austin,texas

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:06 pm

John Sweet wrote: And there are no good music stores anywhere here. The blooze thing has ruined them all. Get ready to order everything you need off the interenet

God.

That's another thing. It's bad enough in Austin that you have to suffer through some pampered White douchebag with a "Love Mother Earth" t-shirt on just fucking MURDERING a Townes Van Zandt tune, but Nooooooo. That's not enough.

You gotta suffer through a different pampered White douchebag tool with a fucking Che Guevara T-shirt on pretending to be John Mayer who's pretending to be ___________ (insert any Black Blues artist here).

Kill me now.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Oh, apologies to my record-store bros (plenty of good shit there, we maybe have too many).

I meant music gear stores. ugh.

and shameless plug time: our last Austin show is at the Scoot Inn this Saturday the 25th. They have a nice outdoor stage they just built. I'd recommend it to anybody looking for an open-minded spot (you do have to bring yr own crowd, though).

some videos from our site: http://aux-armes.blogspot.com/search/label/Video

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:10 pm

I think Austin is a pretty great town. I would have moved there myself, but when we got to Texas, we were just sick of living in college towns. However, now, after a few years in a "city", I really yearn for a more liberal place where people don't look at me funny when I ride my bike to the store...

The food is outstanding, as it is in Dallas as well. The music scene is indeed less electro, but at least people are open to it. There are lots of outdoor raves and psytrance events near Austin.

I'd say overall, the vibe of the city is young and hip, but totally laid back. If you're looking to make money, it may not be the place to do it, as the increasing amounts of post-college grads make salaries depressed, while living costs remain high. But if you're a young artist, I'd say it's a great spot for you. If you've got a family, it's also a really great spot.

As for weather, it is hot, but not as humid as Houston, which literally feels like a swamp. Austin is closer to Dallas...a drier heat. If you're coming from California, it'll take you about a year to let your blood thin enough to take the TX heat. Until then, you'll be pretty hot during the summer. Also, Austin has a VERY high pollen count (in the order of 10x Dallas or Houston). So watch out for seasonal allergies.

If you come down for a visit, let us know...perhaps we can arrange a meeting of Live minds.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:50 pm

nebulae wrote: a VERY high pollen count (in the order of 10x Dallas or Houston). So watch out for seasonal allergies.

If you come down for a visit, let us know...perhaps we can arrange a meeting of Live minds.
ya the allergies suck.. i never had allergies anywhere till i lived here.

about 2 years ago i started using local honey and i havn't had a problem since

Casual Beats

Post by Casual Beats » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:50 pm

nebulae wrote:I'd say overall, the vibe of the city is young and hip, but totally laid back.
agreed. this has to be one of the friendliest cities I have ever lived in. Yup, it's pretty damn hot right now, but come october, it's about 8 months of heaven.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:49 pm

nebulae wrote: ...I really yearn for a more liberal place where people don't look at me funny when I ride my bike to the store...
You must live around the yuppies.

I get this when I go to the Wal-Mart near my girlfriend's place. But I'm white.
Unsound Designer

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:53 pm

stringtapper wrote:
nebulae wrote: ...I really yearn for a more liberal place where people don't look at me funny when I ride my bike to the store...
You must live around the yuppies.

I get this when I go to the Wal-Mart near my girlfriend's place. But I'm white.
I'll do one better...I rode my bike TO the Walmart. Then since there are no bike racks, I walked in the store with my bike while shopping.

You should see how Walmart shoppers look at you when you're walking around the store with your bike.

Even more interesting is the reaction of store "security"...the look betrays the internal dialog..."Is that one of our bikes? Looks kinda expensive to be sold here, but who knows....what if he did steal it and is pretending to be his...but then did he steal the helmet too? What a freak walking around with his bike? Who does that? Man, I've seen 'em all. Sheeeeeeet. Anyways, can't wait to get back home in my Suburban. Damn, gotto buy gas again on my 30-mile commute back to the burbs..."

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:04 pm

nebulae wrote:I'll do one better...I rode my bike TO the Walmart. Then since there are no bike racks, I walked in the store with my bike while shopping.

You should see how Walmart shoppers look at you when you're walking around the store with your bike.

Even more interesting is the reaction of store "security"...the look betrays the internal dialog..."Is that one of our bikes? Looks kinda expensive to be sold here, but who knows....what if he did steal it and is pretending to be his...but then did he steal the helmet too? What a freak walking around with his bike? Who does that? Man, I've seen 'em all. Sheeeeeeet. Anyways, can't wait to get back home in my Suburban. Damn, gotto buy gas again on my 30-mile commute back to the burbs..."
LOL! That sounds like something fun to do just to fuck with 'em!

I've had to tell the gf I can't see her as much because the Denton to White Rock commute is becoming impossible with gas the way it is.
Unsound Designer

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:38 pm

ryansupak wrote:I lived in Austin (34th and Duval) for a few months and left.

I basically agree with the synopsis of it being a place where affluent white liberals congratulate each other. It is now severely gentrified as well -- working artists basically can't afford to live in the desirable areas -- and certainly they can't own there. It's also one of the most racially-segregated cities I've ever seen. Basically everybody I know who wants to move there, now, are yuppies who like really boring indie rock. (edit: no offense if you want to move there and this doesn't describe you. Just what I've seen on the wind, that's all.)

Some nice things about it: South Austin/UT/North Campus/Hyde Park (what people think of when they say "Austin") is a wonderful contiguous series of neighborhoods. It's also nice to be able to go cliff climbing within the city limits, since greenbelts run through the heart of the city.

I prefer Houston, myself. The fastest-growing city in the US, rated the best place to make money from nothing, and extremely, extremely diverse. If you live inside the loop it's also very easy to get around. (Because its core identity is that of a working town, it's very underrated by hipsters, and I like it that way.) Also, landrvr, if you liked the food in Austin, you'd love the food in Houston.

rs
there are only parts of houston i would dare live in. north side to west side. the rest is really quite ghetto.

aside from that rush hour traffic on any of the major freeways will kill an hour easy. if you live a few minutes from work, not so bad, but may God have mercy on your soul if you have to make any sort of commute.

the "scene" in houston at the moment is "eh." its been better. about 5 years ago it was absolutely rockin, but one of the main guys that was generating a lot of the events and promotions somehow shot himself in the foot with out of town connections and a lot of the big name stuff went away.

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 pm

I'd be down to rage on Walmart with our bikes! I say we ride them while shopping.....
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Houston is fucking chaos! If you don't know what the fuck you are doing here; find somebody who does that you trust QUICK!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Moody wrote:I'd be down to rage on Walmart with our bikes! I say we ride them while shopping.....
should do a national critical mass walmart raid

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:17 pm

The entire State of Texas should be nuked from orbit.

Global Warming? Solved.

Getting rid of 80% of the Right Wing? Solved.

Stopping obesity in the US? Solved.

US being the #1 consumer of fossil fuels? Solved.

Future Texan presidential candidates? Solved.

Getting rid of 80% of the Hillbillies in the US? Solved.

The Honky Tonk resurgence movement led by pampered White douchebags? Solved.

I'm sure there's more, but isn't this enough? Next to New Jersey, I can't fucking think of a state more deserving..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:20 pm

landrvr1 wrote:The entire State of Texas should be nuked from orbit.

Global Warming? Solved.

Getting rid of 80% of the Right Wing? Solved.

Stopping obesity in the US? Solved.

US being the #1 consumer of fossil fuels? Solved.

Future Texan presidential candidates? Solved.

Getting rid of 80% of the Hillbillies in the US? Solved.

The Honky Tonk resurgence movement led by pampered White douchebags? Solved.

I'm sure there's more, but isn't this enough? Next to New Jersey, I can't fucking think of a state more deserving...
FUCK ILLINOIS. :roll:

take out Chicago and what do you have? a redneck wasteland.

on a global scheme, fuck Chicago. of the top 20 cities in the world to see, Chicago isn't one of them.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:37 pm

landrvr1 wrote:Future Texan presidential candidates? Solved.