Vista Optimization with LIVE

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
vinkalmann

Re: Vista Optimization with LIVE

Post by vinkalmann » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:02 pm

user1999 wrote:Anybody using LIVE and VISTA?
please post any optimization tips here!
im sure it will help a lot of people (including myself)

Thanks in Advance
Turning off the Vista sidebar will help out a bit. It'll probably be a while before there's a good list of optimization as the OS is still new and most folks are still using XP.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:41 pm

user1999 wrote:everybody cliams XP is Better than Vista but im not seeing it...When I had XP installed Live was slow as hell and the CPU was always bouncing up ito the 70%-100% Since ive formated my drive and installed Vista, Live's CPU rarely hits 30%.
SO WHATS YOUR EXPLINATION FOR THAT?

By the way...if you really wanted to give me a "joke" tip, you should have said
1. Throw my PC in the trash
2. Go get a MAC
its not a joke, its a fact. xp is better for audio production then vista.
if your computer however was maxing at 70-100 cpu all the time its because:
a: you have a virus/trojan/whatever.
b: you have installed something you shouldnt install.
c: you have a service running thats eating your cpu, such as an antivirus continously scanning etc.
d: you havent defragmented your harddrive in ages. harddrives and audio are very close friends.
e: you cant configure your computer properly, or f: all of the above.

i suggest you read some articles about xp vs vista, and then read up on how to optimize your computer for audio.
another thing you could do is to slipstream xp using bartpe or similar, thus eliminating all unneccessary things not needed for your DAW.

selthym

Post by selthym » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:29 am

I don't mind Vista except for 1 thing.

I have a focusrite saffire soundcard (latest drivers installed) a dual core laptop with 2gb ram. nvidia GeForce Go 7300 video card

I get noticeable pops and clicks in live. I can make these occur by turning on the test tone in audio preferences and wiggling the tone volume up and down. I also get pops in winamp when resizing the window.

Any help would be appreciated.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:43 am

selthym wrote:I don't mind Vista except for 1 thing.

I have a focusrite saffire soundcard (latest drivers installed) a dual core laptop with 2gb ram. nvidia GeForce Go 7300 video card

I get noticeable pops and clicks in live. I can make these occur by turning on the test tone in audio preferences and wiggling the tone volume up and down. I also get pops in winamp when resizing the window.

Any help would be appreciated.
i get the same with winamp and ableton and pretty much anything with my motu 828. but i did unplug my oxygen 8 and has stopped the audio dropouts quite a lot. very odd

particle

Post by particle » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:13 am

VISTA BLOWS DONKYS!!

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:47 am

I've run extensive tests on vista on my lap top and came up with PATHETIC results....

I turned off ALL extra features.... this includes themes printing and administrative services, wallpaper, NOTHING on startup, only ONE program running which is an accurate cpu load analyzer....

a simple task such as dragging a window arroudn could cause random cpu spikes UP TO 65%!!!!!!

inside ableton turning a knob would randomly produce the same results...

most of the time live works OK BUT on RANDOM there a cpu spikes which cause audio cut outs and such with simple instruments....

this is a brand new lap top with cent. core duo with 2gb ram....

There are hundreds of other problems including but not limited to.... lack of support, lack of backwards capabillity.....

Vista is slow, it's buggy.... it's not gonna be a legitamate OS until a service pack comes out.... and probably not service pack 1 cause it doesn't seem to want to address the main issues...

by the way xp had NONE of those problems on the same lap top and live is able to support more cpu intensive instruments with no problems...

Timur

Post by Timur » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:13 am

If anyone needs help with Live and Vista, just let me know. I guess I've seen it all now. ;)

selthym

Post by selthym » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Timur wrote:If anyone needs help with Live and Vista, just let me know. I guess I've seen it all now. ;)
please explain

Timur

Post by Timur » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 pm

What's the concrete question?

Check this: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Eklektric

Post by Eklektric » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:25 pm

so are there any more handy tricks to optimize vista for ableton. (Sony does not support XP drivers for my model)

Ableton 7 is working well on vista for me but sometimes a bit too slow or with crackle etc. I know there are a lot of ways to lower the cpu and stuff. But isn't there something like an official list how to make your ableton work optimal on vista :)

I solved most of my Ableton problems which were most driver or vst compatible issues. But there were a lot of other things too which made my Ableton slower.

here's a list of some things I did:

set my visual effects to best performances

set my power management to high performances

deactivate all unnecesary input and outputs in ableton and also in my soundcard contral panel

close all unneccesary programs like winamp, google, msn,... in taskmanager

set the buffer right

make sure ableton isn't searchin in the browser :)

be aware of heavy cpu using VST's

(maybe some stupid tips but for some of us very useful)

I tried deactivating certain services as said in an online tutorial etc but that caused some problems. So I probably did something wrong

I also tried to do a reg clean with ccleaner but had to undo that because it only made my laptop slower, so I probably did it wrong again

things like services and registry are a bit difficult for me so I rather let them unchanged then having my laptop crashed.

I'm having my first live perfomance next month so I want my laptop to be as optimized as possible :p

All tips are welcome

I'm also looking for a list of live performance tips, I found this thread very handy 'Tips For Laptop Performers'

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... mance+tips

but looking for some more performance tips like

how can I disable my spacebar so I can't accidently stop my whole set when hitting my spacebar :)

(another handy tip: delete all unnecesary midi mappings :)

Eklektric

Post by Eklektric » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:25 pm

double post