I need to see my harddrives with real names...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
MarkyGoldstein

I need to see my harddrives with real names...

Post by MarkyGoldstein » Sun May 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Seeing my harddrives as C:, D:, F:, etc. is not good enough, because I have named them as

C: System
G: Projects
F: Sampler Material
H: Audio Files

etc.

Please show this names as they are shown in "My Computer".

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun May 04, 2008 2:53 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sun May 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Get a real computer...

Kristijonas

Post by Kristijonas » Fri May 09, 2008 5:24 pm

:)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat May 10, 2008 1:34 am

option B: a real programmer

(sorry, abe)

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat May 10, 2008 1:42 am

i see that energy xt also does not show the volume names for windows...

so are you guys saying it's technically impossible, or are you just being dicks

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat May 10, 2008 2:08 am

yes, I have long thought that the lack of names is pretty crappy.

I'm so glad that we got some helpful twunt advice. Perhaps I better get one of those "real computers" that the church designates as ... oh wait
User feedback and internal testing indicates that recent changes introduced by Apple in Mac OS X 10.5.2 can cause audio dropouts and similar problems on Macbook/Macbook Pro computers.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat May 10, 2008 9:47 am

Angstrom wrote:yes, I have long thought that the lack of names is pretty crappy.

I'm so glad that we got some helpful twunt advice. Perhaps I better get one of those "real computers" that the church designates as ... oh wait
User feedback and internal testing indicates that recent changes introduced by Apple in Mac OS X 10.5.2 can cause audio dropouts and similar problems on Macbook/Macbook Pro computers.
You could have quoted flaws in vista, but the weekend is only that long... :lol:

Turn airport off, problem fixed...

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 pm

my point was less a comparison of flaws, but that when someone asks a question there are some responses that are pointless and beyond tedious.

Q: why doesn't my software show drive names?
A: spend a few thousand pounds and completely change your hardware platform to solve this problem. BTW my computer is the BEST!!11!1

yes, excellent response.
Must remember to jump in on the next mac thread with something similar.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91215

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat May 10, 2008 1:49 pm

Angstrom wrote:my point was less a comparison of flaws, but that when someone asks a question there are some responses that are pointless and beyond tedious.

Q: why doesn't my software show drive names?
A: spend a few thousand pounds and completely change your hardware platform to solve this problem. BTW my computer is the BEST!!11!1

yes, excellent response.
Must remember to jump in on the next mac thread with something similar.
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91215
Whats the point getting all worked up about it? Like its the first stupid response on this forum ever. Like it only happens on the subject of mac and pc's?
If I had a Euro for every "clever mac bash" I received from Machinate, I'd probably still owe him for all the "not so clever pc bashes" he received from me.

On the topic at hand, its either an oversight or a platform specific limitation. Just like having to reboot live every time you add a MIDI port in windows. Or on mac, you have to turn off the airport not to get glitches (some macs at least).
So its a valid feature request, versions should be identical on all platforms.

As for the thread you linked.. For all we know he's running PPC plugins on his Intel mac.

Man I'm so looking forward to IT Crowd season 3. I heard Moss is "switching". Oh the hilarity will ensue :lol:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat May 10, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm not massively worked up about it, but I do find it a bit weak.
It's like getting rickrolled, but less funny because theres a terrible sense that the person who uses the stock platform response actually means it. And even as a joke its even more played than rickrolling.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat May 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm not massively worked up about it, but I do find it a bit weak.
It's like getting rickrolled, but less funny because theres a terrible sense that the person who uses the stock platform response actually means it. And even as a joke its even more played than rickrolling.
I get where you come from. But after all these years, this stuff just fades into the background in my view. You learn to ignore it.
If you didn't comment on it, somebody else would have..
The point being that the conversation is always the same.
I'd say that I speak from experience, but I know you even have more experience on this subject. The subject being endless pointless forum wars...
And there's always a stimulus, today it was a CDM article I guess :wink:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat May 10, 2008 2:37 pm

hoffman2k wrote:The subject being endless pointless forum wars...
No, the stimulus was the 3rd post in this thread that suggested that the solution to the problem of getting drive names to show up was to get an entirely different computer. Perhaps this "get a mac" thing is still considered a joke? Although I'm not sure how

it's equivalent to the exchange: "Hey, why do the houses on my street have no numbers on the doors?" answer .. "Move the US of A, a proper country!". Unbridled patriotism / brand loyalty showing up in an inappropriate place. Anyone exhibiting this behaviour usually tries to pass it off as humour to hide the lameness, but if then asked them .. do you actually hold the view you espoused in this 'humour', they usually do. It's freakish brand loyalty with a sheen of 'I am cooler / holier / more righteous than thou, so any occasion is an appropriate occaision'. It's plain weird.

I pointed out how lame it was to answer a legitimate post by suggesting the problem was with the hardware/OS. My response post from CDM was to show that each platform has issues

forge

Post by forge » Sat May 10, 2008 3:21 pm

Angstrom wrote:
No, the stimulus was the 3rd post in this thread that suggested that the solution to the problem of getting drive names to show up was to get an entirely different computer. Perhaps this "get a mac" thing is still considered a joke? Although I'm not sure how

it's equivalent to the exchange: "Hey, why do the houses on my street have no numbers on the doors?" answer .. "Move the US of A, a proper country!". Unbridled patriotism / brand loyalty showing up in an inappropriate place. Anyone exhibiting this behaviour usually tries to pass it off as humour to hide the lameness, but if then asked them .. do you actually hold the view you espoused in this 'humour', they usually do. It's freakish brand loyalty with a sheen of 'I am cooler / holier / more righteous than thou, so any occasion is an appropriate occaision'. It's plain weird.

I pointed out how lame it was to answer a legitimate post by suggesting the problem was with the hardware/OS. My response post from CDM was to show that each platform has issues
It's funny though, if you'd come to Berlin last year and met Niklas you would have read it very differently because you could picture him saying it and it would all make sense

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat May 10, 2008 3:44 pm

forge wrote:
Angstrom wrote:

It's funny though, if you'd come to Berlin last year and met Niklas you would have read it very differently because you could picture him saying it and it would all make sense
Niklas literally sleeps between vintage computers. I wouldn't at all be surprised if by "real computer" he means one running Linux.
Which still would be a bad thing, but less anger would have been expressed if the comment wasn't followed by an image of a Mac browser.

There's less displaced anger towards linux users I guess.