what RAM for MBP? (don't understand the specs)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
misteron

what RAM for MBP? (don't understand the specs)

Post by misteron » Wed May 14, 2008 2:16 pm

Hi All,
I want to buy 4GB RAM for my soon to be purchased MBP but I don't understand all the specs associated with RAM / if they matter etc.
The built in RAM is
667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 1GB)

RAM with the above spec at crucial.com varies LOTS in price depending on the other specs (ECC, fully buffered, cl=x etc)

So what should I be looking for?
Does it even need to be the same type of RAM as Apple normally use?

Thanks alot.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Wed May 14, 2008 2:56 pm

If you are replacing the chips in your machine, some of that stuff doesn't matter. If you are adding chips, they need to be an exact match.

Find out exactly what RAM you need at crucial.com, then go to newegg.com and enter those specs in their search menus. Then it's just a matter of selecting a brand. newegg.com is a lot cheaper.

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed May 14, 2008 3:15 pm

Personally I would trust the curcial.com finder.

Which one you need depends on the logic board that's in your MBP.

In my case (a 2.2Ghz) needs:

4GB kit (2GBx2)

Part #: CT687594 •
DDR2 PC2-5300 •
CL=5 • Unbuffered •
NON-ECC •
DDR2-667 •
1.8V •
256Meg x 64

And it's supercheap so why wouldn't you do it!

so the question is which model do you have?
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Wed May 14, 2008 3:23 pm

just be aware that if you install third party RAM into your MBP it invalidates the applecare that you may have! Well I think it does!

EDIT
I just check the price and my lord that is good!

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 pm

chalkline wrote:just be aware that if you install third party RAM into your MBP it invalidates the applecare that you may have! Well I think it does!

EDIT
I just check the price and my lord that is good!
the price is unbelievable!

Apple are cool with you changing your RAM, that's why they make it easy.

When I called in my wife's macbook thay asked if it had stock RAM & HD since they are both easy to change. The tech said it was just to make sure that they didn't replace them! Which I guess is fair enough
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 pm

chalkline wrote:just be aware that if you install third party RAM into your MBP it invalidates the applecare that you may have! Well I think it does!
Who gives a crap, just stick the RAM that came with the machine back in before you take it in to be looked at.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed May 14, 2008 3:30 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
Who gives a crap, just stick the RAM that came with the machine back in before you take it in to be looked at.
+1

It's a little bit more of an issue with replacing the HD in the MBP, which I'm planning on doing this evening.
rolymiller.com

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 pm

mohler wrote:
sparklepuff wrote:
+1

It's a little bit more of an issue with replacing the HD in the MBP, which I'm planning on doing this evening.
Yeah, but you can still stick the original HD back in, too. I've already upgraded my MBP hard drive twice, and plan on doing it again in couple weeks when that 7200rpm 320GB hitachi hits the streets.

misteron

Post by misteron » Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 pm

Looks like I'll be replacing the built-in RAM completely as I need 4GB and AFAIK any laptop only has 2 slots for RAM, right?

Is there any problem with removing ALL the ram and completely replacing it?
This will be my first MAC so I'm not sure what to assume and don't want to screw up coz i have a gig coming up and no time to lose.
mohler wrote:which model do you have?
I'll be getting (ordering today / tomorrow) the 15" 2.4GHz MBP wiht 720rpm HDD.
So what details do I need to know about my logic board? And can I find that on the AppleStore site?

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed May 14, 2008 3:34 pm

misteron wrote:Looks like I'll be replacing the built-in RAM completely as I need 4GB and AFAIK any laptop only has 2 slots for RAM, right?

Is there any problem with removing ALL the ram and completely replacing it?
This will be my first MAC so I'm not sure what to assume and don't want to screw up coz i have a gig coming up and no time to lose.
mohler wrote:which model do you have?
I'll be getting (ordering today / tomorrow) the 15" 2.4GHz MBP wiht 720rpm HDD.
So what details do I need to know about my logic board? And can I find that on the AppleStore site?
you don't need to know anything else just get yourself to crucial.com and plug in those details.

It will answer your questions
rolymiller.com

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed May 14, 2008 3:34 pm

sparklepuff wrote: Yeah, but you can still stick the original HD back in, too. I've already upgraded my MBP hard drive twice, and plan on doing it again in couple weeks when that 7200rpm 320GB hitachi hits the streets.
Are you having a laugh?

they're just round the corner! Top of the range! Then perhaps I'll hold off!
rolymiller.com

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed May 14, 2008 3:36 pm

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed May 14, 2008 3:37 pm

mohler wrote:
sparklepuff wrote: Yeah, but you can still stick the original HD back in, too. I've already upgraded my MBP hard drive twice, and plan on doing it again in couple weeks when that 7200rpm 320GB hitachi hits the streets.
Are you having a laugh?

This is no laughing matter

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed May 14, 2008 3:38 pm

rolymiller.com

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed May 14, 2008 3:43 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
mohler wrote:
Are you having a laugh?

This is no laughing matter
I'm not laughing, I want 2......NOW
rolymiller.com