Remix Contest by Team Remixus.com

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
XPM

Post by XPM » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:34 pm

In that case......

I've started a remix!

The only sounds I'm using are those supplied within the remix samples (thought it would be a fun limitation to set myself). This means that synth sounds are constructed from looped waveform periods of the singers voice placed in simpler, and the drums are all of the plosive sounds that she makes when pronouncing the lyrics. I probably wont even use more than 1/8th of a second of her voice at a time, so no lyrics, even though the entire piece will be constructed from a vocal sample. Should be fun, and is sounding nice already.

XPM

BoryZee

Post by BoryZee » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:28 pm

Hmm, now this method sounds Interesting..
We'd love to hear what you can come up with XPM..
Definitely keep us updated with your progress :)

SubLixx

Post by SubLixx » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:56 pm

To pop?

Even more reason to get creative with it.

Mind you I haven't listened to the vox yet. Still downloading the RAR

Update

Just listened to the vox for each track, the singer sounds a bit amateur-ish on some of the parts.

I must admit I think it would be good for yourselves to provide more information here on the posting about who you are,etc. I think people will want to take part more.
Last edited by SubLixx on Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
iMac & Logic Studio

BoryZee

Post by BoryZee » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:11 pm

Well, since you guys are asking for more info, here it is:

The vocalist of both Acapellas is from a former Pop Group.
They toured, and recorded Albums throughout Europe and US
before each embarking on solo careers..

Some of the producers involed with this Contest have had several #1 hits on
Dance Billboard charts and have collaborated with Grammy Award winners (in the Dance Genre)

Also, for more information, due to the high demand,
we'll be posting a website soon to promote the Contest
and to showcase everyone's remix (whoever entered the contest)..

So there's much to look forward to as you can see.. :)

FMB

Post by FMB » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:57 am

SubLixx wrote:
Just listened to the vox for each track, the singer sounds a bit amateur-ish.
Hi, She sounds very professional!! Nothing wrong with here singing! The only thing that bothers me is that you don't know who they are! I've never encountered a remix contest with unknown artists, producers etc. Very strange!!! The download link is from a download provider (free) anybody can do that! There is no website and there explanation is vague! When you are all so famous why don't you show it and prove it?!

And I hope it is organised well, because we all remember the disaster of the Mucky Star remix (Get Physical Music). People had to wait for months and at the end really pull the info out of them. Oké I know now never deal with Get Physical it was a good lesson, but has cost me a lot of time and frustration.

It's often forgotten that there are real people behind those Remixes. People who have invested creativity, time and money and Remixes are a good excuse to rip people of. It's the only business where people are working for free. There are even company's selling remix packs can you believe that?! Sometimes the remix contest is part of the marketing strategy, they already have the winner but now the whole scene talks about that particular track. Only a pity that all remix work is done for nothing!

So organisers of remix contests: Be 100% open and clear, be able to listen to all entry's (there can be a lot!!!), and come with a good reward and no vague record deals, because they mean nothing today! (Even my little brother has a record label and this is no joke!!!!).

Maybe you are a 100% honest BoryZee we don't know yet! But all I know is that I came across a lot of strange remix contests in my life and I joint some of them which has cost me a lot of my time and money and left me with frustration. We can not all be the winner, but we can expect some transparency. You promise a lot! Do you realise that when you have 1200 people sending in a remix you are promising to put them on a website?!
I think it is more realistic to say the first 10 or 20.

David

BoryZee

Post by BoryZee » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Well we finally put together a modest site for you guys..

We've got a good amount of bandwidth
so we'll be posting everyone's mix.
Whoever enters the contest in other words.
(Unless otherwise requested by the owner of the remix)..

We also made a special page for blogging and commenting
about the remixes posted, or anything else that's relevant..

Feel free to log on and check things out for yourself..

www.RemixUs.com

Looking forward to hearing the entrees.. :)

FMB

Post by FMB » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 am

quote: from RemixUs Team
Click Here To Comment 07/17/20080 Comments Tell us about your productions, comment about other remixes, and feel free to drop a hint as to who you think should win the remix contest. Keep it tame and interesting :-)

Best Wishes,

RemixUs Team

YOU GO FIRST! Tell us about your self who are you? What other remixes did you organise? For who do you organise this? Who is the girl singing?
Who did the production? Where are you?

Do you have the permission to use those recordings for a remix? Did you made them your self and because it didn't work out you organise a remix contest?

Best Wishes

Ableton Forumus Team
Last edited by FMB on Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SubLixx

Post by SubLixx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:50 am

BoryZee wrote:Has anyone seen this site yet?
It's brand new and promises to be the next big thing since Facebook/Myspace.. Except it's for Dance Music Producers.

www.RemixBuddy.com

Check it out guys.. Link up with other producers in the field, work on projects together, showcase your music, upload videos, and much more.

All you have to do is create a profile, like on facebook or myspace. It's worth the effort, trust me :roll:
BoryZee, I found your posting that you posted on the day that you joined this forum on the 11 Jan 2008 this year. Titled A New Facebook for Dance Music Producers (RemixBuddy.com)

...mmm interesting
iMac & Logic Studio

FMB

Post by FMB » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi SubLixx
Looks like a other unfinished project from him! Same unprofessional kind of website. His forum got 3 replies (mostly from him self!) I came across it yesterday when I was googling as well. It's the same vague kind of idea there are lots of those on the net.
When you are looking for something serious:
http://www.i-dance.com/ Cool Movie!!!!!

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:21 pm

BoryZee wrote:Well, since you guys are asking for more info, here it is:

The vocalist of both Acapellas is from a former Pop Group.
They toured, and recorded Albums throughout Europe and US
before each embarking on solo careers..

Some of the producers involed with this Contest have had several #1 hits on
Dance Billboard charts and have collaborated with Grammy Award winners (in the Dance Genre)
This what makes me think.... hhhmmmm?

With such a team.. Why d'you want a bunch of wasters like us to do this remix for you?

Are you tired of having so many number 1's?

This question is not to be provocative in any way.. I just don't understand how this works...

Peace

Hd

FMB

Post by FMB » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi , Yes this story is a vague cliche! It explains nothing and keeps us in the dark. My advise don't wast your time on it. The girl who is singing is very talented, the songs are not my style and not pro, but here voice is beautiful.
D :D vid

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Yeah.. I tend to agree... On what you're saying about the 'vague' factor..

Also, Is this a 'remix', or is this a 'compose the musical backing to this vocal idea' competition.. Coz let's be honest here.. for such a 'high profile' act/composer production team, there is very little, let's say 'ground breaking' elements, in either the melody, musical style or anything really.. But I suppose THAT is want they us for :wink: .. Or maybe to compose a WHOLE album, because they could get a ton of really freakin cool ideas.. No?

What experience do you have with doing this kinda stuff?

Hd

Edited to say that I started a 'remix/composition' for this yesterday, and it is quite fun working from a idea thats been started by someone else.. So..
Last edited by heavensdaw on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoryZee

Post by BoryZee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:36 pm

FMB wrote: The girl who is singing is very talented, the songs are not my style and not pro, but here voice is beautiful.
D :D vid

Hey Thanks for the Compliments.. :)

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Hey bobby.. I would be keen to hear your response.. To the points that I'm making.

I think people are interested in the 'transparency' aspect of this project.

Thanks

Hd

BoryZee

Post by BoryZee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:53 pm

heavensdaw wrote: Or maybe to compose a WHOLE album, because they could get a ton of really freakin cool ideas.. No?

Edited to say that I started a 'remix/composition' for this yesterday, and it is quite fun working from a idea thats been started by someone else.. So..
The way we see it is, if we included all the parts with the Acapella,
most of the songs would sound similar.. So thats why we're including the
Acapella by itself, to expand creative boundaries and see what you guys can invent.

It's good to hear you've come up with fresh ideas,
since thats the whole point of this competition..

And unlike most competitions who let you send in your material
without ever hearing from them again, we like to think of everyone
who composes a winner..

That's why we have a page on our site labeled "Current Entries"..
Everyone who sends in their remix will get posted on our site..
and is open to discussion to see who wins the final round.. :D