New lil wayne cd

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:50 am

couple of points....

I think Wayne is talented but more in the way Snoop is...with a flow, sound, and vibe that a lot of people love.

Wayne is probably a lot more conscious than his marketers would have you believe, check his work on boondocks season 2. Anyway, check out boondocks season 2 if you are remotely interested in rap music/urban culture...I just rented it and it was very thought provoking.

Some old music is timeless and ages very well....70s reggae comes to mind with a thick deep bass sound that still bumps and moves me today....however, I find that most old hip hop before the mid 90s just doesn't have deep bass or that bump compared to more recent hiphop...I don't know if its the low bit rate sampling or what....I love lots of old hiphop, but when I'm in my ride and want to listen to music that bumps it just doesn't have the sound quality to satisfy me. Am I full of BS or what? I dunno man.....
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:03 am

Tohtruck wrote:I don't think its an issue of living in the past.

When I think about hip-hop that's progressive and cutting edge I think of MadLib's Quasimoto albums, El-P's stuff, Cage's last album, Subtitle, Buck 65, Subtle, etc.
I mostly enjoy music that is smooth and grooves. Unfortunately, most 'underground' hiphop is lyrically on point but is instrumentally very stripped down and harsh to my ears....my favorites hiphop combines both....i.e. dilated peoples (i.e. the platform), defari (i.e. focused daily), yeah I love the east coast too, gza (i.e. liquid swords). I like it when people just rap about getting fucked up too....LOL...cuz man, when you're getting fucked up its fun to listen to music inspired on that tip (i.e. all that texas shit, paul wall, bay area shit, mr fab, e-40, 2short)....

So many people judge hip-hop music on whether commercial forces are pushing it, f* that, bump what you love, bump what moves you - intellectually, emotionally, whatever it is for you.
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:13 am

David Brent

If that's the best comment you have to offer in this discussion, so is your thought process.

CM

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 am

i agree with doing what you need to do for you, the problem is that doing so
might land you on the other side of what i need to do for me, to add even more clarity to my opinion the fact that lil wayne wasn't made for my consumption in reality is almost a moot point. I feel like all of our communities are in need on so many different fronts that im simply compelled into repulsion by anything that distracts us from seeking the progress we so desperately need on all of those fronts. I might be lost in all of the destinctions but i just feel so uncomplicated that for me to love lil wayne would mean that i love what he portrays, but i dont love what he portrays I hate it, and I believe so deeply that we need a revolution within our selves that starts at the very core. the lifestyle that he portrays exploits our pains, our fears and every false step and hole that any young defenseless mind chooses to fall into.

lets look at myself for an example, I still can't even call the police on one of these mother fuckers around my way if they commit a crime, not because I'm afraid but because deep down internally beneath my subconcious i'm committed to protecting the likes of them on some rediculous hellish level.
now why would i do that unless somewhere in me something is not right with me.
these are the same people that make it hard for my communitys children to go to school, they should be studying and thinking about what they want to be when they grow up but instead they gotta think about the pressures of the local set always at work trying to scoop them up into that lost way of life.

i don't owe these motherfuckas nothing all they do is take and take and all the while while they're taking they're screaming i gotta get mine.
to me thug music is the sound of that and the best part of me wants no part of that.
but its only music so im probably thinking too much but the problem with that is that i'm still not thinking enough.

David Brent

Post by David Brent » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:48 am

you wrote:
[quote]
Like it or don't like it he's talented, and his record sales and mass popularity on a "global" scale prove it.

Sure there might have been a time when you could equate album sales with talent, but thats long passed. I was in Italy last year and some of the kids there, who didn't speak or understand a word of english were listening to and singing 50 cent songs and asking me what the lyrics mean. yeah, they got the albums because 50 cent is a talented lyricist...right.

Record sales dont really mean anything anymore and even if they did how do you factor in the artists who give away their albums or the music thats downloaded "illegally" ?
Not trying to start an argument here, but some of the logic behind your definition of a talented artist is a bit far fetched...
Macbook Pro 17" - NI Komplete - Zebra 2 - Remote SL Zero -

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 am

I do see your point, but talented as a rapper can mean many different things depending on the individual. My friend and I refer to 50 as a hook master. His delivery, flow, and simple, yet multiple different choruses, makes his tracks very catchy.

CM

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Record sales mean you have successfully differentiated your music from everybody else's.

There's an economic concept that if a business is profitable it is giving people what they want.

If Lil Wayne is profitable and selling millions of singles, ringtones, albums, and whatnot than by definition he is giving people what they want.

pretty simple and straight forward - talent is a very subjective thing and for some it's debatable and others it's not.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:12 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Record sales mean you have successfully differentiated your music from everybody else's.

There's an economic concept that if a business is profitable it is giving people what they want.

If Lil Wayne is profitable and selling millions of singles, ringtones, albums, and whatnot than by definition he is giving people what they want.

pretty simple and straight forward - talent is a very subjective thing and for some it's debatable and others it's not.
Thanks for your input, That's a large part of my point, couldn't have stated it as well though.

CM

David Brent

Post by David Brent » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16 am

djadonis206 wrote:Record sales mean you have successfully differentiated your music from everybody else's.

Just wanted to add a few things, the italicized words are my edits:

record sales of artists on a major label mean the record company and producers have successfully differentiated your music from everybody else's.

There's an economic concept that if a business is profitable it is giving people what they believe they want as directed by marketing, media, and advertising.

If Lil Wayne is profitable and selling millions of singles, ringtones, albums, and whatnot than by definition he is giving people what they are led to believe they want.

Macbook Pro 17" - NI Komplete - Zebra 2 - Remote SL Zero -

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:37 am

lil wayne has never set himself apart from other lyricists nor will he ever.... his shit is ultra catchy, sometimes.A lot of his stuff is horrendous to me. Manny Fresh is the biggest reason lil wayne is popular in my opinion. With all my dislike for lil wayne and what he stands for I still really like some of his songs though. I know tastes are subjective but lil wayne a great lyricist? :roll:

Theres alot of things influence record sales besides talent. Im not saying wayne has no talent but I am saying he doesn't have a lot of it. Milli vanilli had a multi platinum or diamond album , while every Edit, el-p, and cage album combined didnt get 1/8 of their sales. ill stop my midnight rambling now.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:25 am

spreader of butter