logic 8 and ableton live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lovesquad

logic 8 and ableton live

Post by lovesquad » Mon May 26, 2008 5:57 am

Im new in ableton. I been using logic (8) for some years.

Are there any people in here who works with theese to programs together ?

How do u set it up ? how do u use it ?

best wishes.

Lovesquad; Copenhagen,Denmark.

a1studmuffin

Post by a1studmuffin » Mon May 26, 2008 6:41 am

If you wanted to use Live for ideas and Logic for the final mixdown, I'd say the best way to work would be to build up your loops in Live then Render -> All Tracks to WAVs, then load those up in Logic and continue the session. (You can use this approach for any sequencer on any platform.) To be honest though, the more you practice, the more you'll probably find you work on the mixdown at the same time you flesh out your ideas. These days in the "mixdown" stage I'm really not doing very much, just cleaning it up with small EQ tweaks, dynamics tweaking and some stereo widening - I've never found it necessary to completely pull a mix apart and start again.
Butter Party: Beatport | Soundcloud | Mixcloud

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon May 26, 2008 6:53 am

These days in the "mixdown" stage I'm really not doing very much, just cleaning it up with small EQ tweaks, dynamics tweaking and some stereo widening - I've never found it necessary to completely pull a mix apart and start again
So a1studmuffin, why do you do this in Logic and not Live ?

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon May 26, 2008 7:06 am

I use both and have a double edged work method.
The first method is the one described already where by most every aspect of composition and arrangment is done in live then rendered and bounced with the final mix being done in Logic. My reasons for this are that the logic plugs suited to this are much better than Lives. Thats not to say you can't get good results using the live native plugs, but i find the logic ones have the edge here.

The second method is to start work in logic, create a bunch pf parts, bounce them and bring them into live then mess about with the sound design as well as all and every variation of the arrangment you can think of.

In my way of thinking i see live as being more of a performance/composition tool and i love it for that, especially the session view where it is very fast putting a song idea together..
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud