Akai Vs. Korg... There can only be one!!! Or not...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
weeddigger

Akai Vs. Korg... There can only be one!!! Or not...

Post by weeddigger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:48 am

Would love to hear opinions on the two keyboards here: They are similar, but have their differences.

Korg Kontrol 49 MIDI USB
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=702417

Akai MPK 49 MIDI USB
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=703034

thru Musician's friend they both run $399.00.

I am favoring the Korg for the X-Y control, but the Akai seems to be able to hold more controller assignments and also have it's own arpeggiator.

The Korg does include a good deal of software that I don't have and would like to check out, and while you can assign more pads with the Akai, the Korg has more physical pads.

Use either?
Last edited by weeddigger on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:54 am

I suppose you have never layed your hands on either of these units?

The Korg is a huge, plasticky chunk o junk, and when you feel it, lift it, play it you get a very real sensation that it's just enormous by design, not by neccesity. It's just ... bleh!
The AKAI feels good though, and the pads are actually playable.

I personally would lean more towards either remote SL, the Edirol controllers or something different, but if I were to choose one of those two it would SO be the AKAI.

Machinate

Re: Akai Vs. Korg... There can only be one!!!

Post by Machinate » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:56 am

weeddigger wrote: The Korg does include a good deal of software that I don't have and would like to check out,
cripple-ware and demos. Don't factor that in, to be honest.
weeddigger wrote:and while you can assign more pads with the Akai, the Korg has more physical pads.
Consider the Korg pads more like "buttons", since they're not actually something you'd want to drum out a beat on. Also, as far as I remember they're not velocity sensitive anyways.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:12 am

Thanks buddy... I haven't touched any of these, but I'm going to try and head over to my local guitar center to see if I can get my touch on.

I hadn't seen the Edirol boards at all, and the Novation is quite nice as well.

The Edirol boards are have a lot of the features I'm looking for, and I can get more keys for less $$ than the Akai and Korg. Edirol is gaining points in the elections!

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:27 am

Yeah, thanks a lot Machinate, I think the Edirol is going to be way to go.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=700947

61 keys too!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:00 am

I agree about the Korg you mentioned, IMHO (I demoed one about a year ago) it has a nasty action, nasty very plasticky feeling keys and very little to love, although the more expensive Korg controllers are better quality.

They do actually include the M1 plugin from the Korg legacy digital plugin though but still, even though that's a great plugin, you should not compromise quality on a keyboard/controller over something like that as it is a core part of your setup like monitor speakers. The Edirol controllers are good, as are CME and Novation.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:10 am

:D

Thanks.

I've been looking at the Edirol PCR manual for a bit now, and I think that's the way I'm probably going to go.

This thing has a lot of features under the hood, it's priced nicely, and I've not heard much against other Roland products.

Ofcourse, I'm open to hear any stories, issues, whatever with the Edirol.

:arrow:

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I'd recommend the Nocation Remote SL too.
and a padkontrol :!:
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 pm

Korg Kontrol 49 is my favourite keyboard, mainly because I love those plastic keys. I have four other controllers as well but nothing compares to the Kontrol 49 imho. The Akai controller is more modern and probably more value for your money if you are into features. And like others said before, the pads on the Kontrol 49 are useless for playing and act more like extra buttons, but still, I wouldn't trade mine for any other keyboard.
Mac, Live, Logic, Cubase, Reason, Renoise and a bunch of VSTs

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 pm

Thanks!

dys4ik

Post by dys4ik » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Got rid of my novation remote sl, kept the korg. Then again, size isn't the factor for me.

Just a note, the x-y on the korg kinda sucks.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:38 am

If you combine the Kontrol 49 with lcxmu you get mackie control emulation which works really great... much better than any auto map stuff...

http://www.opuslocus.com/lcxmu/index.php

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:20 am

Vote for the AKAI, I only sent mine back because I had been eyeing the Remote 61 SL for a while, and hear Automap was doing well now......

Bast part about the AKAI IMO is the pressure sensitive pads, meaning you can hit a high hat, hold the pad down, and if you have note repeat on that pad, the pressure you apply to the pad changes the volume. This is great for live drum rolls etc. That, and it feels sturdy, great knobs.

Novation Automap is cool, especially if you want to adjust track volumes in a live situation.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:31 pm

Word... Thanks...

More stuff to debate over!!!

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:00 pm

I had all of those:
Edirol the cheapest but good keys lots of pads, knobs, faders. Lack of display irritated me, still great value for money.
Kontrol 49 is all that what Machinate wrote plus has no Aftertouch which is ridiculous for the money they demand. The worst bulid quality I ever owned (and shortest time I used_ hated this piece of plastic junk)
MPK is probably the best overall board right now, great keys, all quality parts is it better then SL? No, they are different each better in its own way that is why I use both Akai and SL37.
If you on budget get Edirol, frankly even Axiom is better then Korg or even the EMU Xboards, probably anything is better then this obsolete flop, badly designed, poorly made. For anyone who likes those displays which work nice with Reason, get microKontrol+ Fatar or something like that. mK is a better build.