Fatboy Slim is a great producer...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
chalkline

Post by chalkline » Sat May 31, 2008 7:33 pm

What you also got to remember is that big beach boutique was a free party, so he made no money from ticket sales! I was at that gig and it was madness, that many people in brighton was just crazy.
Ok he would have made a fair penny from the album and dvd sales and other merch but he put hus hand in his pocket to pay for the clean up of the beach, and it really was in a state!
The main thing is that even if he didn't beat match, there was around 250,000 people dancing to him on that beach, and they were there because of him, so that has to say something!!!!

Verbal

Post by Verbal » Sat May 31, 2008 7:49 pm

chalkline wrote:What you also got to remember is that big beach boutique was a free party, so he made no money from ticket sales! I was at that gig and it was madness, that many people in brighton was just crazy.
Ok he would have made a fair penny from the album and dvd sales and other merch but he put hus hand in his pocket to pay for the clean up of the beach, and it really was in a state!
The main thing is that even if he didn't beat match, there was around 250,000 people dancing to him on that beach, and they were there because of him, so that has to say something!!!!
And I'm willing to bet that 75% of those people there thought he was playing Live and had no clue he was just playing records. The same type of person that says "Hey, play some <insert DJ here>" and don't understand that they just play other people's music.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat May 31, 2008 7:53 pm

I still remember him wearing cozy cardigans and playing bass guitar in the geeky indie band The Housemartins in the mid 80's.

Like in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su-Ta9tY ... re=related

I think compared to that, he has come along way musically, financially and image wise.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

kraze

Post by kraze » Sat May 31, 2008 9:11 pm

Well, i live in Sweden, have you ever seen, i don't know what the hell they call themselves, members of the "swedish house mafia"?!

Steve Angello, Eric Prydz, Sebastian Ingrosso, those dudes. They're worse than kids just learning, but FESTIVAL dance dj'ing isn't about skills, it's about rocking the crowd and these dudes rake in the bank like hell.

Norman Cook is a great producer. His 90's stuff is classic, i'm still amazed that he cut through the mainstream audience because there's some crazy stuff going on in those tracks, and at 1AM a nice breezey evening at a uk festival, he knows what to do.

Zimovane

Post by Zimovane » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:07 am

he's laughing all the way to the bank....
No, actually he's laughing at you for buying into the illusion.

Are you people really as dumb as you make out?

Don't answer that...

doc holiday

Re: Fatboy Slim is a great producer...

Post by doc holiday » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:24 am

Verbal wrote:..but he's a joke as a DJ.

Encore is playing a movie of him DJing called Big Beach Boutique. I've caught about 4 mixes and each one isn't a mix. He just slams into the next track and quickly fades the last.

I can't believe he'd DJ in front of 10's of thousands of people and do that bullshit. Pathetic.

they've jacked the art so far out now days skills dont count
fbs great tracks indeed.. never a mix.. lots of wrecks

hambone.. you're a different kind of dj
beatmixing can be an art believe it or not.. i'll cut your son in pieces with some wax.
oh well.. no one notices as the scene is so diluted with dj's that dont mix.

..to all those who say it's only the good tracks that really matters..
you can both play good music..and rock that shit at the same time, don't settle for less.

but i guess millie vanillie was great also

the world is full of BSr's.. and they are all laughing there way to the bank!
all you people saying the real mix doesn't matter can spin stories as good as ole gwb! thats the kinda shit he says to get his way around here.

BongoBennie

Post by BongoBennie » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 am

some people think that sequenced computer music isn't music at all....
lights, drums, techno

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:20 am

BongoBennie wrote:some people think that sequenced computer music isn't music at all....
those people probably don't listen to djs

MUNCHED

Post by MUNCHED » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:50 am

Encore is playing a movie of him DJing called Big Beach Boutique. I've caught about 4 mixes and each one isn't a mix. He just slams into the next track and quickly fades the last.

I can't believe he'd DJ in front of 10's of thousands of people and do that bullshit. Pathetic.

IF u must know u idiot....he played that big air concert at brighton beach NOT knowin what to play...he played songs what he felt were the right time if u must say he is a joke u tell me another 1 man band that created the stuff he created and as far as he is a dj i seen him at GLOBALGATHERING with 3D hglasses and none of his mixin was out u idiot!!!!!
windows vista, intel core 2 duo 3.06 ghz, 4 gig ram,Ableton 8, Xone 4D, traktor scratch PRO!!

MUNCHED

Post by MUNCHED » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:53 am

FATBOY sLIm is a legend...we all know this as i said b4 ge played at that concert and the songs he played he did not have already lined up to play he played what he played...i have the dvd i sen the interview he was in thought of playin space cowboy at the end but decided to play all saints....so.........cop on u idiot!!!!!!!
windows vista, intel core 2 duo 3.06 ghz, 4 gig ram,Ableton 8, Xone 4D, traktor scratch PRO!!

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:23 am

By God was that not the best party Brighton has ever seen.

funknotik

Post by funknotik » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:21 pm

We should respect him just because he is famous. Not because he actually performs well, or mixes skillfully. You know it's all about moving around and throwing your hands in the air in sync with the beat. It's about alot of lights and bullshit to distract you from the fact that he is a shit dj. It's about connecting to the crowd by doing nothing and just pressing play.
Two technics 1210 turntables, alot of guitars, 2gig Sony vgz fz290, 2gig frankenstein pc, mbox, ableton, flstudio, recycle, the infinity gauntlet, and alot of spare time..

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Why all of the insecure DJ-jealousy business?

Some DJs act like they're virtuouso musicians, when they're nothing more than cheerleaders reproducing somebody else's music!

I'm glad to see Live blurring the distinction between DJs and musicians, but IMO, it's what's pumping out of the loudspeakers that entertains the audience that really matters, not the dog-and-pony show that gets it there.

It's show-business.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:21 pm

why is demanding quality entertainment insecurity?
the real dog and pony show is lip syncers and fakers who some how make it to the top.

all the best dj's i have ever seen produce great music also.

the fact that you'll argue skill is not important just shows you have never really seen anyone play with amazing talent.

there is a difference and we should demand it

crap like britney spears is not the direction we need to head. but it is the scenario many describe here.

go see new kids on the block, the whole place will be dancing and screaming.

if that's what your into so be it. it's not for me.

don't believe the hype!

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:27 pm

I don't categorize those who produce and perform their own original music as DJs. They're more musicians in my book, although the distinction can get blurred.

But what I DON'T get is why anyone would want to 'see' a DJ. Talk about 'hype'!
Last edited by hambone1 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.