frequent audio "glitches" with Live 4.03 and power

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
amwintx

frequent audio "glitches" with Live 4.03 and powercore 1.9.2

Post by amwintx » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:40 pm

I am a longtime Live user and I have never had problems with momentary interruptions in audio playback until Live 4.

I am running Live on a G4 933 with 1.25GB ram, single proc, OSX 10.2.8, with a powercore PCI card software version 1.9.2, MOTU 2408 mk3, buffer at 1024, and Reason 2.5 rewired in. Even with the CPU meter well below 60% I am now having problems with glitchy playback, but the same song plays fine in live 2.1.1 (my previous version).

I have loaded Panther on another hard drive and installed only Live 4, Reason, and the necessary audio driver to get running and it glitches there too.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

the ar

Post by the ar » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:01 pm

Try increasing the buffer size. :)

amwintx

True, but....

Post by amwintx » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:53 pm

I agree that should help, however, what I am really wanting to know is why I am all of a sudden having these issues in Live 4, when with everything being set the same, I didn't have these problems in 2.1.1. I am wondering if other people, perhaps using Live 4 and powercore, but not MOTU hardware are having the same problems.

generic

Post by generic » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:39 pm

i use an mbox and i get the glitches too. it happens if i have allot of plugins running.

i'll try increaseing the buffer and see what happens.

later
e
powerbook G4 667mhz 768mb of ram
mac os10.2.8
digidesign m-box
live4.0.1 reason2.5 protools6.1.2

amwintx

Post by amwintx » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:01 pm

Were you successfully using live 2 or 3 with you exact setup previously?

Thanks.

Adam

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:37 pm

I have the same thing, tracks that played fine at 80% in L3 now start freaking around 70% or so. It's like the last 20-30% isn't available, seems we've gained a few extra % at the bottom of the cpu meter in terms of basic efficiency but lost a chunk at the top when you push the app. :?

amwintx

Post by amwintx » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:48 pm

That pretty much correlates with what I am seeing, and I think the problem is exacerbated by powercore because it has a very high initial threshold on CPU usage, which instantly puts you closer to the new lower effectiveCPU ceiling.

So, is this an issue Ableton is likely to address or is this the inevitable march of technology signaling to me that its time to buy a new machine? I don't really need a new machine for the majority of what I do, so its dissapointing to be having these problems now, where I didn't before. I realize that I don't have to upgrade to Live 4, but of course the new features make it a pretty compelling upgrade to attempt.

generic

Post by generic » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:28 pm

amwintx wrote:Were you successfully using live 2 or 3 with you exact setup previously?

Thanks.

Adam
yeah, previous versions didn't have any problems. never any pops or clicks. even if i was pushing the limit of what my machine could handle. the screen response would get sluggish, but the audio would sound ok.

later
e
mac os10.2.8
digidesign m-box

+1

glitches

Post by +1 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:13 am

I get rid of the glitches by decreasing the number of vst/vsti's or by increasing the latency...
I do this in live 4 and I did so in live 3

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:20 am

I use an M-Audio 1814 on a brand new G4 17" PowerBook, 1.5 Ghz proc,, 2GB RAM and I get the glitches too. It's more then that really. I actually have in my possession (2) FW 1814's and it happens on both. I am also a longtime user and so far LIve 4.x doesn't work as well as the others.
Defender Of The Beat

generic

Post by generic » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:58 am

victhrill wrote:I use an M-Audio 1814 on a brand new G4 17" PowerBook, 1.5 Ghz proc,, 2GB RAM and I get the glitches too. It's more then that really. I actually have in my possession (2) FW 1814's and it happens on both. I am also a longtime user and so far LIve 4.x doesn't work as well as the others.
wow i thought it happend because my laptop was underpowerd. but if your new 17" with loads of ram has glitches. then there is no hope for people like me with older powerbooks.
mac os10.2.8
digidesign m-box

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:20 am

That is preposterous...
There absolutely is hope...
You just need to get away from the USB hardware. I have a MOTU 828 MkII and I run significant numbers of tracks (up to 24 in one set) to all 10 analog outputs (stem mixing) to do analog summing. I have a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 (15") with 512Mb of RAM. What you need is hardware with faster firewire controllers, and better drivers. Do some investigation in these forums and you will see just how badly the M-Box has been performing for people. The same goes for the M-Audio glitching on the 17" 'book. M-Audio just has not been able to deliver what we need in the firewire audio dept. (I know, I owned a FW410 once)
Last edited by Vercengetorex on Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I cant think of a sig

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:24 am

I've sent several emails to support and spoken with techs regarding the problems I'm having. They have brought me through clean uninstalls via the Terminal, repairing permissions, switching to bus power only, and making sure there are no other firewire devices plugged in. Nothing helps. Another thing that really kills me is that there is apparently an issue with Panther and syncing to an external midi clock - the tempo sways like 3-5 bpm when slaving. Live 4 + M-Audio FW 1814 + Panther is a very unfortunate scenario right now. I don't know what to do. This is not a hobby, it is my livelihood. I'm in a jam!
Defender Of The Beat

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:33 am

victhrill wrote:Another thing that really kills me is that there is apparently an issue with Panther and syncing to an external midi clock - the tempo sways like 3-5 bpm when slaving.
This is simply not true. I have two machines on my desk right now, both running Panther, and CONSTANTLY using MIDI Beat Clock to sync with no BPM "swings". I have Synced up to 5 machines running Panther using my MIDI thru-box (splitter) with dead on timing. I own a good deal of M-Audio gear and used to reccomend it to friends all the time, however when my friends told me about what M-Audio tech support would tell them ("MIDI sync is broken under Mac OS X 10.2.8" :roll: ) I stopped reccomending them. The fact is they will tell you damn near whatever they have to in order to make the problem someone elses.
I cant think of a sig

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:39 am

Vercengetorex wrote:That is preposterous...
There absolutely is hope...
You just need to get away from the USB hardware. I have a MOTU 828 MkII and I run significant numbers of tracks (up to 24 in one set) to all 10 analog outputs (stem mixing) to do analog summing. I have a 1Ghz PowerBook G4 (15") with 512Mb of RAM. What you need is hardware with faster firewire controllers, and better drivers. Do some investigation in these forums and you will see just how badly the M-Box has been performing for people. The same goes for the M-Audio glitching on the 17" 'book. M-Audio just has not been able to deliver what we need in the firewire audio dept. (I know, I owned a FW410 once)
I'm sorry to say that I think you are right. I thought it would be a good move to go with M-Audio, given its alliances with Ableton, Propellerhead and Apple/Emagic. You would think the communication is better there, leading to more compatibility, but clearly that is not the case. I heard RME has some quality products as well, one of which is an 8-pin firewire audio interface. Any recommendations? I need something with at least 4 inputs (the more pre's, the better) and 4 or more outputs + midi in/out if I can get it. I use it in a live situation and need something compact. I'll check out the 828 now. Thanks.
Defender Of The Beat