Training in Ableton DJing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MrTiddles

Training in Ableton DJing

Post by MrTiddles » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Guys

I'm toying with the idea of setting up 'proper' training sessions for people who're switching from Decks to Live for DJing. There seems to be a HUGE demand for it, and I'm fortunate enough to know what I'm on about.

You guys know if anyone can teach Ableton, or do you reckon I'd have to get some sort of certification (if there is any)?

Just thinking out loud, I'd appreciate any feedback, ideas, or questions.

Cheers

Stevie
'Fear makes the wolf look bigger'
http://www.myspace.com/StevieVega
4Tunes: Quad Intel 2.66, Live 8, Lots of VSTs
4Mixing: Macbook Pro, Live 8, APC40, iPad

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:35 pm

outside warping and maybe some advice on setting up your screen (which you should probably figure out for yourself.. as in, what works for you), what is there to know? you either have a good sense of when and how to play what, or you don't. or you develop one, as your sensibilities as a dj mature.

The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:50 pm

you don't really need any certification, you just have to REALLY know what you're doing, and be playing shows and releasing music all the time.

and there is a LOT to know beyond warping and what tunes to play when....

;)
ill gates aka the phat conductor
producer, performer + ableton/music teacher

http://www.illgates.com

capo-wear-i

Re: Training in Ableton DJing

Post by capo-wear-i » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:58 pm

MrTiddles wrote:Guys

I'm toying with the idea of setting up 'proper' training sessions for people who're switching from Decks to Live for DJing. There seems to be a HUGE demand for it, and I'm fortunate enough to know what I'm on about.

You guys know if anyone can teach Ableton, or do you reckon I'd have to get some sort of certification (if there is any)?

Just thinking out loud, I'd appreciate any feedback, ideas, or questions.

Cheers

Stevie
It's not as intuative as a lot of 'ready made' DJ programs out there, so I can see how people get frustrated and need some guidance.

Ableton is so flexible I seriously doubt that you get two people using it in exactly the same way - different effects, MIDI tracks, different techniques etc.. you can only give people some ideas on how they could use.

I think that you'd need to delve into some sort of production overview, or a lot of the stuff might not make sense to the average joe.

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:03 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote: and there is a LOT to know beyond warping and what tunes to play when....

;)
right.. same with djing in general.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:37 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:you don't really need any certification, you just have to REALLY know what you're doing,
agreed

The Phat Conductor wrote:and be playing shows and releasing music all the time.
i'd dispute that

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:25 pm

I have my own theory on those who teach anything high-tech.

I don't think there can be that many decent instructors out there. It's so fast-moving that the only way to keep up to date is to do it, rather than teach it.

And if anyone is really good at it, they're doing it, not teaching it!

"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, evaluate."

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:11 pm

i say go for it.

follow your dreams!!
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Can you give us a list of topics you will cover? You know, like the first day of school. Maybe we can help out more based on that.

MrTiddles

Post by MrTiddles » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:54 pm

Cheers for the replies guys!

I totally agree with Hambone1 about those who can't do teach! I find using ableton quite an organic process, but like everything else there's a steep learning curve. It's a different way of doing things. I bring DJing with it into a context that anyone can grasp. But I'll be focusing on DJ's who wish to make the transition from vinyl/CD to Ableton, and how they can then adapt and enhance their own unique style.

An example of what can be done on the fly is on my myspace, it's the Snow Patrol mashup. The site is old, but there's a pic of my DJ rig and a couple more tunes.

As for the topics they'll range from beginners (warping, mixing, effects etc) to the more advanced mouse-less control, .als set construction.

It seems most Ableton DJ's load all the tunes in 1st then mix them from there. Listen to most Sasha sets, and you'll spot glitches when he applies global changes. this is his hard drive going spastic as it tries to keep up. I've put together a way for Mac and PC of doing away with all the clutter, and allows you to be creative and intuitive.

It's nice to get feedback from guys I really respect on this forum (beats me, Forge, Hambone, Conductor), and it's people like them that make this the board it is, and I thank them.

Anybody reading this with any questions, don't hesitate to either reply to this thread or PM.

Cheers

Stevie
'Fear makes the wolf look bigger'
http://www.myspace.com/StevieVega
4Tunes: Quad Intel 2.66, Live 8, Lots of VSTs
4Mixing: Macbook Pro, Live 8, APC40, iPad

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:18 am

hambone1 wrote:I have my own theory on those who teach anything high-tech.

I don't think there can be that many decent instructors out there. It's so fast-moving that the only way to keep up to date is to do it, rather than teach it.

And if anyone is really good at it, they're doing it, not teaching it!

"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, evaluate."
actually Hambone that is complete bollocks

often the people who are most prolifically "doing it" don't have time to get caught up in upgrade cycles and constantly looking into the technology - in fact most of the time that is a sure fire way to make sure you DON:T get any work done

you even notice it on this forum quite often - prolific people still using older versions of Live

commercial studios often can't afford the downtime in upgrading/ dealing with bugs etc etc

this is one of the reasons Universities exist - there needs to be people spending their time researching and teaching

Patch

Post by Patch » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:30 am

Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

I'd be a great DJ teacher...