Battery Outputs

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
supster

Battery Outputs

Post by supster » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:31 am

Question for those using NI Battery in Live 4:

I want to use Battery the way Impulse works: route individual outputs into an effect track, to say, delay a rimshot or add reverb to a snare.

How do you configure the outputs in Battery so that the *maximum* number of outs will be available to an effects track?

I should be able to do this, but it is not working because it is either too late at night or I am retarded ...

supster

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:15 am

I have the same problem. My max outputs are not available. If you go to NI's web site and go to the Battery forum, you will see that as great as Battery is, it is littered wih bugs. Looks as if NI are focusing on Kontackt and the like. It's a shame because Battery is a kick ass sampler for beats.
But you're sill a retard :wink: :lol:

Former Pharaoh

Post by Former Pharaoh » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:33 pm

Woah! It actually works now! What I did was open up Battery by itself and made the desired audio settings. Then i reopened Battery inLIVE and wala, all the outputs now show.
I now can put Battery in a midi track and set the output to an audio track. In the audio track i select Battery and the menu below dispalys all the outputs available.

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:14 pm

The way I do it is load a Battery kit, Shift-Click all the bass drum sounds, and on the bottom right corner of Battery I change the 1/2 to 3/4. Then I select the Snares and Claps, scroll the 1/2 to 5/6. Select all the Hats and Cymbols, scroll to 7/8. In Live's Session view mixer I create 3 different audio tracks and select "Battery" as the input, and 3/4 for the the first audio track, 5/6 for the second, 7/8 for the third.

Battery then has the following:

1/2 = Sound effects
3/4 = Bass Drum
5/6 = Snare, Claps
7/8 = Hats, Cymbols

I add Live's EQ-3 to each audio track and assign the volume faders to the first 4 sliders of my Keystation 88. I also assign the first 4 columns of knobs to accomodate each audio tracks EQ-3. This is why I love the Keystation 88 so much! You can do the same with the UC-33e.

Inside the RED box are the EQs for the Bass Drum and Volume Fader for the Bass Drum. I just continue mapping across for each audio track and instrument.

Accidents are the portal to discovery!

supster

Post by supster » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:08 am

k ... thanks guys

I think I am getting my head around this thing:

Battery has a potential 8 stereo outs, and 16 mono

This is a total of 24 channels

However, in Live - when routing to an audio track - I only get a total of 17

No matter how I set it up in Battery (2 stereos, max monos - 5 stereos, max monos, whatever) I only get 17 showing in the chooser

I seem to recall Cubase SX gave me all 24 outs. Was this right?

Or am I now not only retarded, but yet also a dork?

supster

PS Mark: nice setup, I do have a UC-33 ... going to mess with that thx

supster

Post by supster » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:09 am

Oh: also ...

Channel 1/2 never shows up at all in the chooser. It always starts with 3/4, or 3 in the case of all mono tracks.

Why?

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:28 am

supster wrote:Channel 1/2 never shows up at all in the chooser. It always starts with 3/4, or 3 in the case of all mono tracks.
Why?
The Midi track that you drag the Battery plugin to is also audio output 1/2.
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:36 am

Personally, for multi-out plugs, including Battery and Impulse, I use an audio track for output 1-2, and have the instrument set to output send only, so it has no direct sound output. All drum audio tracks have their output sent to a Drums bus (audio track), which I can use to control the overall drum volume. I like having the instrument distinct from its output channels so that I can mess with outs 1-2 without accidentally doing something that would affect the other channels.

jh