The Live Set: Part 6

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:46 pm

Part 3 is up. This part isn't as technical as the previous ones, but I promise it will get really technical really soon.
Before I can go nuts on this Live set, I have to work out some solutions to various problems that pop up as I get deeper into this process.
This is the first time I have actually documented my thought process on this subject matter.
I cant promise that it will be a thrilling read. But it helped me to see some things clearer. Hopefully it does the same for you.

The Live Set: Part 3

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Still following your articles :)

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:12 pm

hey hoff, I'd actually like to thank you for putting the time into this and letting us share. especially the extra effort you put in to give us sound clips. you make me feel more comfortable in approaching things with simplicity in mind whereas normally I always end up thinking it has to be more complicated in order to sound good, but now when I have that voice speaking to me I can simply think about the clips I heard from you and say "shut up voice, remember hoffmans clips?"

I'll definetly take your process to heart, I've already got a process of my own but the spirit of your project will help me in mine no doubt. I think I'm gonna go home this evening and start making lists and charts :)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:04 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:hey hoff, I'd actually like to thank you for putting the time into this and letting us share. especially the extra effort you put in to give us sound clips. you make me feel more comfortable in approaching things with simplicity in mind whereas normally I always end up thinking it has to be more complicated in order to sound good, but now when I have that voice speaking to me I can simply think about the clips I heard from you and say "shut up voice, remember hoffmans clips?"

I'll definetly take your process to heart, I've already got a process of my own but the spirit of your project will help me in mine no doubt. I think I'm gonna go home this evening and start making lists and charts :)
I'm glad its a good read. I wasn't sure how to do this, but it'll help me in the long run. Hopefully it'll help others too.

I made a little update to end of the 3rd article to explain why I'm using the BCR (easy to prototype a controller layout with) and which system I'm using (cheapest core2duo minimac with 2gb ram).

To give you some perspective, the 40% CPU limit I set per song would be equivalent to about 70-90% on my old dual G5. So its a reasonable limit to work with.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:09 pm

rawk it, bj!!!!!!!

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:29 pm

I'm a new Live user and I've been scratching my head about how i'm going to setup a live set using my bcr2000 and control freak. Great blog, I've learnt loads already. Thks

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:13 pm

404: Not Found
Sorry, but the content you requested could not be found

Thats on all 3 parts.. temporary down?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:32 pm

ze2be wrote:
404: Not Found
Sorry, but the content you requested could not be found

Thats on all 3 parts.. temporary down?
Sorry for that, we made some category changes to our site and the old links may be messed up. Here are the new ones:

The Live Set: Part 1

The Live Set: Part 2

The Live Set: Part 3

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 pm

I can't get my Instrument Rack Chain to work as you described in your set so that i can mute the Midi so the effects trail off when cut. I set up a rack with a chain with Operator and a Delay but when i hit the Chain Activator it just cuts the sound entirely.

pls help!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Aequitas123 wrote:I can't get my Instrument Rack Chain to work as you described in your set so that i can mute the Midi so the effects trail off when cut. I set up a rack with a chain with Operator and a Delay but when i hit the Chain Activator it just cuts the sound entirely.

pls help!
You need to use a MIDI Effect Rack with a single chain that contains nothing.
If you use an Instrument Rack, then the mutes will cut the audio.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:36 pm

Hello, great tutorial! :-)

Can I ask how you do this in part 1: "The hat sounds are assigned to Choke Group 1, so that the closed hat will cut into the release of the open hat."

Du you use impulse instead of simpler?

Moody

Post by Moody » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:43 pm

Good Stuff!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 pm

ze2be wrote:Hello, great tutorial! :-)

Can I ask how you do this in part 1: "The hat sounds are assigned to Choke Group 1, so that the closed hat will cut into the release of the open hat."

Du you use impulse instead of simpler?
In the Drum Rack, there is an "I/O Button" that reveals the choke groups in the chain list. If you set 2 sounds to the same group (eg. set both sounds to group 1), then they will cut into each other.
It doesn't matter which instruments you do this with, as long as they are within the drum rack.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:13 pm

hoffman2k wrote:In the Drum Rack, there is an "I/O Button" that reveals the choke groups in the chain list. If you set 2 sounds to the same group (eg. set both sounds to group 1), then they will cut into each other.
It doesn't matter which instruments you do this with, as long as they are within the drum rack.
8O Sweet!!

I knew about the rack sends, but dint realize it had (16!!) choke groups! Very usefull stuff!

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 am

great, bjorn!!

Im trying to do exactly the same with two faderfoxes and a doepfer drehbank.

Default knobs for everything is the solution to condense live´s expandability
into sheer intuition and fun brainless music making.

Please keep us posted. Im curious to know if your mac mini will handle the 16 songs devices. :)

all props to you.

coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.