Another unlocking question: same machine, new XP license

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
misteron

Another unlocking question: same machine, new XP license

Post by misteron » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:38 am

I installed XP home via bootcamp on this new MBP and unlocked Live7 on that.

Trying to authorize XPhome now it seems that the license I have is OEM and will not work.
...So i will need to buy Xp again I guess.

Will saving unlock.cfg and replacing it after installing Live 7 on the 'new' XP home allow Live to run unlocked?

I'm guessing the challenge code can't be based on the XP serial as I have already unlocked but haven't entered an XP serial.

Anyone tried this?
Or have any ideas?

What if i install Xp Pro? (might be able to get it cheap)

misteron

Post by misteron » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:44 pm

harumph

Deft

Post by Deft » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:49 pm

If your XP serial is a legit OEM serial, just call the number and get Microsoft to authorise it. They will do it over the phone no problems.

misteron

Re: ...........

Post by misteron » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Deft wrote:If your XP serial is a legit OEM serial, just call the number and get Microsoft to authorise it. They will do it over the phone no problems.
I find this confusing.
Wiki says that there are 2 types of OEM license ad only one is transferable to other systems.

Anyone know how to tell which is which?
wiki wrote:There are two types of OEM when it comes to operating systems. The first is when a pre-built computer is purchased, there is an OEM disk that comes with the system, which can not be transferred to any other system, because that disk is designed to run only with the specific system components. The second type of OEM operating system is one that can be purchased, and that can be transferred to any other system, without the dependence on the systems components. The main difference between the two is that one is only meant for that specific system, and the other can be used on any system.

misteron

Post by misteron » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Well my XP grace period has timed out and so I've erased the xp partition.
Any input on above question?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:40 pm

i think the 1st scenario is just referring to a computer like Dell, etc. which don't ship with actual OS disks, but "repair" disks

misteron

Post by misteron » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:48 pm

longjohns wrote:i think the 1st scenario is just referring to a computer like Dell, etc. which don't ship with actual OS disks, but "repair" disks
That sounds plausible.
Thanks