OT : project relocation Australia

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

perth or melbourne?

perth
24%
melbourne
76%

Total votes: 17

selthym

Post by selthym » Wed May 07, 2008 11:42 am

Perth for sure. I didn't see a cloud in the sky today and it is almost winter (it does rain sometimes though).

I have lived in Melbourne before, liked it so much I came home after 1 year.

Plenty of job opportunities in Perth and if you are willing to do some hard manual work, you can get fly in fly out work, get paid rediculous $$$'s come back to perth for a few weeks, piss it agaainst the wall (and still have most of it left)... and you need no skill. (I don't do this BTW)

Check out this article http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 37,00.html

Melbourne is a great place for a holiday, plenty of bars, cafe's, shop's, sport, great people, greaat public transport and always something to do but... I got sick of lining up for 30 minutes to hire a DVD, take 1 hour to drive 5km to the city and put up with the shit weather.

Give me Perth anytime, great weather, great people, enough good pubs and clubs (the good ones are alwaays packed out because there are not a lot of them), clean city, much more laid back city but... Mondays and Tuesdays are dead and you need to know where to go at other times.

hangar17

Post by hangar17 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:23 pm

gjm wrote:
nebulae wrote:What about New Zealand? I've heard a lot of good things about Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch.
Now we are talking sense!! Depending on your circumstances....(good or not so good) its worth a look. :wink:
i did think bout nz for abit.
it comes as an option if i get bored with aussie (oh er oops :oops: )
I fell down the musical stairs at the science museum.
It went like : C F# B D Ab A#5 E D B A THUD!

we are airfields
this is hangar 17

hangar17

Post by hangar17 » Wed May 07, 2008 2:23 pm

looks like its a close fight between perth/melb

decisions decisions

where's darth vader when i need him

hrrrm :twisted:
I fell down the musical stairs at the science museum.
It went like : C F# B D Ab A#5 E D B A THUD!

we are airfields
this is hangar 17

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Thu May 08, 2008 1:09 am

selthym wrote:Perth for sure. I didn't see a cloud in the sky today and it is almost winter (it does rain sometimes though).

Plenty of job opportunities in Perth and if you are willing to do some hard manual work, you can get fly in fly out work, get paid rediculous $$$'s come back to perth for a few weeks, piss it agaainst the wall (and still have most of it left)... and you need no skill. (I don't do this BTW)

Melbourne is a great place for a holiday, plenty of bars, cafe's, shop's, sport, great people, greaat public transport and always something to do but... I got sick of lining up for 30 minutes to hire a DVD, take 1 hour to drive 5km to the city and put up with the shit weather.

Give me Perth anytime, great weather, great people, enough good pubs and clubs (the good ones are alwaays packed out because there are not a lot of them), clean city, much more laid back city but... Mondays and Tuesdays are dead and you need to know where to go at other times.
i love perth... it is really laid back. lots of my friends are from Perth.... that might tell you something though... lots of people move from Perth to the east coast.... probably because there isn't really a lot to do except go to the beach.

and you'll need a car there, unless you want to die of boredom...
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 am

am wrote:
selthym wrote:Perth for sure. I didn't see a cloud in the sky today and it is almost winter (it does rain sometimes though).

i love perth... it is really laid back. lots of my friends are from Perth.... that might tell you something though... lots of people move from Perth to the east coast.... probably because there isn't really a lot to do except go to the beach.

and you'll need a car there public transport it a bit shit..
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 am

and you'll need a car there public transport it a bit shit...
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

Lo-Key Fu

Post by Lo-Key Fu » Fri May 09, 2008 1:47 am

am wrote:and you'll need a car there, unless you want to die of boredom...
You can get most places easily enough if you choose to live along the train line; the buses suck, but the trains are pretty good these days (as long as you don't catch them in peak hour). Then again, if you're planning on lugging tons of gear to and from gigs you might need a car regardless.

Like every place, Perth has it's pros and cons.

Personally, I like living here for a plethora of reasons but I can alsoo see how others would not be so keen on it.

As others have suggested, best to get yourself over to both places and have a bit of a look-see.

Good luck with your decision!

flowdesigner

Re:

Post by flowdesigner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 pm

Dan Dare wrote:I'd be surprised if you chose Perth.
why?

Hei©o

Re: OT : project relocation Australia

Post by Hei©o » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:45 pm

OMG i`m about to do the same thing, but i was considering Adelaide, maybe we can compare it with Melbourne or Sydney :)

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:30 pm

I'd go with Melbourne. Most of the people I have met from Perth seem to be so laid back they are technically in a coma.
That is saying alot coming from someone who lives in Brisbane.

Laid back is good. But it is at a whole other level in Australia. It can sometimes border on the level of "intellectual holiday" for some.

Culturally Melbourne has the market cornered in Australia.
Perth is good if you want to go to the beach and be isolated in a friendly community.

Of course the culture of Melbourne appeals to me due to living in the cultrally backward city of Brisbane. The term "diversity" doesn't exist in any dictionaries up here.

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:36 pm

Hei©o wrote:OMG i`m about to do the same thing, but i was considering Adelaide, maybe we can compare it with Melbourne or Sydney :)
Adelaide is called "The city of Churches". Apparently it has a pretty bad as produce market there too.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 am

distaudio wrote:I'd go with Melbourne. Most of the people I have met from Perth seem to be so laid back they are technically in a coma.

Laid back is good. But it is at a whole other level in Australia. It can sometimes border on the level of "intellectual holiday" for some.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is sooo true. Perth people are practically dead, but still somehow manage to breath occasionally.Usually when they have a bong in their hand.

(Some of my best friends are from Perth) :wink:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:34 am

distaudio wrote:I'd go with Melbourne. Most of the people I have met from Perth seem to be so laid back they are technically in a coma.

Culturally Melbourne has the market cornered in Australia.
Perth is good if you want to go to the beach and be isolated in a friendly community.

Of course the culture of Melbourne appeals to me due to living in the cultrally backward city of Brisbane. The term "diversity" doesn't exist in any dictionaries up here.
ah man don't be so harsh on Brissie, I'm really happy here. I think it's a really good compromise in that it's the 3rd biggest so it's still big enough but laid back.... admittedly I have a school age child and it's great from that point of view, definitely I think over Sydney or Melb.

But I teach Ableton here and I seem to come across plenty of pretty inspired and driven people really into their music. There's probably more in syd/melb sure, but there would also be a lot more competition.

Weather's probably better here than anywhere - occasionally too hot in summer, (or wet as you know!) but generally much more consistent than the others that are a bit more extreme. I lived in Sydney for a few years in the 90s and had a lot of fun there, but I'm much happier here - it's spread out, green and lush while southern Australia is like dry desert.

Plus we have sunshine coast, gold coast and Byron all up the road.

Depends what you're into though I guess.

If I did have to choose an alternative though I think it would be melbourne.

flowdesigner

Post by flowdesigner » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:00 am

Sibanger wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is sooo true. Perth people are practically dead, but still somehow manage to breath occasionally.Usually when they have a bong in their hand.

(Some of my best friends are from Perth) :wink:
Sounds great, but is not perth actually more expensive for paying rent than brisbane?

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:08 am

Forge. wrote:
ah man don't be so harsh on Brissie, I'm really happy here. I think it's a really good compromise in that it's the 3rd biggest so it's still big enough but laid back.... admittedly I have a school age child and it's great from that point of view, definitely I think over Sydney or Melb.

But I teach Ableton here and I seem to come across plenty of pretty inspired and driven people really into their music. There's probably more in syd/melb sure, but there would also be a lot more competition.

Weather's probably better here than anywhere - occasionally too hot in summer, (or wet as you know!) but generally much more consistent than the others that are a bit more extreme. I lived in Sydney for a few years in the 90s and had a lot of fun there, but I'm much happier here - it's spread out, green and lush while southern Australia is like dry desert.

Plus we have sunshine coast, gold coast and Byron all up the road.

Depends what you're into though I guess.

If I did have to choose an alternative though I think it would be melbourne.
Don't get me wrong, Brisbane is probably a great place if you have kids. I don't have any nor do have a desire to have any.

Culturally it is a waste land. If you want to get fucked up and act like a right moron in the city, this is the place for you.
In regards to night life diversity it is a joke. The Queensland government has all but suffocated left of centre venues with fire code regulations and alcohol licencing fees.

That being said, there has been a great development in the Punk and Hardcore sence just slightly North of Brisbane in industrial estates. Not that that is my "scene" but it is good to see something developing and sticking around that isnt that same old thang.