The Elusive Great MIDI Controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
abort

Post by abort » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:31 pm

thanks!!! 790 bucks!!? ..back to work!!!

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:37 am

I'm getting a faderfox lv-2. And maybe i'll get one for knobs and one for buttons after some time. Wil get a lv-2 soon i think!

And a midisystem for my guitar. Axon ax-50

Synchro

Post by Synchro » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:50 am

Patch wrote:RUDE!
You broke my heart.
Last edited by Synchro on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:09 am

This whole quandary is ultimately why I went back to considerably more primitive dedicated hardware.

Some things take longer on older tech of course, but I realized I was going to greater and greater lengths to make a laptop behave like a mixing desk and tape machine.

Nonetheless, Godspeed to everybody who is still working on this problem (as I once was). When somebody makes a box where I can, under 98% of circumstances, switch the video monitor off and just use the hardware to do everything, I'll be thrilled.

$0.02,
rs

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:30 am

The ultimate midi controller would have to have a visual indicator on itself (LCD like the Novation Remote Zero SL ) for every single control on it...

As far as the ultimate for everyone, that doesn't exist... But if you could look at the controller itself and know exactly whatever everything does without writing on it with tape etc... That would be godly.

Full touch screens are the best you can get for that I guess, but there's no physical connection there.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:26 am

hambone1 wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
hambone1 wrote:There are SO many controllers out there.

It's easy to blame the equipment on a lack of talent and creativity!
of course somebody had to say something condescending like that. nobody is blaming their equipment for a lack of creativity god dammit they are just asking for a controller that is built well and laid out logically which is not to much to ask.
What's logical and well-built to you isn't necessarily what's logical and well-built to me... or to anyone else.

DJ? PA? VJ? LD? Band? Theater? Video? Lighting? Studio? Live? Portable? Fixed installation? Modular? Software configurable? Automap? Touchscreen? Knobs? Rotary encoders? Faders? Buttons? How many of each? Mimic Live's interface? Or your own? Visual feedback? MIDI? USB? Wireless? Built-in audio interface? How many channels? Built-in MIDI interface? Battery power? Automated moving controls? Fingers? Feet? Programs? etc...

Everyone has different requirements and budgets. Rather than waiting around for your perfect controller, why not just pick one (or two) and make the best of it?

THAT'S the talent and creativity I'm talking about... making the best of what's out there right now rather than making excuses... god dammit...
who said they weren't making use of what they have? and who's making excuses? theres nothing wrong with stating that you want something and it certainly doesn't mean you're making excuses about anything.

most midi controllers these days are built like toy you get at walmart, haven't you noticed that?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

misteron

Post by misteron » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:42 pm

didn't think I'd see anything from these guys ever again.
www.machinecollective.org
But they do seem to be making progress at last.
No officail prices yet but the projectred prices look decent (end of first page IIRC).

I really like the idea of building a controller with a small screen that would show ONLY the waveform of the currently playing clip.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A