North of New York

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stjohn

North of New York

Post by stjohn » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:26 pm

hi all, sorry for the OT, but id like some opinions on hitting NY + possibly Canada. ive been to NY before, but I was young and didnt really get to see too much. myself and the girlfriend were thinking about flying into NY and travelling up on a bus, checkin out Niagra and shit like that. Maybe onto Toronto??? any buzz going on there? im a techno man at heart, but id be up for hitting anything electronic,multimedia, art.. how about Montréal? im interested about Canada either way because ive met some nice people from there before.

appreciate any feedback, thanks

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 pm

You might want to look into Syracuse and Rochester. Syracuse once had a great scene in the mid 90's and anything is possible. Rochester has a lot of technology thirsty students so there are possibilities.

If I were you I would gun it for Toronto! Without any hesitation.

three

Post by three » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:20 am

I'm originally from Buffalo, which is 30 minutes from Niagara Falls, but have been in Germany for the past 10 years.

If you're anywhere near Buffalo and want to meet some great people who can show you the town PM me. I'll put you in touch with some old buddies that I'm still very close to, a couple of DJ's among them as well. (I shall refrain at this point from commenting on whether hardcore can be DJ'd.... if anyone can do it then it's my buddy Spletty)

Should be able to hook you up with a kickin night anyway.

Chris

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:26 am

cheers for the info guys, and ta very much for the offer three. ill def hit you up when we book. thanks

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:55 pm

skerrrrplink

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:31 pm

If you can get to Montreal, you won't regret it. I lived there for 10 years, before moving to NYC, and I actually think the scene there is stronger than it is here.

There are two really good electronic music festivals, Mutek and MEG. There are a number of venues dedicated to the more esoteric forms of electronic music such as S.A.T. and there is a huge variety of danceable fun electronic stuff going on all the time. My personal favorite is the turbo crunk nights, which is a "hiphop" night, but stil totally electronic oriented. The main group that plays, megasoid, is two guys who use two nord modulars and two machinedrums to remix rap songs live. Very fun night.

Toronto is pretty decent too, but in my opinion not nearly as fun as Montreal.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:34 pm

Toronto is perfect for hip-hop
Montreal nails it for electronic music

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:53 pm

cool thanks again, lads keep it coming!!.. i suppose there is no reason why i cant hit the 2 cities.

Montréal is sounding good tho :D