Fatboy Slim is a great producer...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Trust me.. Indoor fireworks, lasers, extreme lighting, live video of the audience and the dj closeup/behind decs + other video footage matching to the music, like telling a story etc.

Heh, sometimes i just stand a look around me/at the dj, watching the effects etc without moving. It cna be amazing.

I'd say a lot of bands can't even compete with this. The lasers can be amazing when the beams dance in waves over your head.

For example when tiesto (heh heh) played his remix of Pirates of the Caribean here, fire/explosions rushed over the front of the stage left and right synced with the music, until it all exploded in fireworks shooting up and exploding. Then the lasers started moving. And he had fountains around him with water splashing, also video's on the huge screen behind.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Show-biz lighting/video/pyro/etc can make anything worth watching!

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:19 pm

you asked why some people would go see a dj :)

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:39 pm

This is really is an amusing read!

Im(humble)o... I don't think we live in a just world, especially the world of music and entertainment.. It's not WHAT you know... we ALL know that!

If it was only down to technique I think it would even more anal than it already is..
People want to be entertained and yes the vast majority of 'punters' wouldn't have a clue as to wether somebody like FBS knows how to do all the 'cool' shit a top quality dj may do.. I don't think that is the point..

I don't personally like his music too much, a couple of his tracks for me are ok.. I've never seen him live, and wouldn't go out of my way to. However there are shit-loads of people who think he's the dogs (bollocks that is) and buy his albums and go see him perform. Good for them, it doesn't stop me sleeping at night!

What I'm finding hard to understand and funny, is how many here think it's some sort of crime that he can do what you call 'real' dj'ing.. This is about giving people good time! not wanking off to a bunch train-spotting onlookers who debate as to how he holds his dick!

Like it or not, this is how it's been since the very beginning of pop culture... Just? fair? right?...... We all are competing in the same bullshit world of hierarchy and illusion.
DEAL WITH IT!

Hd

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:44 pm

i think its more fair than most. Afterall, he is a damn good producer creating some pretty special material. Heck he even helped define the big beat genre i'd say. He's not just someone who can beatmatch, he knows his way around a studio i'll bet you on that one. And he obviously plays some of his own stuff live too. Thats more than most other popular figures in the music business. They play OTHER's stuff that people THINK they have made. Fun.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:07 pm

thefool wrote:And he obviously plays some of his own stuff live too. Thats more than most other popular figures in the music business. They play OTHER's stuff that people THINK they have made. Fun.

that's outrageous. if you really believe that you are out of your mind. Most musicians don't go out and DJ, they go out and perform live. So, uh, what? If you had said the *electronic* music business, you might have had an argument there... even so, there are people out there performing their original material live. imagine that!

@ comments about stage show, and more dead horse beating about "rocking the crowd." Sure, that stuff can involve skill and talent, and surely has a place in the world. However, believe it or not, there are still some people out there that are more interested in *music* than entertainment. Some of those people might hold an individual in much higher regard for focusing on music rather than entertainment when they go out to perform. you might even find some of them on a forum full of people who make the shit. Who knew?

I'm not hating on the cat for pulling big audiences, why would i care? But i don't have to think what he's doing has any merit as music. Get it?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:49 pm

that's outrageous. if you really believe that you are out of your mind. Most musicians don't go out and DJ, they go out and perform live. So, uh, what? If you had said the *electronic* music business, you might have had an argument there... even so, there are people out there performing their original material live. imagine that!

many pop groups (destiny's child / sugerbabes/britney/rihanna) don't write the major part of the their stuff. Even rock groups i'm sure you could easily find some without too much hazzle.
I'm not hating on the cat for pulling big audiences, why would i care? But i don't have to think what he's doing has any merit as music. Get it?
I hope sparklepuff comes over and takes a dance on your lovestick
Last edited by thefool on Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:56 pm

drush wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:really? i think his tracks are shit too.
+1
+1
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:57 pm

I don't think people go to see a dj, but to dance to the music that they play.
I mean where would discos be without one!!!!!!!!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:14 pm

thefool wrote:

many pop groups (destiny's child / sugerbabes/britney/rihanna) don't write the major part of the their stuff. Even rock groups i'm sure you could easily find some without too much hazzle.

OK, but that doesn't = most popular figures in the music industry.

y'know, i don't think there is much of a music industry left, there sure is a big entertainment industry, though....

i just want to continue my paralell argument:

Scooter is great music because they sell lots of records. You don't think H.P. Baxter is a great vocalist? You're just jealous, it's not about being a technically great vocalist, it's about rocking the crowd. Yelling "zippedee zippidee doo dah, zippede doo dah rave!" over shitty hardcore with a blue oyster cult sample chucked in it is musical genius.

.lm.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:36 pm

hambone1 wrote:
I can understand going to see musicians perform, but a DJ?
dj's can be musicians. sure there are many who are not, but there are many who are.

In 1990 when I started getting into the local dance music scene in my area, I started to notice the difference between the Juke Box Dj's and the Mixing Dj's

Now back in those days all of the DJ's performing in my town were totally on top of their mixes. There was no one trying to pretend and ride on the wave.

Granted the local Dj's in my neighborhood playing every week were people like Juan Atkins, Claude Young, Mike Huckabee, Richie Rich, Derek May, Alan Oldham.. and on and on.

In fact these people ended up influencing the entire world, they actually cared about their art, and you could feel it. And the world did notice. There were no lights, no transparent drug use, no hype.

To quote Derek May:
"Two Dj's can play the exact same records, and one will play them better"

All you who are arguing its ONLY the show that matters need to rase your standards. If I'm going to pay 20$ to see someone perform.. I want a genuine performance. Not some christ posing arm waving sucker.

Why discredit those who actually master their craft?

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 pm

OK, but that doesn't = most popular figures in the music industry.
That was an overstatement from my side. Agreed. But I want at least a "many popular figures"
y'know, i don't think there is much of a music industry left, there sure is a big entertainment industry, though....
Thats pretty much it :/
Its sad actually. But eh, some people like it.
Scooter is great music because they sell lots of records. You don't think H.P. Baxter is a great vocalist? You're just jealous, it's not about being a technically great vocalist, it's about rocking the crowd. Yelling "zippedee zippidee doo dah, zippede doo dah rave!" over shitty hardcore with a blue oyster cult sample chucked in it is musical genius.
Actually I don't dislike Scooter. If its musically genius or not i won't comment but they rock at what they do. HP Knows how to say it. Millions of sales. Even very popular in Denmark despite not being played much in our radios (the radios suck. Could just be the MTV pop list or fuck. RnB and shitty new rock all way). It shows something, that people actually listen and buy it without its being pressed in your face through radio's and tv.

the newest album, "jumping all over the world" is too much jumpstyle and too much sampled sadly. It doesn't compare to the older ones as The Night or Nessaja. Or their version of The logical song (ramp!) for that sake.

Or how much is the fish..
If I'm going to pay 20$ to see someone perform.. I want a genuine performance. Not some christ posing arm waving sucker.
I paid 120$ for tiesto exclusive transport (which costed another 120$) :lol:

Seriously. 25 000 people, each charged 120$? Thats a big thing to pull off. No matter if you like him or not. I guess he's a bit too commercial for me though. I still went there and had a great time.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:30 pm

see, it's just a matter of opinion.

In mine, sampling a SUPERTRAMP SONG, throwing shit techno under it, and then literally screaming nonsense on top is positively unholy. It is a crime against music. It would be music being your daughter, locking it in a basement dungeon at the age of 15 and repeatedly raping it for more than 20 years.

in case anyone doesn't know, here's a link to this abomination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmEBCTDt2IA

.lm.

thefool

Post by thefool » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Yeah its a matter of opinion. Same with the case of you liking RnB and hiphop and me disliking it :)
It would be music being your daughter, locking it in a basement dungeon at the age of 15 and repeatedly raping it for more than 20 years.
Oh like the austrian tradition?

Spackled Bat

Post by Spackled Bat » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:47 pm

leisuremuffin wrote: in case anyone doesn't know, here's a link to this abomination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmEBCTDt2IA

.lm.
That Sucked! I need to wash out my ears.