UPDATE: 7.0.10 GEAR SYNC. It works. Anyone else?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:11 pm

I've also been having sync issues with my MPC.

This is when I set MPC as master and slave Live to the MPC. The beginnings of my drum patterns are thrown off and in loop mode the midi notes are thrown out of whack.

Additionally, I have also had issues syncing the MPD32 to Live. It does not slave to Live when Live is set as master.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:01 am

@adventurepants_: Thanks for some suggestions on alternatives. I'm going to be taking a look at those. I really do love Live. I want it to be my everything, but perhaps it can't (or shouldn't, and never will be). Oh well.

Sleep Tyght

Post by Sleep Tyght » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:33 am

Tohtruck wrote:I've also been having sync issues with my MPC.

This is when I set MPC as master and slave Live to the MPC. The beginnings of my drum patterns are thrown off and in loop mode the midi notes are thrown out of whack.

Yup that's my primary issue right there. I even have issues with slaving the MPC though.
Whatever Doesn't Kill You, Only Makes You Stranger.

theque

Post by theque » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:38 am

i would really like to get an answer from ableton on this one, this is a really integral floor, that i have been waiting to get fixed since live 4. i am no progamer, but surely if a 1980's drum machine can hold a perfect sync, a computer and software in 2008 can do it.

please ableton let us know

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:43 am

ugh! i still havent set up my ER-1 and SR-16 to sync with live... judging from this thread, it wont be a lot of fun :(

thanks for the heads up. i'll write back and inform about my success/failure in the next few days.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:11 am

Homebelly wrote:
j2j wrote:I thought that there were issues, but they redesigned for v7....

You'll are still having trouble?

Does anybody have problems with syncing nord leads or modulars?
me..
G2 NM
but only the sequencers..
at least.. it seems more obvious with the sequencers,, they seem to jitter and Lives CPU will spike. This is also true using my Zero 8...

Hmm. So how does Live work as a Master when controlling something like an external synth's step sequencer tempo? Does it?

Shit.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:46 am

landrvr1 wrote:
Homebelly wrote:
j2j wrote:I thought that there were issues, but they redesigned for v7....

You'll are still having trouble?

Does anybody have problems with syncing nord leads or modulars?
me..
G2 NM
at least.. it seems more obvious with the sequencers,, they seem to jitter and Lives CPU will spike. This is also true using my Zero 8...

Hmm. So how does Live work as a Master when controlling something like an external synth's step sequencer tempo? Does it?

Shit.

Thats when i seem to get the issues.
If i set Live as slave to my Zero 8 and run the nord from there it is marginally better.
But i would much prefer to have live be the master for both the nord and the zero 8.
However, this leads to all kinds of cpu spikes and drop outs that end up meaning live falls further and further out of whack until the whole set up becomes an intolerable mess... :cry:

This is the only aspect of live that gives me any kind of grief..
In every other way it is a gift from god...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:49 am

Further to all of this..
One area i'm interested to get more info on is who is having these issues using a Fire wire audio/midi box, and is any one having the same issues using a USB audio/midi box?
Is any one having these issues using a USB just for MIDI?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:19 am

ive had the problems on both a PCI audiophile 2496, and a Firewire Firebox.

the point is, that if i use the exact same hardware with another host, no midi slop. but other hosts are nowhere near as much fun for what i want to do.

use the same setup in Live, its Midi Soup! mmmmm runny.

amoeba

Post by amoeba » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:50 am

Live - "Does Not Play Nice With Others"

pretty much sums it up for me. otherwise downright amazing. but playing nice with others is NOT optional in any way whatsoever.

i hope they fix it, and i'm tired of bitching about it. i HAVE to switch to something else if something doesn't change, QUICK.

markaugust

Post by markaugust » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:12 am

+1

7.05 and 7.07 fuck all the syncing up
7.02 sort of does the best out of the 7 editions, but also this one goes sloppy after a while. this is the one I use; allthough here I have that "cannot preview samples" - bug and the "don't seem to remember anything as a undo" bug

pretty annoying

6.1 is bang on, but most projects i started lately were with 7 so impossible to go back.

(rme multiface 2)

IT IS a live problem
not a set-up problem.

they really have to sort this one out.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:49 pm

Homebelly wrote:
landrvr1 wrote:
Homebelly wrote: me..
G2 NM

Shit.

Thats when i seem to get the issues.
If i set Live as slave to my Zero 8 and run the nord from there it is marginally better.
But i would much prefer to have live be the master for both the nord and the zero 8.
However, this leads to all kinds of cpu spikes and drop outs that end up meaning live falls further and further out of whack until the whole set up becomes an intolerable mess... :cry:

This is the only aspect of live that gives me any kind of grief..
In every other way it is a gift from god...

Oh man, that really bums me out. I'm awaiting my first analog hard synth in years, and was hoping to set it as a slave for the sequencer and arpeggiator.

8O

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:27 pm

UPDATE!

So... indeed... it is true... my outboard machines are virtually unsyncable (is that a word?) to Live.

Works fine with Logic 8, though i'm still in the process of tweaking it to perfection. still not quite there, but solid enough.

In Live, however, virtually impossible to sync. It's frustrating. First major problem i've had with Live in the 2 years since i've been using it :cry: :cry: :cry:

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:37 pm

aqua_tek wrote:UPDATE!

So... indeed... it is true... my outboard machines are virtually unsyncable (is that a word?) to Live.

Works fine with Logic 8, though i'm still in the process of tweaking it to perfection. still not quite there, but solid enough.

In Live, however, virtually impossible to sync. It's frustrating. First major problem i've had with Live in the 2 years since i've been using it :cry: :cry: :cry:

Weird. My new synth syncs perfectly. No drift at all. Takes the clock right from Live and all good so far....

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:51 pm

+1 for the bump !

:x

this is F'd up !!!

using a MultifaceII to send Midi out... (stopped using the BCR midi out since v7)
Syncs fine on Reaper and Renoise....

too bad I'm hooked on session view otherwise this SW would be so gone...(!)
the most annoying thing is Ableton is denying that there's a problem !
(a serious one!)
Live is supposed to be all about sync...