Follow action and tempo automation

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
lapieuvre

Follow action and tempo automation

Post by lapieuvre » Tue May 13, 2008 7:24 am

Hi,

I am building a set in Live 7.0.5 in session view, but I am using arrangement view to control the tempo. (the song has fluctuations of tempo). Now I use the first 20 measures of arrangement view to call the tempo (120bpm), so I trigger scene 1 in session along with bar 1 of arrangement (same midi note call on scene 1 and measure 1 of arrangement). Now when I call scene 2 (session) and bar 20, everything works fine, but If I put a follow action on scene 2 it jumps automatically to the next scene (scenee 3) I don't want to trigger scene 3, I just want to be able to call it on rehearsals, so that is why I put a follow action. Any Ideas why it doesn't respect the follow action?

Thanks,

T.

three

Re: Follow action and tempo automation

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 pm

lapieuvre wrote:I am building a set in Live 7.0.5 in session view, but I am using arrangement view to control the tempo.
this is your problem.

if you're working in session view, do everything in session view.

hope this helps,

chris

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Fri May 16, 2008 8:44 am

Thanks, but If I want to bring tempo audomation, like a lot of songs in this world don't follow a steady tempo, how would I do it?

T.

three

Post by three » Fri May 16, 2008 9:37 pm

How drastic is the tempo change? You can make a series of scenes, 96-100, 100-104, 104-108, etc ... 124-128 for example.

I'm not aware of any way to do it smoothly in session view, though you could try automating tempo in arrangement view and bringing those clips back to session view (hold mouse on clip and hit tab)

HTH,

Chris

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Mon May 19, 2008 5:03 pm

If it's all prepared in advance you could map a midi controller to tempo and record a midi clip which does the transition...

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon May 19, 2008 5:43 pm

wouldnt it be possible (pure speculation here since i dont work in arrangement view whatsoever) to setup a locator and a midibutton to back to arrangement then just hi the locator button and the back to arrangement, then just continue working in session view after the change?

like i said, pure speculation here since i never work in arrangement view whatsoever, except for cutting and editing small bits for loops to put back into the session view.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Thu May 22, 2008 1:57 am

to setup a locator and a midibutton to back to arrangement then just hi the locator button and the back to arrangement, then just continue working in session view after the change?
In fact, what I do is set a locator in arrangement view, and assign a midi mapping (let's say C4). In session view, I also assign C4 to the beginning of the song, so the clips follow the tempo automation in arrangement view. I beleive that I have problems because my set is so large (1h30 long) that Live starts to struggle. I also have too many tracks... (around 150)

T.