ten albums you bought this year...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Daddy?!

Post by Daddy?! » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:24 pm

CD's:

Alestorm - (Pirate Metal)
Uncle Moe's Space Ranch - Moe's Town
Machecek/Garrison/Sipe - Improvision
MuteMath
The Advantage - Elf Titled
Filter - Anthems of the Damned
Caroline's Spine - Captured
Devil's Slingshot - Clinophobia
Dokken - Lightning Strikes Again
The Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden
The Frost - Milliontown
Gambale, Donati, Fierabracchi - Made in Australia
Gin Blossoms - Major Lodge Victory
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Helmet of Gnats
Kiko Loureiro - Universo Inverso
Lifehouse
Naikaku - Shell
OSI
He likes a whiskey drink, he likes a cider drink, he likes a vodka drink, he likes a drinky-drink.

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:39 pm

albums

Free the Robots EP
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
Beck - Modern Guilt
Portishead - 3
TV on the Radio - Live Session
Justice - Cross
Chromeo - Fancy Footwork
The Dub Project
Hi Fidelity Dub Sessions

and one to go way back on...

Jamiroquai - The Return of the Space Cowboy (listen to Stuart annihilate the bass)
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:43 pm

8O wrote:
the_planet wrote:I was impressed by a band called 000000000 at Elbo Room.
Damn, went to check out their music, and.. "000000000 broke up in july of 2008" :(
Oh son of a bitch I didn't see that blog! :x: I guess that was their last show.
Well they put on a great show... Kinda Tool meets Lake Trout.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:41 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote:albums

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
What a beautiful & unique album. Really stood out against what his ex-band mates Bob Marley Peter Tosh were releasing at the same time. Not that their material wasn't great too, but Bunny had a very lush approach. And his chord structures & melody lines have always been the most advanced of the original Wailers.

Check out Peter Tosh's "Equal Rights", it begins to approach the same density.

I'll second the other Bunny Wailer recommendations by blackbeltjonz: all good.

Also hunt down the original "Dreamland" by Bunny produced by Lee Perry, & its various versions. I think it may be on a few CDs; one of which is the "Complete Upsetter Collection: Bob Marley & The Wailers" set. With this set you'll also be getting what many consider to be The Wailers best work (mainly compiled into the albums "African Herbsman", "Soul Rebels", & "Soul Revolution").

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:45 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
Meef Chaloin wrote:albums

Bunny Wailer - Blackheart Man
What a beautiful & unique album. Really stood out against what his ex-band mates Bob Marley Peter Tosh were releasing at the same time. Not that their material wasn't great too, but Bunny had a very lush approach. And his chord structures & melody lines have always been the most advanced of the original Wailers.

Check out Peter Tosh's "Equal Rights", it begins to approach the same density.

I'll second the other Bunny Wailer recommendations by blackbeltjonz: all good.

Also hunt down the original "Dreamland" by Bunny produced by Lee Perry, & its various versions. I think it may be on a few CDs; one of which is the "Complete Upsetter Collection: Bob Marley & The Wailers" set. With this set you'll also be getting what many consider to be The Wailers best work (mainly compiled into the albums "African Herbsman", "Soul Rebels", & "Soul Revolution").

all the old Lee Perry stuff that was cut at Randy's Studios with the Upsetters (Carlton Barrett and Aston Barrett were already veteran session players before they defected to the Wailers) was great.... personally some of my favorite early reggae tracks.

that material is often overlooked because it was licsensed and re-liscensed so many times by many little labels in the US and Europe..... and since it's not part of the Island/Tuff Gong catalog, it's perceived to be not as good by casual fans , which is certainly not the case.

Bunny Wailer apparently was a nightmare for a newly international label like Island to deal with, as he would not sign contracts of any kind and was generally difficult to deal with from Chris Blackwell's perspective. Tosh was no picnic either, and by 1974 they were both out of the Wailers picture. typical big label "divide and conquer" strategy.

on a less rootsy level, my favorite Bunny Wailer record might be "Rock And Groove", which has more of a lover's rock feel, i think it was out around 1981 or 82? i'm sure it's out on CD now, but it's solid as fuck..... just a nice record without a bunch of message all the time.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:16 am

blakbeltjonez wrote:all the old Lee Perry stuff that was cut at Randy's Studios with the Upsetters (Carlton Barrett and Aston Barrett were already veteran session players before they defected to the Wailers) was great.... personally some of my favorite early reggae tracks.
Great info about Lee Perry at Randy's. Seems Lee Perry was a bit *upset* when his rhythm section the Barrett brothers left The Upsetters & joined The Wailers to take over the world!

All of the early Lee Perry reggae is greatness galore. The Winston Wright organ tunes really send me. Love the albums "Scratch The Upsetter Again", "Cloak & Dagger", & "Double Seven".

Actually pretty much all of the music Lee Perry produced in Jamaica is stunning. From the early reggae like "People Funny Boy" (which many consider the first real "reggae" song), through his inspired, Eno-esque, production masterpieces from the Black Ark studio like "Super Ape" & "Heart Of The Congos". What an amazing legacy. I had to buy a Mu-Tron Bi-Phase just so I could have that wonderful sound.

I also really like the post-ska, pre-Lee Perry Wailers material; some really good songs produced at that time.

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:33 am

Great info about Lee Perry at Randy's. Seems Lee Perry was a bit *upset* when his rhythm section the Barrett brothers left The Upsetters & joined The Wailers to take over the world!

All of the early Lee Perry reggae is greatness galore. The Winston Wright organ tunes really send me. Love the albums "Scratch The Upsetter Again", "Cloak & Dagger", & "Double Seven".

Actually pretty much all of the music Lee Perry produced in Jamaica is stunning. From the early reggae like "People Funny Boy" (which many consider the first real "reggae" song), through his inspired, Eno-esque, production masterpieces from the Black Ark studio like "Super Ape" & "Heart Of The Congos". What an amazing legacy. I had to buy a Mu-Tron Bi-Phase just so I could have that wonderful sound.

I also really like the post-ska, pre-Lee Perry Wailers material; some really good songs produced at that time.

Winston Wright is the don of organ tunes! it would have to be a head-to-head battle with Jackie Mittoo to see who is champion.... that would be a tough one, Jackie Mittoo had all the Studio One tunes, but Winston Wright did the organ on "Liquidator" by Harry J All-Stars, and many, many others...

"Hypocrites" is my fave Wailers tune of the rocksteady era.... Lee Perry also did some stuff with BMW in the mid 70's at Black Ark (before he burned it down..), stuff like "Smile Jamaica", "Punky Reggae Party", "Rainbow Country" and "I Know A Place"...... all good stuff, i got a few of those 7"s...

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:16 am

oblique strategies wrote:Eno & David Byrne – My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
Ajbbklyn wrote:Miles Davis - In A Silent Way

Two acceptable purchases.

The rest of you, and your shit awful selections, are just fucked and have near zero taste.

My 10 purchases:

1. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
2. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
3. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
4. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
5. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
6. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
7. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
8. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
9. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner
10. Utenzil - Dog's Dinner

The 1st 3 of my purchases are all the proof you need of my superior taste.

koranek

Post by koranek » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:36 am

Hey - Thanks for the tip about the Scofield/MMW release. Just got it now. Saving it for the ride into work tomorrow. If it's anything like Agogo I'm going to a happy camper.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:28 am

blakbeltjonez wrote: Winston Wright is the don of organ tunes! it would have to be a head-to-head battle with Jackie Mittoo to see who is champion.... that would be a tough one, Jackie Mittoo had all the Studio One tunes, but Winston Wright did the organ on "Liquidator" by Harry J All-Stars, and many, many others...
Battle of the titans! Winston wins in my book; there is a quality to his technique that seems more refined, mysterious, & beautiful. Songs like "Liquid Serenade", "Hail Stone", & the ultimate organ song "Double Power" just reach the pinnacle! Those articulated, glass-like percussive tones he got out of a Hammond will always amaze me.

Jackie writes some excellent melody lines though, with songs like "Darker Shade of Black", "Hot Milk", & "Change The Mood" leading the pack.

blakbeltjonez wrote:"Hypocrites" is my fave Wailers tune of the rocksteady era.... Lee Perry also did some stuff with BMW in the mid 70's at Black Ark (before he burned it down..), stuff like "Smile Jamaica", "Punky Reggae Party", "Rainbow Country" and "I Know A Place"...... all good stuff, i got a few of those 7"s...
Yep, know it well. I really like "The Letter" (wicked backup harmonies), "Feel Alright", "Walking Razor" by Peter Tosh, "Pound Get A Blow", "Hurting Inside", "Unjust", & "Screwface" (particularly nice).

Do you know when Bob Marley cut "Babylon Feel This One"?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:51 am

Britney Spears - Blackout
Hilary Duff - Dignity
Ashlee Simpson - Bittersweet World
Lindsay Lohan - Speak
Paris Hilton - Paris
Miley Cyrus - Breakout pre-release
Jonas Brothers - Jonas Brothers
Hanson - The Best of Hanson Live and Electric
Clique Girlz - Clique Girlz
Slayer - Christ Illusion

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:19 pm

The presets - Apocolypsa (not really my thing, but a real grower)
Quivver - Dirty nails & vapour Trails (very well produced - Surin is a wicked track)
UNKLE - End titles (some nice bits, but just sounds like outtakes of the last album)
Dousk - kind of human (terrible - a real let down)
Moshic - Hiloola (very good)
Hybrid soundstystem (very good mixes, both CS are cool)

Thats all recently really.

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:47 pm

Portishead - Third
Ben Frost - Theory of Machines
Kanding Ray - Autonme Fold
Midnight Juggernauts - Dystopia
Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
Atlas Sound - Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Albums that I have bought so far this year (they all happen to be on a drum and bass theme):

High Contrast - Tuff guys don't dance
D-Bridge - Gemini Principle
Calibre - Over Flow
Calibre - Shelf Life
Logistics - Reality Check Point

All though not out until later in the year I think I'm going to buy

London Elektricty - Syncopated City

The last true gig I went to was AIM in Birmingham.

The last party I went to was the Danny Byrd Album launch at the Factory in Birmingham where Klute totally stole the show, he's an amazing drum and bass DJ.
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 pm

1.Radiohead - In Rainbows

2.Portishead - 3

3.Flanger - Nuclear Jazz

4.Steve Jansen - Slope

5.Burnt Friedman - First Night Forever

6.Alison Moyet - Hometime

7.Roisin Muprhy - Overpowered

8.Future Sound of London - Teachings from the Electronic Underground

9.Plaid - Not for Threes

10.David Sylvian - Approaching Silence

Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.