Wyoming

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ThrowAway

Wyoming

Post by ThrowAway » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 pm

Does anyone live or lived in wyoming? A contractor for Mobile just threw a ton of cash at me to come work there....My own place, although a trailer probably, rent free a huge bonus to stick out the winter and every time I talk to him he raises his offer. Are there any redeeming qualities about wyoming that out weigh the isolation, sub-zero temperatures and the fact theres only one gas station and one goods store for 200 miles from where id be living? the guys about to triple what id be getting paid pretty much anywhere else so it has to suck bad im thinking. I wanted opinions from creative types like people on this board, thanks for any input

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:17 pm

do it! solitude would be great for your tunes, money out the wazoo for gear, and no one to pester you, seems like a great opportunity!

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:21 pm

How close are you going to be to Jackson Hole and do you ski?

That place is sick!

j2j

Post by j2j » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:25 pm

WY is beautiful.
too many lasers...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:15 am

Desolate, but BEAUTIFUL and HUGE, the rockies look so much better there than in Col.

Gigantic rolling prairies with huge rock formations jutting out of the earth and rockies in the distance.

But ya, jack shit around.

You'll prolly become the #1 poster.

:wink:
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

sxezskoz

Post by sxezskoz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:26 am

dcease wrote:do it! solitude would be great for your tunes, money out the wazoo for gear, and no one to pester you, seems like a great opportunity!
i am envious of your potential solitude. me and my girl have talked about moving to a place like what you're talking about, but we don't have an incentive like you do. +1 from me.
SXEZSKOZ.com
Jumping higher and living forever since '84.
myspace + facebook + twitter

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:31 am

Look at it as your own little Into The Wild moment except you'll be making lots of money instead of burning it and you don't die in the end.

I sometimes think that kind of isolation and lack of distraction can be great for creativity and you could probably be loud as hell wherever you live. I'm sure the cost of living has to be fairly cheap so you could also look at it as making a large savings account and then move back to civilization if/when you are ready.

All the friends you really need are on the internet anyway.

three

Post by three » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:41 am

As a 10 year veteran of what we call "Europe" it would be extremely hard to get me to come back to the states.

I've said no to a job in the Bay Area (networking, not music, that's the other thing I do) that would have paid me enough money to retire in 10 years.

This job you mentioned? I'd be all the fuck over it.

Free standing studio rent free? All the time in the world to concentrate on music, surrounded by some of the most beautiful terrain on the planet?

Man fuck yeah!

Was this question just to gloat, or are you seriously not sure?

hth,

.cm

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:38 am

doc holiday wrote:How close are you going to be to Jackson Hole and do you ski?

That place is sick!
I would be living in Wamsutter. Its south central wyoming. If jackson hole is in jackson then google maps says its about 6 hours away. I love to ski and snowboard
three wrote:Was this question just to gloat, or are you seriously not sure?
Im trying to talk myself into it and was fishing for help. Im a city man through and through. The only plus's on my +/- list is the money and the proximity to colorado and utah. Im worried I am going to be miserable. Im worried theres going to be no women. I grew up in jersey so ive been through some winters but wyoming winters can be harsh Ive heard. And Ill be moving away from all my friends and family...I guess Im going through the nervousness anyone would be going through before the make a decision like this. I could stay in tampa and make pretty decent money too . I dont know i just dont want to make a mistake and be miserable just for the money. gloat? Im so nervous about this I feel like im going to hurl every time I start to think about it..I reread my orignal post and it does sound like im gloating but that wasnt my intention. Im going to see if I can get a three month contract to see how things are but I dont know if that would fly with them.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:41 am

Isn't Wyoming where they love to drag homos around behind the back of pickups? Or is that South Dakota?

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:42 am

landrvr1 wrote:Isn't Wyoming where they love to drag homos around behind the back of pickups? Or is that South Dakota?

No but apparently they like to kill truck drivers and sodomize them afterwards...

three

Post by three » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:47 am

LIKE I SAID BRO!

Soooooooooooooo all OVER that SHIT yo!

channelite

Post by channelite » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:50 am

It might be a little depressing if you're there by yourself. Wamsutter, WY looks like a small town. If you could do your work for like six months then leave maybe. In the winter, you'd be closer to Steamboat Springs, CO for skiing. If you go there and feel depressed, just think of your pay as a Wyoming resident with no state income tax.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:11 am

ThrowAway wrote:
landrvr1 wrote:Isn't Wyoming where they love to drag homos around behind the back of pickups? Or is that South Dakota?

No but apparently they like to kill truck drivers and sodomize them afterwards...
it's not funny. Matthew Shepard was tied to a fencepost and tortured in Laramie Wyoming. that town is fucking scary, the real deal redneck town.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Shepard

I've driven route 80 across Wyoming dozens of times, 8 hours of hotboxinig with Bob Marley helps. barren flat windy wasteland, all the towns are truck stops, gas, McFood, meth and trucker whores (listen to a CB for some funny shit, tweakers and johns.) if you want to get away from people for a while and live in exile in a wide open area it'll be great.

the Rockies at that point (the continental divide) is just a rise in the plains at that point with a sign saying 'Continental Divide.' Steamboat is about 2.5 hours away, epic mountain.

IMO
jump in with both feet and go for it, or forget it. it can be good to get out of your comfort zone for a while.

speaking of redneck justice
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/us/01texas.html
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dje

Post by dje » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:34 am

Every time I drive out of Denver to Cheyenne, I feel like I'm driving about 30 years back in time. Last time, I took it up to 88 mph and giggled like a school girl. Then I realized I wouldn't be having any fun for the next week.

Keep in mind that the largest city in Wyoming is Cheyenne, which has just over 53,000 people.

If you need the big city feel you will hate it. If you don't mind, you will enjoy having no state income tax.

I don't think isolation boosts creativity. It allows you to focus.