A Free Utility for Those That DJ With Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jtxx000

A Free Utility for Those That DJ With Live

Post by jtxx000 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Here's a little app I wrote which renames files that have been warped in Live so that the filename contains the tempo. For example, a track "FooBar.wav" that has been warped in Live to 125.20 BPM will become "(125.20) FooBar.wav".

Windows: http://www.annoware.com/downloads/Tempo ... or-WIN.zip
OSX: http://www.annoware.com/downloads/Tempo ... or-OSX.zip

If you DJ with Live, you might find it useful.

cacti

Post by cacti » Sun May 25, 2008 6:33 pm

spanks

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 pm

isn't foobar actually spelled fUbar? meaning "f*cked up beyond all recognition" ?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

three

Post by three » Mon May 26, 2008 2:06 am

Johnisfaster wrote:isn't foobar actually spelled fUbar? meaning "f*cked up beyond all recognition" ?
a) what possible reason would you have for capitalizing the u?

b) wasn't it even worth a quick google search before posting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar

HTH,

Chris

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon May 26, 2008 2:26 am

three wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:isn't foobar actually spelled fUbar? meaning "f*cked up beyond all recognition" ?

b) wasn't it even worth a quick google search before posting? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar

HTH,

Chris
sometimes you have to know when wikipedia is retarded.

FUBAR - fucked up beyond all recognition - came about in the Viet Nam war.

foo, not foobar is the term software guys use. I'm 35 and started writing code 20+ years ago, I've taken many classes, read lots of books, FOO is common to use in examples, not foobar. there are true software dorks up in here, maybe they can chime in.

foo itself came about in WWII when there were 'foo fighters' IOW faux fighters or UFOs or something that looked like an enemy plane.

IMO. probably at this point it's all been tossed about in pop culture, confusing the origins.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon May 26, 2008 2:43 am

Does it also rename the .asd file associated with the track? If not will Live still see the .asd? Great idea though and big props for putting it out there. One reservation I'd have would be that I tend to search for tracks by artist name primarily and this will defeat the alphabetising of lists, not sure how you could get around that as I guess you're wanting to be able to see all your 125bpm tracks in a block. One of the great things about Traktor is it's ability to resort lists based on different criteria ie name, artist, bpm etc

jtxx000

Post by jtxx000 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:52 pm

Yes, it also renames the asd file.

The idea behind putting the tempo in the front is that you can then see which tracks are compatible tempo-wise when sorting by filename. Do you think it would be more useful if, instead of renaming files, it ran alongside Live and showed the tempos, artists, and track names and let you sort based on whichever criteria you wanted?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon May 26, 2008 2:02 pm

This is great stuff! Really nice implementation there.
jtxx000 wrote: Do you think it would be more useful if, instead of renaming files, it ran alongside Live and showed the tempos, artists, and track names and let you sort based on whichever criteria you wanted?
That sounds like a different app altogether - Also extremely cool.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
three wrote:

HTH,

Chris
sometimes you have to know when wikipedia is retarded.

FUBAR - fucked up beyond all recognition - came about in the Viet Nam war.

foo, not foobar is the term software guys use. I'm 35 and started writing code 20+ years ago, I've taken many classes, read lots of books, FOO is common to use in examples, not foobar. there are true software dorks up in here, maybe they can chime in.

foo itself came about in WWII when there were 'foo fighters' IOW faux fighters or UFOs or something that looked like an enemy plane.

IMO. probably at this point it's all been tossed about in pop culture, confusing the origins.
while we're being all pedantic:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/ ... iable.html

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon May 26, 2008 2:29 pm

jtxx000 wrote:Yes, it also renames the asd file.

Do you think it would be more useful if, instead of renaming files, it ran alongside Live and showed the tempos, artists, and track names and let you sort based on whichever criteria you wanted?
That sounds like a very useful app. Especially if it also had multiple sortable columns for things like comments, genre, album, etc.

Something like iTunes, which is a pretty good data base, but that wouldn't hog resources the way iTunes does.

BTW thanks for making this available.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon May 26, 2008 2:39 pm

fishmonkey wrote:while we're being all pedantic:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/M/ ... iable.html
what a fantastic link that is! Thanks!

"foo" and "bar" are all over maxMSP/Jitter, and recently the toto titi tutu ones have snuck in. On a qwerty toto titi tutu are really quickly typed, which is a benefit.

I use "friend", "mate", "chum" a lot :D

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon May 26, 2008 2:47 pm

jtxx000 wrote:Yes, it also renames the asd file.

The idea behind putting the tempo in the front is that you can then see which tracks are compatible tempo-wise when sorting by filename. Do you think it would be more useful if, instead of renaming files, it ran alongside Live and showed the tempos, artists, and track names and let you sort based on whichever criteria you wanted?
That sounds better, particularly if you could load tracks from there. As an aside I do think that Traktor's implemenation of file list sorting and preview is much better than Live's. Also bugs the hell out of me that you can't skip through a track while previewing in the browser. Thanks again.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 pm

muthafunka wrote:Also bugs the hell out of me that you can't skip through a track while previewing in the browser. Thanks again.
Absolutely. This preview/cueing feature is only partially realized.

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Tue May 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Could you provide some information about how you read the asd files? I would be very interested to read the information from the asd file, too....

capo-wear-i

Post by capo-wear-i » Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Could come in handy, thanks !