Which Mouse for Mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
contakt321

Which Mouse for Mac

Post by contakt321 » Mon May 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a mouse. I don't much care if it's wired or unwired as it's for home use. One mouse I am disinterested in is the Mac Mighty Mouse, I have one, it's crap and the ball thingy always craps out (everyone in my office has one, they have all stopped working).

Here is what I need:

- two buttons
- prefer a way to scroll both up and down and left and right
- maybe a nub instead of a scroll ball or wheel
- laser (not ball)
- comfortable

Anyone know a good mouse for mac that fits the description?

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 pm

i've heard a lot of bad about the mighty mouse. Mine has worked well for about 4 or 5 months.

I hope it lasts. Most of my graphic design friends use this logitech mouse. I would think that means something

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 0&cl=us,en
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Mon May 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Put some cheese out by your USB port before you go to bed and see what happens.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon May 19, 2008 8:31 pm

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 1&cl=us,en

i use this one. can pick them up dirt cheap now. if you're in the UK, they're available at play.com

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks guys!

Gary, I think I am going to grab the cordless version to have one less cord on my desk. 20 cords seems to be enough for me.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:52 pm

After using trackballs for years, I'd never go back to chasing a mouse around a desk.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Mon May 19, 2008 10:00 pm

hambone1 wrote:After using trackballs for years, I'd never go back to chasing a mouse around a desk.
+ 1

they are strange at first, but once it clicks you never look back.

nuxnamon

go trackball

Post by nuxnamon » Mon May 19, 2008 10:29 pm

Try a kensington expert mouse pro trackball.. i configured it so that the buttons do

cut, copy, paste, duplicate, switch views (session/arrangement), breakpoint editing..

really a time saver and I can't even go back to a mouse.. definitely worth the money.. and each of those buttons is configurabe for different applications and be saved...

kinda of pricey but defenitely worth the price..

BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie » Mon May 19, 2008 10:54 pm

doc holiday wrote:
hambone1 wrote:After using trackballs for years, I'd never go back to chasing a mouse around a desk.
+ 1

+2, I think a good heavy ball is the best
lights, drums, techno

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 am

Anything Logitech gets my vote.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Tue May 20, 2008 7:00 am

I'm happy with my Mighty Mouse Wireless. Spare 1 Usb port, works everywhere and you decide the weight by putting 1 or two batteries inside. Scrolls left right up down.
Drawbacks: If Bluetooth is off at boot it takes almost 1 minute to get recognized.
Battery life, 5 months.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

UnCL0NED

Razer Pro|click v1.6

Post by UnCL0NED » Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 am

Hey contakt321,

At my current job I'm using both a Wacom tablet and a mighty mouse. We have three mac work stations and 1 mouse died already after only being used for 6 months. My colleague's mouse is having problems all the time (no scrolling at random times). The tablet is ideal for the work I do (graphic), and I prefer it much over the mighty mouse.

But at home for "Live" I use the Razer Pro|click v1.6 High Precision Mouse:

http://www.razerpro.com//index.php?opti ... &Itemid=45

I've had both a wireless mouse, which has given more problems than pleasure (battery died when I didn't want it to; connection problems) and a trackball, which gave me RSI (belief it or not).

Since I'm using this "much praised by hardcore gamers" mouse, I've never had any problems. It's ergonomicly well designed and has more freely assignable buttons than you'll ever need (7). It is very precise which requires a little getting used to, but once you're used to it, everything else you're gonna use will feel slow/unprecise/uncomfortable. The only thing it doesn't have is a sidescroller, but I'm using the trackpad on my macbook pro for that.

I just wanted to share my experience with you.
Good luck with your mousehunting,
UnCL0NED :D

Timur

Post by Timur » Tue May 20, 2008 8:16 am

BongoBennie wrote:
doc holiday wrote:
+ 1

+2, I think a good heavy ball is the best
I'm trying out trackballs at the moment, but find them very problematic for high desktop resolutions. I first tried a Logitech Cordless TrackMan Optical, but the lack of ball-bearing lead to too much resistance and fast movements would not be tracked properly (mousepointer just vibrated). Now I'm trying an ITAC mouse-trak Evolution, which can deal with any speed, but the base sensitivity of the ball-bearings is too low for a large 1920x1200 desktop (eventhough it even uses a 2-step mouse-accelleration).

With both trackballs I simply cannot move the mouse-pointer from one side of the screen conviniently while with my MX518 mouse I can do it within a 5 cm radius at 1600 DPI and still be able to point to every single pixel (especially when lowering its sensitivity via the provided buttons). I really wanted to like trackballs, but when even a large ball type industry-grade trackball like the Evolution can't deal with large resolutions then they are a relict of the past.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

My girlfriend has a Kensington Trackball so I am going to borrow that for the week.

If not I am going to snag a Razor or a Logitech as suggested.

As for the Mighty Mouse...I love Apple but F____ their crappy mice. We have them on all of our computers at work and everyone has problems with the scroll wheel. Mine only scrolls up, one co-workers doesn't scroll down, another guys doesn't work at all. F-that. Especially at that price.

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Tue May 20, 2008 3:04 pm

doc holiday wrote:
+ 1

+1
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer