DO NOT BUY ANY REFX PRODUCTS !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lola

Post by lola » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:57 pm

looking into this thread i am glad i never bought something from them.

But i must say:

i love ableton support!!!
i love d16 support!!!

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:43 pm

man!!!! how come that you spen 299 on that synth!!! have you heard the demo before buying? it's so dam cheesy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thefool

Post by thefool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:16 pm

roby wrote:
thefool wrote:
i've never had to deal with this guy directly, but i've read his posts and i always though the guy was a bit dramatic and defensive as well..
This guy as in me or michael? :D
that fool, not the fool :D
:lol:

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:46 pm

thefool wrote:
R.J.Dubya wrote:
thefool wrote:just to clear it why i enjoy Tone2's policy: They DO have a 20€ license transfer fee, but i think thats fair enough. 20€ is not much more than a large pizza, and i like to support developers. Also because they do it manually and have to deal with shareit etcettera.
I have to respectfully disagree with you endorsment of tone2 as a model company. They aren't as bad as reFX, but the developer can be very defensive and rude at times as well. I'm sure they can very helpful and are probably nice guys, but I had my only bad experience of my life when I was trying out gladiator (which I love the sound of). I brought up a bunch of issues and I was told it was all my fault or my hosts fault (ableton) and one of my threads were deleted after he got quite rude with me. I noticed later on an update when I tried the demo again, that they had fixed everything I brought up. But I never got an apology and was even told to just go find another product! The whole time I did nothing but praise the synth while trying to help find bugs/problems. I noticed in a lot of other threads there that the developer gets way to defensive and dramatic with people who have reasonable requests. I just don't think that's good behavior , it makes people less confidant that the developer will be responsive to them, even if that's not true. And especially when charging a 30 dollar transfer fee when so many others don't, it's again uncompetitive when compared to other policies. I never posted about that experience as I didn't wish them any harm, but at the same time people should know about other peoples bad experiences to help them make the right buying choice.
I guess you're right, there are always different sides of people. Sounds like they where pretty rude to you.

Even IF the bugs you where talking about where Live's fault (as it was with the "first note not played" bug), they have no reason to get that rude.

You're right about posting the experience, especially when i just praised them for being good. I never had that much dealing with them, basically just bought gladiator and chatted a bit with the developer (telling about the vacation etc, and he invited me to come by). Its a good thing you don't wish them any harm but if they did this to me i'd throw them an email telling what exactly happened and that i didn't wish to annoy them. IF they gave me a nice reply, i'd be fine with it. If not i'd probably just ignore them or make some burning posts @ kvr hehe.

And yeah, Gladiator is a nice piece of work. The filters are just stunning, imho. I enjoy and use it for what it does :)
]
This guy as in me or michael? :D
Yeah, I did actually send a bunch of PMs to the other guy (Moondive I think) and he was quite nice. Markus just wouldn't let up and continually publicly put me down. But that's cool that he invited you over. I guess people can be extremely courteous as a person on one hand and then maybe be ill-tempered with business matters on the other. But you're right though, amazing filters and oscillators in gladiator. I still like to sample that thing. You can even create patches with the demo, despite the 10 minute limitation, because if you delete it once the sound cuts out and then undo the delete in live, you get the synth back the way it was last (cheeky I know). :P
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

thefool

Post by thefool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 pm

:lol:

didn't know that about the demo hehe
should test on other things

Arh well, for me its worth the money. BTW if you own any previous product, inclusive refx products (vanguard etc) you can get something like a 10% discount.

Sad about Markus, had no idea he could be like that. Haven't really read the forum. I know they got a bit "hit" by the anti piracy thing they had up.

Sometimes i even use it as a VA synth. Seriously, put a simple thing as a SAW tooth osc, set a '12db analog filter' type, 0 attack, about half decay and some sustain and punch around C2. Of course done from an "init" patch.

Its extremely simple to use that way, too. And then when you get a bit into the form of synthesis and its morphing, its pretty decent to "get on with"

I hope you and Markus can make peace one day :)

bleepsnbreaks

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:59 pm

freshdrumma wrote:man!!!! how come that you spen 299 on that synth!!! have you heard the demo before buying? it's so dam cheesy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like I said, it was when I had just started producing and I bought i pretty much exclusivly for the "bass" expansion. In the demo it had some real classic sounds that I wanted to use but I have never ended up using it in a track.
My Tracks on MySpace

Progressive Mix demo(not mixed in Live, mixed with CDJs)

17" Macbook pro 2.4 | Live 6 + Operator

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:03 pm

^ Unfortunately, that's basically the Vengeance Ultimate Bass sample set, plugged into Nexus. Hate to say it (as you already know) but buying Sampler and Ultimate Bass would have taken you TONS farther and you might still have enough money left over for a latte :)

I know it sux to hear it, so I should stop making you feel bad about it...

bleepsnbreaks

Well here we go

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:10 pm

I have sent this link to Mike in the support ticket I logged.

As I pointed out to him, you just cant buy this kind of advertising, thanks to everyone who has commented on thier experiences with reFX's service so far, keep em comming. Companies who dont service thier customers need to see that there are consequences to thier actions in this totally connected world and that a hit in the bank account as lost sales.

Dont be surprised if he pipes in here with some beligerance at some point. I look forward to it if he does, Id like to see how someone could posibly defend the kind of attitude that hes displayed in this matter.
My Tracks on MySpace

nebulae

Re: Well here we go

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:12 pm

bleepsnbreaks wrote: Dont be surprised if he pipes in here with some beligerance at some point.
Meh, troll-blocker aimed and ready...

Electronathan

whoa

Post by Electronathan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm

I just read the email correspondence on the first page of this thread.... WOW. The guy repping reFX is TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL!
Even if the license is indeed true (and unjust, imo), his reply shows no customer value.
That must of have been his last day at work or something...

I hope you get it all straightend out.
I'm functioning in realtime.

thefool

Post by thefool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm

AY YI YI

wtf!

Electronathan

one more thing...

Post by Electronathan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:47 pm

... and they charge 20 bucks for SKINS...!!! LOL - that is just sad... again; totally unprofessional - on so many levels.
I'm functioning in realtime.

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Did anyone stop to think where Refx might be located? read the correspondence, he might not even be being rude at all, just FRENCH

bleepsnbreaks

Re: whoa

Post by bleepsnbreaks » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Electronathan wrote:I just read the email correspondence on the first page of this thread.... WOW. The guy repping reFX is TOTALLY UNPROFESSIONAL!
Even if the license is indeed true (and unjust, imo), his reply shows no customer value.
That must of have been his last day at work or something...

I hope you get it all straightend out.
Problem is that reFX is actually quite a small company, as most software synth companies are, so this dude is probably the owner of the company or something.....
My Tracks on MySpace

thefool

Post by thefool » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:50 pm

morerecords wrote:Did anyone stop to think where Refx might be located? read the correspondence, he might not even be being rude at all, just FRENCH
The french are quite abrupt :lol:
Last edited by thefool on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.