Track: tips to eliminate BG noise

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Aequitas123

Track: tips to eliminate BG noise

Post by Aequitas123 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:26 pm

So i've been posting a lot lately and its mostly been in regards to this track ive been working on:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/15838450195e5eac/

I've got the tracks aligned and tuned not to bad. Now i need 2 things:

1. Tips on how to eliminate the Metronome that bled through and the background noise.

2. Processing techniques (effects, bussing...etc) to make it sound more instrumentish.

Thanks for any help!!

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:28 pm

20 Views and no help?!

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:25 pm

BG noise is a hard thign to deal with

its almost impossible to eq away because its hardcoded into the audio and would run across the entire spectrum..
honestly id record again getting a better sound

if you try zooming in really close and cutting away all of the audio tahts not any signing if you get me?
that might help when ever there is a pause in the vocals to remove the noise

by instrumentish do you mean more acoustic?
cos in that case its gonna be hard, and i cant help you with that
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

guly

Post by guly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:30 pm

didn't listen the sound, but you can give an opportunity to izotope software i used to get appreciable results with this
i'm an artist, don't ask me why.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks for the comments....

I don't mean more acoustic, i mean more processed to sound less like vocals and more pad/synth/vocodish.

Guly what is izotope?

guly

Post by guly » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:57 pm

izotope is a software house, izotope rx is a software that claim to remove noise from sound.
i'm an artist, don't ask me why.

solacerodgers

Post by solacerodgers » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:57 pm

As far as the noise I downloaded the file and checked it out. I would use these plug-ins ( free download from the magix samplitude coder )

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=5

I had to work with each side of the signal independant as trying to fix this as a stereo file did not work. First start with a chan ( L or R does not matter ) and use the floorfish plug-in to remove most of the background noise then I used spitfish and adjusted it to fix the strong sylibance you have going on. After I finished the one side I switched to the other and did the same. After that I had to go in a physically zoom in and silence or set to zero the audio between the tracks and at the start and tails that were left over. Alot of work to get them clean. I only did the first 30 seconds and it took me about a 20 min's.

As for more synth like vocals what are you using now? NI Vokator with a instrument is great.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for the tips Solace.

Ill give that a shot.

I'm just using Abletons in-box effects. I'll take a look into the Vokator.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:17 am

+1 for Izotope RX for this kind of work. It costs money of course but it's the quickest way to do these kinds of things. Once you know how to use the 'Spectral Repair' parameter you will be amazed with what you can remove from a bad recording.

For the metronome I would use the Declicker and Spectral Repair, in that order, on each click. For the ambient noise, find a portion of it by itself (might have to do this after you take the click out) and train the Denoiser on that portion, then select the entire file and apply the Denoiser.
Unsound Designer

etceterax

Post by etceterax » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:50 am

I haven't listened to the track at all, but if you plan to use a vocoder the background noise might not matter. If you mix the sound with another wave with a vocoder to give it a more synth-like sound, the bg noise will also take on those synthy qualities which can yield some cool results.
Drop it like it's lukewarm.