Richie Hawtin now using two laptops and a mixer...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Verbal

Richie Hawtin now using two laptops and a mixer...

Post by Verbal » Sat May 31, 2008 7:11 pm

I saw Richie Hawtin at Movement 2008 and noticed he's now using two laptops and a mixer for his sets. I've known him as a diehard turntable user when he performs.

On a local Detroit board, we've been discussing Movement '08 and I started talking about this. I was curious why he'd use two laptops and people quickly snapped at me like I was an idiot saying "He's probably using Live for effects and traktor to DJ." That just seems silly to me...

Why the hell would he use Traktor AND Live when he could just use Live only? I've never used Traktor so I dunno how good it is. But it can't be any better to DJ with than Live is. I said this one the board and no one had any response.

Anyone have any ideas why he'd be using two laptops?

Olga

Post by Olga » Sat May 31, 2008 7:15 pm

Possibly redundancy. He's running an identical setup on both and has them linked so that if one fails or locks up the show will still go on.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 pm

Live and Traktor are 2 totally different programs. With Live you are pretty locked in with what you are going to do with your tracks. Traktor is close traditional DJing with the added ability to jump around tracks and loop. Live can't loop on the fly the way Traktor does. There's other differences but I'm too lazy to list them all.

I still don't know why he'd run Traktor through Live though if that is what he's doing.

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Sat May 31, 2008 7:29 pm

beats me wrote:Live and Traktor are 2 totally different programs. With Live you are pretty locked in with what you are going to do with your tracks. Traktor is close traditional DJing with the added ability to jump around tracks and loop. Live can't loop on the fly the way Traktor does. There's other differences but I'm too lazy to list them all.

I still don't know why he'd run Traktor through Live though if that is what he's doing.
I don't think it is. I was about two rows back when he started and watched him for about a half hour.

He only used one laptop mostly, but did go to the other a couple times.

roby

Post by roby » Sat May 31, 2008 7:50 pm

laptop #1 - Traktor: to DJ proper tracks
laptop #2 - Live: to trigger loops and samples to mix over the Traktor tracks (the same way he used to mix his 808 and 303 with turntables back in the days...)

this seems to me the most likely set up, and i'm basing that to his DE9 work. it is certainly a set up i'm still trying to master myself...

i haven't watched this yet but it may reveal something http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... kttour&L=1
Last edited by roby on Sat May 31, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat May 31, 2008 7:51 pm

what about the beard?? THE BEARD!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sat May 31, 2008 10:53 pm

I think we should take a looke at all those cube photos as well

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:19 am

think ones for music and ones for visuals and both are link

drush

Post by drush » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:08 am

one machine is traktor, the other is Live for efx and the occasional loop. mostly efx. and mostly the Lexicon PSP 42, at that. big part of the reason to keep doing this is his very customized ctrl92 a&h mixer is already built to do that & control things in the manner he prefers.

oh and i wouldn't call him a diehard turntable user. the last 2-3 years it's probably fair to say he's been a reluctant turntable user. it's just that he's been around for 17 years or so.

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:31 am

drush wrote:one machine is traktor, the other is Live for efx and the occasional loop. mostly efx. and mostly the Lexicon PSP 42, at that. big part of the reason to keep doing this is his very customized ctrl92 a&h mixer is already built to do that & control things in the manner he prefers.

oh and i wouldn't call him a diehard turntable user. the last 2-3 years it's probably fair to say he's been a reluctant turntable user. it's just that he's been around for 17 years or so.
I don't think he uses the ctrl mixer anymore. At least it doesn't look like it in all the videos on YouTube.

And like I mentioned, he only used the 2nd laptop once during the 30-45 minutes I was watching him. I doubt it was for efx or clip triggering.

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:34 am

michaellpenman wrote:think ones for music and ones for visuals and both are link
There were no visuals other than lighting at Movement '08.

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:20 am

Verbal wrote:And like I mentioned, he only used the 2nd laptop once during the 30-45 minutes I was watching him. I doubt it was for efx or clip triggering.
well, using that mixer.. that he uses.. means you don't have to look at that computer much. that's the whole idea. esp when 90% of the efx work he's doing is 1 plug-in.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:28 am

lol @ jedi hawtin

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:48 am

Tone Deft wrote:what about the beard?? THE BEARD!!
Beards are today's prerequisite for coolness.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:47 am

He's becoming Tiesto fabulous.

I want to move to the woods.