DO NOT BUY ANY REFX PRODUCTS !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bleepsnbreaks

Oh and..

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:11 am

Even if it HAD been available pre-purchase, Can you tell me that you have read the terms and conditions of EVERY piece of software you use?

I very much doubt it...
My Tracks on MySpace

Progressive Mix demo(not mixed in Live, mixed with CDJs)

17" Macbook pro 2.4 | Live 6 + Operator

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:16 am

sure...but you won't find me whinging on an unrelated public forum because I was a dick and didn't read the terms and conditions.

and you are always given the opportunity to READ and DISAGREE with the license conditions on any piece of software.

even after purchase.

If you had done that, and tried to return the software, and been told that they couldn't accept it, maybe you would have recourse.

ReFX's whole point is you bought it, accepted it, and used it, knowing you couldn't sell it.

condra

Post by condra » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:20 am

Regardless of anything else, that is no way for anyone in business to speak to a client.

Shame on him.

Vanguard is still a stalwart of my collection.
Personally, I think it has aged really badly and doesn't compare to the new generation of VSTs.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:35 am

i wouldn't even bother warez'ing there crap.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:20 am

Shitty attitude from refx, and not the first time I've seen that. They have really confusing information about UB updates on their site, basically you could easily think that certain software of theirs is UB ready, when it's not...

I think no sell license policies are bullshit, and only have one product that falls under that category, from Cycling 74 Pluggo. Can't sell it, and I think that's shit, considering i bought it years before they had that policy. :roll:

bleepsnbreaks

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:26 am

Exactly, my point is about the attitude of the company towards its customers and the service you get from them.
No company should have this kind of attitude towards the people that provide them with a means of existence.
And whats up with telling me that they are going to cancel my license, effectively meaning I cant get updates to a product I have paid for, just becuase I wanted to sell thier product to someone else. I paid for it and they are still going to have a customer, in fact, like I said, it was a COMMERCIAL STUDIO who was going to be buying it off me. Wouldnt they rather thier product was being used in a commercial studio to make television ads and music for TV programs? I would have thought that would have been better coverage for them.

the dude Mike from reFX is a c0ckbag, no two ways about it.

The point of this thread is to warn people about what to expect when dealing with reFX, this kind of information is something I would have liked to have had before buying anything from them. And it sounds to me like I am not the only one to have had problems with this guy.

The point of forums like this is its a community to share experiences and knowledge.
My Tracks on MySpace

thefool

Post by thefool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:55 am

I never had a problem personally, they always helped me and so on (or at least Eva. Haven't had big trouble with any products anyway)

Agree'd i've read a few posts on their forum where Mike semt a bit pushy sometimes. But most of the time it was some pretty stupid comments that started it.

This is a bad case though, i would email him again nicely (even though i know you don't feel like talking nice to him) and tell him what exactly happened. You probably won't be allowed to sell the license but you could probably get it opened again.

Tone2 is a good example on good developers. They're damn helpfull, heck, i was even invited to come by Markus F. Feil because i was going through germany towards austria for skiing. Sadly it was in the middle of the night i passed the border down there :)

But again, I never had anything but good experiences dealing with RefX.
Last edited by thefool on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

albotnz

Post by albotnz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:00 am

whoa, what a douche! the reFX guy, that is. Rack me up as one more person who'll be taking any potential business elsewhere, and recommending others to as well.

It maybe true that you technically could have declined the agreement after purchase, but that kind of service, policy and the termination of your license is total bollocks. Someone should point out this thread to them as a reminder that hassling the 'little' guy from the other side of the internet does have it's repercussions.

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:04 am

no business from me!

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:08 am

Machinesworking wrote: and only have one product that falls under that category, from Cycling 74 Pluggo. Can't sell it, and I think that's shit, considering i bought it years before they had that policy. :roll:
I noticed this when i cross graded to the UB version,, i was a bit ho-hum on it and remember thinking it was a bit of a bummer.. but then i got to thinking i had only paid like.. what was it?? $130US about five years ago?? and i have never had to pay for an update or even jump through hoops to get it reauthorized for new computers, and i've had it on five computers now.. plus i had a HD go bad on me and they helped me with that,, they rang me up from SF to my house in NZ to help with an install problem that ended up exposing an issue with one or other version of OS X and they ended up paying to the copy protection soft ware guy to call me up and walk me through a work around. 8O 8O
unfuckin believable support.. after them i would have to say that FXPansion and then AAS and the Abes are the bomb,, hell,, even in all my good times and bad times with N-I i've never felt like i was going to have to take cock to get the problem solved...

Oka,,
I feel better now.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

bleepsnbreaks

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:30 am

Yeah, I do intend to send this link to him, I mean, ok, thier policy says you cant transfer a license, thats bullsh1t, but ok, whatever.

But to tell me they are canceling my license because I wanted to sell to someone else, that just sounds to me like a little kid saying "well Im going home and Im taking my ball with me"..

If I was in Germany aswell, I am sure that there would be some kind of consumer group I could go to with this issue but thats the problem with dealing with companies on the net, they feel like they dont have to abide by common decency because no ones going to make them.

Not exactly the most mature response and as you can see, I was pretty polite at first, I dont really believe in being rude unless its nessessary, you get alot more done being nice, Mike could do with thinking about that.

Glad to hear it wasnt just me he's been rude to, well, not glad that hes been a c0ck to oher people but glad its not just me :)

Yeah, there are the REALLY good companies out there, the Abes being right up the top of the list IMHO, I have had nothing but awesome service from them.
My Tracks on MySpace

Mazzo

Post by Mazzo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:39 am

They've lost another potential customer here. I wouldn't buy something knowing that I couldn't sell it on in the future if I wanted to.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:49 am

Mazzo wrote:They've lost another potential customer here. I wouldn't buy something knowing that I couldn't sell it on in the future if I wanted to.
+1

Gonna pass the word too.... These kinda policies suck.. :twisted:

Hd

thefool

Post by thefool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:51 am

+1 to ableton, they always responded quickly no matter what it was

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:13 am

condra wrote:Regardless of anything else, that is no way for anyone in business to speak to a client.

Shame on him.

Personally, I think [Vanguard] has aged really badly and doesn't compare to the new generation of VSTs.
my thoughts exactly.

even allowing for an arse-minded licence agreement which doesn't make provision for resale (and REFX are far from alone in this) the tone of the correspondence with a customer is unbelievable; furthermore, cancelling the licence because of a potential sale seems like pointless panty-bunching.

with so many other decent, helpful, friendly & talented developers out there, why support a company which treats its customers like this?
digitally yours