Simple VOCODER Question...be nice!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mr Mowgli

Simple VOCODER Question...be nice!

Post by Mr Mowgli » Tue May 13, 2008 7:36 pm

Hey, Ive been proucing for a while, and only just got into the worl of vocoders, I am aware of all the different vocoders you can get Orange, Virus, Vokator ect, however, Ive tried out a couple (Orange & MDA) and Im just not getting it, either I'm think, or its a bit more complicated than i thought.

For example, all i want to do is Mix a bassline and have some hints of vocals coming into the bassline, when I follow online tutorails for the Orange Vocoder, All I get is sounds from inside the oranbge vocoder, and I cant seem to just mix two of my own sounds, arrrrrrgh! Im sure its really simple but I'm lacking that knowledge, ask me to master A track and your talking my world, but Vocders...aaaah....can anyone help?
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 8:17 pm

This is just my opinion, and I'm just one guy, but go for Vokator if you can get a copy. It's been discontinued by NI, but you hear it more and more every day. That is not just a vocoder, but probably my favorite synth as well.

If you look at the Beatport top 10 going back through this year, I'd estimate nearly half of the tracks hat pretty serious spectral processing going on, and a very high percentage of that is Vokator.

It's got a bit of a learning curve, but you have 4(!) LFO's and 2 step sequencers that you can map to _anything_ .... in terms of just bein fun to design sound on, I enjoy it even more than Massive, which is definitely number two in my book for the fun-factor.

Hope this helps, feel free to ping with questions,

Chris

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:25 pm

I've heard (and used) Vokator and it's an excellent program. I'm sure its featured on a ton of tarcks but so is something as simple as a cheap microkorg... it's all over the Mikel Metal album "Victimizer" which is one of my favorite records from the last few years.

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 8:49 pm

thelike5 wrote:I've heard (and used) Vokator and it's an excellent program. I'm sure its featured on a ton of tarcks but so is something as simple as a cheap microkorg
absolutely, I don't mean to say it's the be-all-and-end-all of vocoders, but if you listen to the hottest producers right now, there's a lot of vokator.

(drei tage wach for the germans among us - ützenkirchen is using vokator on a lot of stuff, Sebastian Leger as well (i never though i'd hear a guitar riff on a track from him, just check out the beatport charts.)

I don't have a copy myself at the moment, and i have had no luck on ebay, so i've been using the demo to bounce tracks to file which works quite well.

cheers,

.cm

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Vocoder is a really exotic effect...

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 11:32 pm

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 13, 2008 11:35 pm

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 pm

sorry, hit send too quick.

that's been number one in the german club charts since what, january?

ok, admittedly it's because the lyrics are hilarious, it's about being awake for three days running. and a lot of the people can identify with that in the club scene. but that's a big fat vokator in the middle.

there's a lot of vocoder going on generallu, check out sebastien leger's recent stuff, putting guitars through vododers - turn out to sound fantastic. i think the track is called like words, or worlds, or wonks or something. check on beatport.

that being said, vokator is almost more a synth that can do some really neat stuff off a second input more than a classic vocoder. that's like calling an aston martin a car.

cheers,

chris
Last edited by three on Tue May 13, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 11:43 pm

three wrote:check out sebastien leger's recent stuff, putting guitars through vododers - turn out to sound fantastic. i think the track is called like words, or worlds, or wonks or something. check on beatport
yeah, sebastien leger, track is "word (original mix)" if you want to listen to it on beatport - it's vokator all the way.

.cm

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 13, 2008 11:44 pm

three wrote:
three wrote:it's vokator all the way.

.cm
IT SUCKS

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 11:47 pm

the last thing i plan on doing is waging a holy war in favor of vocoders - for sure not.

and the second last thing i'm going to do is confuse capitalism with art, but that track was the #1 download on beatport for a goooood month. for about three weeks you couldn't fin a dj that wasn't playing it twice a night.

so if all of that adds up to enough financial padding to spend the summer making music without worrying about the bills, weell, then i'm all for it ;p

anyway, enough vocoding silliness.

have a good one man,

chris

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue May 13, 2008 11:51 pm

you cool mon... be irie...

Vocoder is nice... not on Vocals...