Anyone using a Nocturn successfully?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LunaMusic

Anyone using a Nocturn successfully?

Post by LunaMusic » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:01 pm

I just picked one up. Of course the vaunted automap does not work with Ableton. So it seems it only send cc messages, which is surprising. I have it working, sort of. One issue, is that I need to press a button twice to arm a track. I would love to utilize it as its small, well built and looks cool. But it does seem that ableton seems to be ignored by it. Anyone using it with no issues?

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:18 am

I use it to edit my VSTs and use a BCF to handle Live. Works very well.

Search for instant mappings, I did one for the Nocturn it works OK you can further modify it to include transport controls I didn't need them so I didn't put them in. You can also use the MIDI clients to do the standard Live MIDI mapping thing. You can have 16 or 15 and the instant mappings thingy. Should be enough.

Automapping for Live will probably come they look like major Live groupies at Novation HQ!

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:45 am

I was thinking of getting a Nocturn because they are cheap but then I saw the Korg controlers on this board so I think I will wait until they come out before making a purchase.

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 am

littlepig wrote:I was thinking of getting a Nocturn because they are cheap but then I saw the Korg controlers on this board so I think I will wait until they come out before making a purchase.
+1
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

socketghost

Post by socketghost » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:31 am

I was just about to get one of these. I know there's no automapping with Live, but you can use it the regular way with MIDI learn etc., no?

I'm mostly planning on using it for plugins, but I thought I might use it for the odd spot of DJing, where I'd only need to assign the cross-fader and a few bits of EQ. It's only really so I've got some pretty lights to look a bit less lame with my laptop.

stockylocky

Post by stockylocky » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 pm

hey dj synchro, i really wanna use my your instant mappings but cant figure where to put the user configuration file in window vista? Any ideas, im a bit of a dumb ass and went for novation so as to avoid painful programming - doh !!!
Do you think that novation will make it compatible with live instruments ?? Now that would be sweet.....
Alan

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:24 pm

Use the search function for "userconfiguration.txt" to see where it is located on your hard disk that should give you a clue, else if you still can't figure it out, contact Ableton support.

socketghost

Post by socketghost » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:10 am

so I got one in the end. Easy enough to get to work with Live I'd say - really no easier or harder than any other controller I've used. TBH I've not been bothered about no automap for Live - I've not really got into it yet; seems a bit of a pain at the moment.

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:01 pm

I have it for a couple of days and its just working ok right out of the box, its a nice piece of equipment, love the rotary encoders 8)

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Also just bought one...not used it with Live yet as a controller...but as a plugin knobfest it's amazing. Gotta roll yer own tho to get the best out of it I'm finding.

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:37 pm

evernaut wrote:Also just bought one...not used it with Live yet as a controller...but as a plugin knobfest it's amazing. Gotta roll yer own tho to get the best out of it I'm finding.
agreed. dont use it for Live mixing or anything but its fucking dope for plugin nob twiddling and midi CC stuff. I wish my SL had these rotaries too, fuck they are smooth (and sweet). The lights are dope too.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 pm

I DJed with it a while ago, pretty nice.!

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:02 pm

I use it successfully and don't bother about no true Live integration, but when projects do not open when some Automapped plugins are in a greater number (than 1) - this pisses me off.

Recently a big project would not open due to nyquist equalizer which I have got to like for its volume compensation.
It took a lot of effort, experiments and reverting to earlier project backups to realize of the source of problem and get things to work again.

I have searched this forum to see if anyone else reports this issue and found noone.

Does anyone here assign the same cc across different pages? I do it f.e. with CC#7 for the fader. I wonder if this could be the cause.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 pm

What about Nocturn and Zebra?
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:49 am

Just bought a Nocturn (£67! Bloody bargain). The automap is pretty sweet; Reaktor 5 seems to work nicely with it.

What I can't figure out, is how to create a MIDI CC# map for controlling Live. Thoughts?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |