DO NOT BUY ANY REFX PRODUCTS !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bleepsnbreaks

DO NOT BUY ANY REFX PRODUCTS !

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:11 am

Hi all,

Just a warning about my experience with reFX.

I sold a bunch of my licenced VSTs etc as I am trimming down the amount that I use to just a few and using more hardware synths. I emailed reFX as I sold my licence for Nexus and an expansion to a commercial music studio.
Michael Hartmann at reFX told me that I could not transfer my licence and that becuase I had attempted to sell my licence that it was being terminated.

WTF?!?!?

They say that its in thier terms and conditions that you cant transfer a licence as they cant tell if you are still using thier software after you transfer to someone else, but its not in ANYTHING thats displayed BEFORE they take your payment and I cant find it in ANY of the email correspondence around the transaction.

Now Im left with some expensive VST that I no longer use/want and cant sell and they are telling me that my licence has been cancelled because I tried to sell it.

As it is, Nexus isnt great, it has problems with sound quality and in my opinion is VERY overpriced. I bought it when I first started getting into production and it had a few sounds I really wanted before I knew how to program a synth myself. I guess if you want that exact sound and you really dont know how to program it then its ok, but I woudlnt have thought that reFX could really afford to be such w4nkers considering that most serious producers consider their software a joke.

So anyway, to any newbs who might be considering buying Nexus or any other reFX product, DONT. They would obvioulsy prefer that you just download thier products from bittorrent rather than buy them.
Thier support is utter rubbish and thier customer service is the worst I have EVER dealt with with any software company, and I have been working in the IT industry for over 12 years so have dealth with a few shockers in the past.
My Tracks on MySpace

Progressive Mix demo(not mixed in Live, mixed with CDJs)

17" Macbook pro 2.4 | Live 6 + Operator

ausgeno

Post by ausgeno » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:13 am

That's really poor of them, sorry to hear it. I've considered buying reFX in the past, I certainly won't now.

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:44 am

never heard of the company personally, but thanks for the heads up. they wont be getting my business if i ever see any of their products i fancy.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:06 am

Good stuff. Name and shame. Keep them on their toes.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:26 am

those guys are dicks.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:55 am

I've never had any problems with them. I just wished they'd stop developing Nexus.

Vanguard is still a stalwart of my collection.

bleepsnbreaks

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:04 am

bensuthers wrote:I've never had any problems with them. I just wished they'd stop developing Nexus.

Vanguard is still a stalwart of my collection.
Yeah, Nexus is an embarrassing part of my production past, which is why I am keen to get rid of it and minimize my personal shame in having bought it when I was starting out by recovering some of my outgoing for it.
My Tracks on MySpace

RhythmSickness

Post by RhythmSickness » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:15 am

I like and own some of their earlier stuff, but I too wish they'd stop developing nexus
G5, G4x2 / G3 Live 3/4/5/6 Reason 2/2.5/3 virb soundclick

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:20 am

I don't have any of their gear, nor do I wish to with stupid policies like this.

If they are that concerned about transferring a license, they should put their stuff on a dongle, (and even most companies with dongled software allow license transfers.)

This is right up there with Waves WUP as the most arseable policy.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

bleepsnbreaks

And heres and update, check out this guys attitude

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:49 am

Heres a transcript of my conversation with Michael Hartmann from reFX.
Check out the attitude of this guy ! He was pretty rude right away but read right to the end to check out the response I just got from them. Talk about being an utter w4nker.

One and all, please pass this on to everyone who ever asks if you have an opinion on reFX's products. Yes, Nexus is a piece of crap, Vanguard is pretty good but do you want to be giving your money to a company who has this kind of attitude about thier customers?

Awefully big of them, hiding behind the fact that they are in another country and hiding behind the internet, I say name and shame on all software companies that think they can treat customers like this....

Read on......

Dave Davies

Posted On: 30 May 2008 09:55 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I have sold my studio set up as I am replacing my computer based studio with hardware. Can you please let me know what the process is to transfer the licenses I have for Nexus and the Bass expansion to the person who has purchased them.

-Thank you.
-Dave.

Michael Hartmann

Posted On: 30 May 2008 02:20 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dave,

we don't allow license transfers as we can't make sure that you don't continue using the software in question. This is covered in our terms of use. As you have already sold your license, we have no choice but to terminate it permanently.

Sorry, but you should have asked *before* selling it.

Regards,
Mike

Dave Davies

Posted On: 03 Jun 2008 01:50 AM

I havent handed anything over to the guy yet, you cant just terminate my licence, there is nothing in your terms and conditions that says you can just terminate my licence at will ! I sold all of my software as a package and have handed over the licences as I got them transferred, he doesnt have Nexus from me yet so you cant just terminate my licence.
So how come yours is the only company out of all the software that I have that wont allow a transfer of licence?
I think you should have a bit more loyalty to the customers who actually buy your software when you consider that you can download the latest versions of your software and every expansion very easily on any torrent site. Give people a reason to actually pay for your software, otherwise the people who dont pay actually have more rights than those who do.
I did not see anything in the terms and conditions BEFORE you took my payment for Nexus and I cant find anything in any of the emails I recieved when making the purchase that state that this is the case. Otherwise I would not have completed the purchase, why would I buy something that is not truely going to be my property? If you are concerned about people continuing to use software after they have transferred licences then perhaps you should develop a more advanced licencing method, perhaps one that calls home.
I would appreciate some correspondence here because I dont think that this is in any way an acceptable way to treat a customer.

Michael Hartmann

Posted On: 03 Jun 2008 04:15 AM

Dave,

you're funny talking about loyalty and being a customer when at the same time you want to sell everything. How is that loyal? The terms of use clearly state that for downloaded or opened software there are no returns, refunds or transfers.

You can't blame us for not reading it before you bought it. You make it sound as if we twisted your arm and forced you to purchase anything from us.

Now you tell us that you want to get rid of everything having to do with us, but at the same time you want to be treated like royalty?

Why you didn't ask, nicely, *before* you sold everything is beyond us. Now you even have the audacity to threaten us with pirated software use? Pirates have more rights? They have NONE. Customers have the rights to use the software, the right to support & updates.

You ceased to be a customer of ours when you sold your software in direct violation of the terms of use.

You can't transfer the license. End of story.

Mike
My Tracks on MySpace

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:59 am

I don't feel like going into my story but I have dealt with the same guy and he was a complete asshole that time as well. What a prick!

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:24 am

wow. what a dick. i'll make sure they receive none of my money. i'll warn my students off them also...
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:29 am

I have to ask, whats the point of terms and conditions if you don't read and understand them. If he clearly says in his terms and conditions that there are no transfers allowed, you had to refuse his terms and conditions at that point.

you are now looking a little like a dick. maybe you should have thought about things BEFORE you bought the software.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:02 am

bensuthers wrote:I have to ask, whats the point of terms and conditions if you don't read and understand them. If he clearly says in his terms and conditions that there are no transfers allowed, you had to refuse his terms and conditions at that point.

you are now looking a little like a dick. maybe you should have thought about things BEFORE you bought the software.
I think that is the point..
It seems to be that the terms and conditions are not available until after you buy the product at which point you have passed over the money and thats that.
I think most developers use the same, or similar kind of agreement.
However, most are a lot more helpful letting you sell licenses that this ding-dong.. the Propellerheads for example are very cool and i think even have a section of the prop shop set up to help..
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

bleepsnbreaks

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:07 am

bensuthers wrote:I have to ask, whats the point of terms and conditions if you don't read and understand them. If he clearly says in his terms and conditions that there are no transfers allowed, you had to refuse his terms and conditions at that point.

now YOU are looking like a d!ck because you cant read forum posts properly. It indeed DOESNT say that in the terms and conditions until after they have already got your credit card number out of you.

You can take reFX's c0ck out of your mouth now. kthx
My Tracks on MySpace