OT: BILLION POUND SPORTS BET IDEA!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you like it?

Yes, it's the best game on the net!!
12%
No, think again...
88%

Total votes: 17

ava

OT: BILLION POUND SPORTS BET IDEA!!

Post by ava » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:19 am

The technology has not been developed, it's an idea to be licenced.

Keywords: predicttheball predict-the-ball

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:28 am

is this some kind of sick joke ?
spreader of butter

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:48 am

Will there be a Mac™ version?

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:49 am

why dont you just buy the domain names, if you have such a strong feeling for this project?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:57 am

You lost me... what?

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 pm

sounds stupid, whoever does this is going to lose a shit load of money, its piss easy to predict where the ball is going to land or who the player is going to pass too. you'd probably get it right about 70% of the time. worst idea ever

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:01 pm

As far as I'm aware you can't copyright a business name in the UK, so that wouldn't help you to get ownership or any domain names.

If someone had a legitimate reason to register a 'predict-the-ball' domain name, for running an online spot the ball competition for example, then the only way you could gain ownership is if you could prove they did so out of malice or were trying to ride off the back of your product / business name.

Which you ain't going to be able to do if all you've got is a business idea written on the back of a fag packet.

The UK domain registrar has a section on their website with case histories of domain name disputes, interesting reading if you're really, really bored one day.

Precision

Post by Precision » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:07 pm

So is the modern version of Spot-the-Ball that my father used to waste money on every week when I was a kid?

He certainly didn't get rich from it (though whoever sold him the competition forms might have done :lol: ).
Tone Deft wrote: it's hard to code Python when you're knocked up on morphine with your dick in a sling.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:10 pm

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:14 pm

football :roll:

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:02 pm

This is going to seriously cut into the Wii sales.....

ava

Post by ava » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:34 am

Not seen as a good idea? I thought could be a winner, even have a fowl button & best of england could manage the england team. just an idea.

Anything can happen 5 seconds ahead, would take a lot of knowloedge of the players etc.

Anyway, time will tell if it's the future...

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:46 pm

You gotta be joking!

Guys are waiting here with hard cash for the lighting VST and you're working on this?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:55 pm

I have an idea:

A novel way of controlling dmx lighting through a vst plugin...

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:55 pm

ava wrote:Not seen as a good idea? I thought could be a winner, even have a fowl button & best of england could manage the england team. just an idea.

Anything can happen 5 seconds ahead, would take a lot of knowloedge of the players etc.

Anyway, time will tell if it's the future...
Revolutionary idea. Why bet on a 90 minute game when you can bet 1080 times on the same game? Your bet would have to take less time to execute than a Ebay bid.
Which button do you press to give head-buds to other players? I need over-time...

Personally I prefer the old "Cow on Soccer field" bets. A soccer field is divided into equal squares and a cow is let loose on the field. People can place bets on where the cow is going to take a crap.

What is next? Betting on the dB level that the screams from that female Russian Tennis player put out?

How many cyclists will get busted for doping during the tour?

Or for the Olympics.. Where will the spear land? 1000 to 1 odds on a reporter getting hit in the leg..

I'd adapt the technology for your DMX plugin. Focus lighting on the crowded sections of the dancefloor. Or lights synced to the movements of a breakdancer.
Or changing light colors depending on temperature in a crescendo build-up which uses wind effects (fans, smoke,...).
Or go completely nuts and make the plugin controllable by PDA's and Iphone's :D

And as far as the originality of the technology goes.. I'm pretty sure that IBM and some other company are responsible for something that tracks the distance and position of a ball. This was many years ago, I think it was developed for golf and allowed automation for cameras to track the ball. So the system knew exactly where the ball is and which camera has it in visual range. Saw it on CNN or BBC.
The system is able to measure almost any aspect like velocity, speed, distance, curve,...
If they can make something that works on 18 different holes that are significantly larger than a soccer field, I don't think your idea is going help much.
You'd need your own "weather station", because people would demand to know all conditions such as the weather, grass type, shape of the field around the actual soccer field,...
Somebody who lives close to the pitch would have the "home field" advantage ;)