delay plug with with it's own, discrete tap tempo?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
oblique strategies

delay plug with with it's own, discrete tap tempo?

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:41 am

I've been hunting around for a delay plugin that has it's own tap tempo button which is independent from the session tempo.

I'd like to be able to match the tempo of the delay to a clip, but not match it to the main tempo. And I'd like to tap it in, rather than calculate it.

Anyone know if one (or more) exist?

I'm on a Mac.

Thanks

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:46 am

garyboozy wrote:PSP 608 MultiDelay
http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/608md.html

8)
Thank you Mr. Boozy.

Are you familiar with this plug? Do you have any workarounds for the following:

1. The sound cuts out when I use the Tap button to change delay times -not ideal for live performances.

2. Tap Tempo button changes delay times for every individual delay tap, even if they are turned off, rather then for just the tap that is turned on –with the result that I have to tap it numerous times in order to cycle through all 8 taps before it effects the one tap I’m actually using. This is not even a useful workaround because the time changes too erratically.

It also wacks out the Live's GUI a bit, but I can right it quickly, & this is a minor annoyance.

While it is a cool plug for some things, it doesn't quite do what I'm after. I'd like to find something much simpler as well.

Night Spirit

Post by Night Spirit » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:09 am

Not sure if it has what you need but ive heard good things about AudioDamage's Ricochet. Its simple and cheap.
NIGHT SPIRIT on Soundcloud
MacBook Pro Retina | MOTU Traveler mk3 | Ableton Live 9 Beta | SCI 440 Tom | TR-707 | DX7 | Predator

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:18 am

Night Spirit wrote:Not sure if it has what you need but ive heard good things about AudioDamage's Ricochet. Its simple and cheap.
Thanks Night Spirit. It's a cool delay -I like the interface.

But it doesn't fit the bill because it doesn't have a tap tempo feature -rather, it is synced to the host's tempo.

Alas, the search continues...

Next? Keep 'em coming!

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:44 am

tried 'augustus loop'? it has a tap function (that doesnt cut out) and also has a pretty nifty mouse-hold button, where the length of time you hold down the button, thats how long the loop/tap will be.

it's not the greatest sounding plugin, and the gui might give you a headache, but its cheap, does what you want and its a laugh to play with live.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/augustusloop.html

alin55

Post by alin55 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:22 pm

check out the interruptor's echolive -

* the delay time can be defined by tapping the tempo with the mouse or on a midi keyboard or midi controller
* alternatively the delaytime can also be set manually or synchronized with the host application.
* latency compensation: you can compensate your soundcard's latency for perfectly timed echoes in live applications.
* tape model including tape saturation, tape hiss, wow & flutter, low and high pass filtering, smooth parameter for continuous delay time changes like on a real tape delay
* stereo-control: ping pong delay, time symmetry, stereo width
* all parameters are controllable by midi controllers.
* pop-up hints help to understand the function of each control on the user interface. These appear when the mouse rests over a control.
* also the assignment of midi controllers is documented in the pop-up hints

lots of excellent vsts on this page
cheers
ali

AHHHH shit - I just noticed your on a mac...............sorry :?

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:45 pm

alin55 wrote:check out the interruptor's echolive -

lots of excellent vsts on this page
cheers
ali

AHHHH shit - I just noticed your on a mac...............sorry :?
Yep, on a Mac. I've been to that page a number of times, & I agree with you: really boss dubwise fashion.

I have definitely found what I've been looking for, but so far it has been PC based. Hence my quest & call for suggestions from everyone for a Mac solution.

You know, this reminds me of one of my pet peeves when searching for these things:
one of the biggest helps the software developers could provide is a CLEAR indication on their websites of what platform their stuff runs on. Just a suggestion (of the painfully obvious).

:wink:

Oh well, I didn't want to get grumpy & needle the software developers, especially those kindly mad scientists who make the freebies.

I really appreciate the help & suggestions. I'm sure there is something out there that I haven't found yet.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 pm

garyboozy wrote:tried 'augustus loop'? it has a tap function (that doesnt cut out) and also has a pretty nifty mouse-hold button, where the length of time you hold down the button, thats how long the loop/tap will be.

it's not the greatest sounding plugin, and the gui might give you a headache, but its cheap, does what you want and its a laugh to play with live.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/augustusloop.html
August Loop *is* basically doing the job (Thanks garyboozy!), but as Mr. Boozy pointed out there are issues with the sound & the GUI is, ahem, a bit much...

I need to play with it some more. I'd like to manipulate a better sound out of it. So far, the filter doesn't work in either AU or VST. Any clues as to why?

:?:

os

Post by os » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi,

I'm the developer of Augustus Loop. I'd love to know what issues people have with the sound.

Filter works fine, as far as I'm aware. You've changed the Filter Type to something other than 'Thru', right?

cheers,
os.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:00 pm

do you have reaktor?

I can whip you up something in about 20 seconds.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:30 pm

os wrote:Hi,

I'm the developer of Augustus Loop. I'd love to know what issues people have with the sound.

Filter works fine, as far as I'm aware. You've changed the Filter Type to something other than 'Thru', right?

cheers,
os.
Hi, wonderful to hear from you!

My previous comments were based on my initial exploration of the plugin. Now that I have used it a bit more, I have become aware of a wider range of sounds it can produce. I'm sure that by exploring the various parameters I will come up with a more customized sound.

My initial impression of the sound was that it was somewhat sharp when changing the Delay Time, which made me want to use the filter on it to round off the edges, & murk it up a bit.

But the issue I have with the filter is that I can't tell exactly what it is doing. I probably should just use my ears, but I expected the GUI to have some indication as to what type of filter I was using.

When turning the Filter Type knob from full left to full right, all I see is Thru, numerical information, then Thru again when the knob has reached it's full-right revolution.

So, as per the manual, does the filter change between these types in this order?

-Thru
-Low
-Band
-HIgh
-Thru

If not, what is the order that the filter 'morphs' through?

Again, I will use my ears, & listen a bit more intently. But it would be nice to have a graphic indicator of what filter one is using at any given time. Also a good option would be to be able to choose a type of filter with a toggle or dedicated filter type switches

That being said, I do see more possibilities for this plug to meet my needs after all. I will use it some more & see if it will work out.

Thanks.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:33 pm

bensuthers wrote:do you have reaktor?

I can whip you up something in about 20 seconds.
Thanks bensuthers.

Alas, I do not. At least not yet. I have thought about this program, but had put it on the back burner. I guess the more I want customized tools, the more I should consider Reaktor.

os

Post by os » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:13 am

oblique strategies wrote:I'm sure that by exploring the various parameters I will come up with a more customized sound.
For the ultimate customisation, try the Fx Loop configuration, to insert your own effects in the delay loop.
oblique strategies wrote:My initial impression of the sound was that it was somewhat sharp when changing the Delay Time, which made me want to use the filter on it to round off the edges, & murk it up a bit.
Did you try Inertia Free mode?
oblique strategies wrote:So, as per the manual, does the filter change between these types in this order?
Yes. If you turn it slowly around integer values (1.0, 2.0 etc.) the GUI will actually show those names.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/august ... _types.mov
oblique strategies wrote:But it would be nice to have a graphic indicator of what filter one is using at any given time. Also a good option would be to be able to choose a type of filter with a toggle or dedicated filter type switches.
Noted. Thanks for the feedback.