sampler

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mja

sampler

Post by mja » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:17 pm

Ive been using ableton about two years now but Ive never purchased the sampler.Just wondering what people thought of it,is it worth buying.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:36 pm

depends on what you want to do.

sample playback for a 'real' instrument sound, it's not so lightweight, mostly the fault of the EIC, I think.

for sound mangling it's good fun.

you can try it in demo mode with any version of Live. there's also a Sampler demo video on this site.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:40 pm

same here, I used it in Live 7 demo (I didn't update my Live 6), it's a nice tool, but hell it's expensive, too expensive for me. I can buy it bundled with my update, but I also need to pay for the aas craps I dont need. I d really like to have a smooth ipdate+sampler+operator bundle, reasonably priced.

Moreover the update model is strange: once you buy sampler or operator, you have to update Live to have your instruments updates. And if you leave Live, you also loose your instruments. So even if I really like the way sampler is integrated into live, I definitly won't buy it at full price. To me it should simply be a part a Live.

Post by 4.33 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:03 pm

it's excellent for melting and bending sounds and for creating your own unique instruments
it's very easy to use and you can drag and drop sounds into it
it's just one thing that can inspire

hell, that reads like an ad..

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Yeah, it is still expensive. I managed to buy it from another user for $120, which is totally worth it for me, since I use it all the time now. But then they were still charging $199 for it!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 pm

I like Sampler a lot - it's my main Sampler...for the price, Kontakt gives you a lot more in terms of effects, features, content....

but what you really get with Sampler is true integration...that's what you really pay for...true to all things Ableton (except the AAS addons), it's not just the raw sounds, but rather the capabiities with true integration into Live. Sampler becomes an instrument in its own right, and with the ability to automate and mangle things in ways you can't with any other sampler (because it's not integrated into the DAW like Sampler is), you will reap benefits in experimentation far greater than Kontakt.

However, if you want sampled strings, or traditional instruments, for the price, Kontakt is a better deal.