Novation SL automapping

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Majnun

Novation SL automapping

Post by Majnun » Tue May 13, 2008 5:28 am

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb... how do i set up the control service preferences so that the SL controls the parameters of devices in Live? The faders on the SL are correctly changing the track volume, and if i change the params of a device (analog) in Live the SL shows the updated value in its LCD... put changing the encoders on the SL has no effect on the device (analog), even when it's locked to it.

what dumb noob mistake am I making?

thanks in advance!

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 8:59 pm

hey majnun, i've got a remote zero sl on my desk here, and, IMHO, it's not perfect even when it's at its best.

so a couple of questions to start off;

- do you think automap is working correctly?

- have you read the manual to learn how the templates work?

if you can give me an idea whether automap is the problem, or it's a template issue, i'm sure we can get you sorted.

cheers,

chris

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue May 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Have you set it up in preferences as a control surface?

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 9:57 pm

yes, it is set up as a control surface.

how do you have yours set up?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:06 pm

I don't have one, i was just asking the most obvious question.
Have you tried novation's support?

three

Post by three » Tue May 13, 2008 10:08 pm

ah, ok, sorry. i was offering the original poster help as well - my novation is working fine. i probably wouldn't buy it again if i could take the choice back, but it works. (i dream of motorfaders)

evanb

Post by evanb » Wed May 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Make sure you are using template 40 and it works like a charm, also make sure to register any of your vsts in the automap plugin area so that they will be mapped as well. Make sure you have it set in ableton preferences under port 2 for both in and out and the set your track and remotes which i cant remember but its right there in the manual if u search for ableton

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Thu May 15, 2008 1:53 am

Thanks all... Sorry i've been busy at work or i'd get back to you sooner...

Going to try a few more things tonight, then if i can't get it to work I'll post some pix of my preferences configuration in Live and SL Automapping server.

Majnun

Post by Majnun » Thu May 15, 2008 4:16 am

okay apparently i had a really old OS (1.0-something or other, current version is 4.0-something or other). So old auomap installer didn't update anything properly, or didn't actually install anything or something.

Had to update the OS, and globals, and templates using midi-ox and sysex send.

Then i ran the installer, got some more options during install than before, and was prompted to upload the OS and templates again via the installer, so i did that. And NOW it is controlling things just fine.

YAY!!!!

Thanks!

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu May 15, 2008 7:07 pm

I just got the Remote 25SL yesterday. Like most MIDI controllers, it required a bit of manual searching. Once I upgraded the hardware things seemed to work pretty well.
I had problem having it control Live 7 instruments. However, then I read that for Automap, you need to make sure you leave Ports I/O #1 for Automap and use another port for the DAW. I hope that will fix things further.
It worked wonderfully with Reason. Like magic. Very nice keys and a huge step-up from M-Audio O2.
To the reader who wished he had not bought the 25SL--why?
Mechanized faders/knobs would be a steep price, no?

three

Post by three » Fri May 16, 2008 9:26 pm

feyshay wrote: To the reader who wished he had not bought the 25SL--why?
My problem with the Novation, though I generally love it, is the as I said no motorfaders/ not all pots endless.

I tend to have a _lot_ of tracks in anything I do. Each drum element in the kit is its own MIDI track, etc. So 20-30+ tracks is not unusual. When I use the Remote Zero to control track levels, and switch pages of tracks on the Zero, for example from 1-8 to 9-16, all of the faders are wherever they were for 1-8.

So in order to use them I have to check where the current track level is, check where the fader is, put the fader in the correct place, and by them the part I wanted to edit is long gone.

I want to be able to just hit the fader when I want to change the track without having to check it's setting first.

Know what I mean?

Chris

evanb

Post by evanb » Fri May 16, 2008 9:30 pm

I know what you mean aside from the short faders that is my biggest gripe

three

Post by three » Fri May 16, 2008 9:55 pm

evanb wrote:I know what you mean aside from the short faders that is my biggest gripe
Yeah, the short faders compound the problem. They're really hard to just give a little "nudge" .... you know?

Cheers,

Chris

thuzen4bWbQnXr

Automap GUI not showing up on Novation ReMOTE 61 SL

Post by thuzen4bWbQnXr » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:26 pm

Have any of you guys come across this problem? I went ahead and followed majnun's tips on updating the OS. Now Automap shows up on the taskbar as if it's open, but there's no GUI when I click on it.

Interestingly, there is fully tweakability between the ReMOTE 61 SL and Live, and all the encoders show up correctly, it' just the transparent black Automap screen that seems stuck somewhere and not visible.

It's the Automap server that is actually the problem it seems. I tried reinstalling the latest update off the Novation website, rebooting, closing Live, opening it again, all the usual things.

Thanks to everyone reading this. It was cool to find some people dealing with the same thing.

three

Re: Automap GUI not showing up on Novation ReMOTE 61 SL

Post by three » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:40 pm

hanaleiheart wrote:it' just the transparent black Automap screen that seems stuck somewhere and not visible.
is there supposed to be more? I've never seen anything else in the Automap server....

Chris