPIX/SHOWPIX.html
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 pm

I live around the corner from Watergate, though it's like anything that's on your doorstep... you never go there.
Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

KTG

Post by KTG » Wed May 07, 2008 10:14 pm

eggnchips wrote:I live around the corner from Watergate, though it's like anything that's on your doorstep... you never go there.
why not? it's not that good? or just too close to your place?

8O

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed May 07, 2008 10:18 pm

funk - many thanks for lending your expertise on these things. I'm a 35 year old electrical engineer, so I totally get how to PWM multicolor LEDs and I can imagine the gist of what the code would be to do this stuff.

what are your thoughts on the best, cheapest and easiest way for people to get this stuff into their hands? IOW for hobbyists what's the best route? theoretically we can build anything but in the end it's often cheaper and easier to buy stuff off the shelf. some like the journey of making stuff, some just want to get the job done. any tips? any pricing info? examples of stuff to buy?

cheers!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Wed May 07, 2008 10:20 pm

KTG wrote:
eggnchips wrote:I live around the corner from Watergate, though it's like anything that's on your doorstep... you never go there.

8O
It's just that I don't wan't to go clubbing every weekend. Plus the queue's always massive and I prefer Panorama bar.
Last edited by eggnchips on Thu May 08, 2008 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MUHK RECORDS

KTG

Post by KTG » Wed May 07, 2008 10:23 pm

eggnchips wrote:
KTG wrote:

8O
It's just that I don't wan't to go clubbing every weekend. Plus the que's always massive and I prefer Panorama bar.
I see what you mean. hey at least you guys have some awesome club. :wink:
Do you think berlin is the place to be for electronic artist these days?

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Wed May 07, 2008 10:27 pm

KTG wrote:
eggnchips wrote:
KTG wrote: why not? it's not that good? or just too close to your place?

8O
It's just that I don't wan't to go clubbing every weekend. Plus the que's always massive and I prefer Panorama bar.
I see what you mean. hey at least you guys have some awesome club. :wink:
Do you think berlin is the place to be for electronic artist these days?
Fantastic mate. Just being here inspires you.
MUHK RECORDS

KTG

Post by KTG » Wed May 07, 2008 10:38 pm

NICE. yeah I really need to visit berlin soon.
Just wondering though, is it more like DJ clubing culture that is big or healthy number of live electronic shows happening in Berlin?

And this might sound kinda crazy but any suggestion for non european artist who wants to give a shot at berlin?

eggnchips

Post by eggnchips » Wed May 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Hey mate, It's not like electro on every corner like some people expect. Though you can find it in the right places if you look. Like any city, it depends on the day of the week. What makes Berlin magic though is that you'll find out about some party held in an old railway building or something that will go on till Monday morning. If you wanna visit, we can meet up and go clubbing all weekend though.
MUHK RECORDS