Updates from Afghanistan

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:53 am

sweetjesus wrote:the USA and Britain need to stop supporting sides of governments within countries and especially need to stop trying to support dictators that are in alignment with their interests. that creates problems in the middle east.
or every other area of the world. that's the entire subject matter of this book. it's the American way. that's not gonna change. sad truth, not until the US falls and the next superpower takes over that job.
http://www.amazon.com/Hegemony-Survival ... 0805074007
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

glu

Post by glu » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:57 am

Tone Deft wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:the USA and Britain need to stop supporting sides of governments within countries and especially need to stop trying to support dictators that are in alignment with their interests. that creates problems in the middle east.
or every other area of the world. that's the entire subject matter of this book. it's the American way. that's not gonna change. sad truth, not until the US falls and the next superpower takes over that job.
http://www.amazon.com/Hegemony-Survival ... 0805074007
good read!
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:04 am

M. Bréqs wrote:
Fair enough on this point. But China is doing the same thing (Sudan, Western Africa, Tibet). And the Soviets did too. And the Persian empire; didn't they sponsor dictatorial puppet states? Of course they did. In fact, every nation that has economic or military power / influence uses it similarly. My point is that the Western societies have done LESS harm and more good in the balance, and Western dominance is preferable to any contemporary alternative.
You just named some of the least democratic nations on the face of the planet as justification for our own support of dictators......
You make my point for me here, no dominance of other countries is a great contemporary alternative to trying to dominate. Consistent war and global chess games have consequences, and that would be terrorism. Blaming religion is weak, any religion of any country will be used to gather support against what the people feel is an invader or aggressor, period.
Your consistent support of any move by the west makes it difficult to imagine how you got such a pair of mental blinders? Are you willing to admit any wrong doing on our part or is it all the nasty muslims fault? What about Iraq is right, just and good for instance? I'm not seeing anything personally.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:02 am

Machinesworking wrote:
M. Bréqs wrote:
Fair enough on this point. But China is doing the same thing (Sudan, Western Africa, Tibet). And the Soviets did too. And the Persian empire; didn't they sponsor dictatorial puppet states? Of course they did. In fact, every nation that has economic or military power / influence uses it similarly. My point is that the Western societies have done LESS harm and more good in the balance, and Western dominance is preferable to any contemporary alternative.
You just named some of the least democratic nations on the face of the planet as justification for our own support of dictators......
You make my point for me here, no dominance of other countries is a great contemporary alternative to trying to dominate. Consistent war and global chess games have consequences, and that would be terrorism. Blaming religion is weak, any religion of any country will be used to gather support against what the people feel is an invader or aggressor, period.
Actually, I think our points are starting to converge here; the US, being a democratic state founded in liberal principles, is LESS damaging in its hegemony than China, Russia, or others. Ultimately, it can be described in terms of Game Theory; If the US didn't play this "global chess game", then worse states or civilizations would achieve a level of global dominance that would be even worse for world stability. Because of China, Russia, et al, the west (as is every civilization) is forced to participate in this harsh business. And I believe that the world is better off for it. Now, if you could get every society to give up manipulation and colonial ambition, that would be great; but I doubt it's going to happen in our lifetimes. Until then, a realist must concede that the West must continue to influence global affairs and maintain a strong presence worldwide.
Machinesworking wrote:Your consistent support of any move by the west makes it difficult to imagine how you got such a pair of mental blinders? Are you willing to admit any wrong doing on our part or is it all the nasty muslims fault? What about Iraq is right, just and good for instance? I'm not seeing anything personally.
My consistent support for the West is based on a rational assessment of the alternatives. In the absence of a strong Europe and North America (both heavily influenced by the Reformation and Age of Enlightenment), the world would be far worse off under the yoke of a less liberal civilization.

I have always admitted western failings. But I temper that admission with western achievements, most of which you choose to ignore. And, even in consideration of these failings, the West comes out with the moral high ground considering the good it has done for the world, not just in terms of real contributions to medicine and the sciences, philosophy, economic development and politics, but also in terms of preventing worse societies from dominating.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:13 am

M. Bréqs wrote: Ultimately, it can be described in terms of Game Theory; If the US didn't play this "global chess game", then worse states or civilizations would achieve a level of global dominance that would be even worse for world stability. Because of China, Russia, et al, the west (as is every civilization) is forced to participate in this harsh business. And I believe that the world is better off for it.
Here you seem to be implying that the west( ergo; the US/UK-EU) is forced into playing inside this game.
I'm not sure i would agree with that. It's been a while since i have spent much time thinking about things from this angle, but i'm sure i could come up with an opinion that could imply that it was the west that initiated this game.

On your other point. I'm not going to deny the achievements that my own prevailing culture has given the world, but at the same time i'm not going to ignore the fact that these achievements have been built on the foundations of just as great and just as important achievements that came before them in all of the Eastern Cultures. This is especially true for both China and Persia/Iran-Iraq.

Another point you keep making is that what the east needs, and what Islam in particular is crying out for, is it's own age of enlightenment. This is kind of Ironic as it could be argued that these cultures had been or where going through that evolutionary stage already and that that transition might even have had it's own influence on the west leaving it's religious hegemony behind. In fact i would say that any influence that the age of enlightenment had had on both cultures has been made null and void and been replaced with a whole different kind of hegemony that in both examples is bordering on tyranny. Here in the west we live under the weight of capitalism and debt and the growing neo-conservative ideals while in the east they are being forced further and further away from their traditions and having that void filled with the distortions of Salafism/Wahhabism.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

glu

Post by glu » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:32 pm

sounds like someone needs to read Foucault about the dark side of Enlightenment.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:06 pm

glu wrote:sounds like someone needs to read Foucault about the dark side of Enlightenment.
Done that; excerpts of Les Mots et les Choses at least, anyways. I've also read some criticism of him, but I can't remember what or by who. I took some modern philosophy in University, though with a degree in Asian Studies and History, I have a deeper knowledge of Vedic, Confucian, Taoist and Legalist thought than with guys like Foucault. But what I do know is that while he rejects the the values and principles of the Enlightenment but uses these same principles as a philosophical tools to prove his point.

Foucault was really nothing more than a fashionable nihilist, who offered nullity as an alternative to the very Western society that fed him, raised him, protected his freedom of expression, and in every other way fostered his ability to be a professional thinker of anti-westernism

If that isn't a Jerry Seinfeld level of irony, I don't know what is.
Last edited by M. Bréqs on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:07 pm

glu wrote:
good read!
Funny... Glu want's to refer me to both Foucault as well as Chomsky, when Chomsky was actually one of Foucault's biggest critics.

:wink:

glu

Post by glu » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:56 pm

of course, it's good to have a balanced discourse.

glu

Post by glu » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:11 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:
glu wrote:sounds like someone needs to read Foucault about the dark side of Enlightenment.
Done that; excerpts of Les Mots et les Choses at least, anyways. I've also read some criticism of him, but I can't remember what or by who. I took some modern philosophy in University, though with a degree in Asian Studies and History, I have a deeper knowledge of Vedic, Confucian, Taoist and Legalist thought than with guys like Foucault. But what I do know is that while he rejects the the values and principles of the Enlightenment but uses these same principles as a philosophical tools to prove his point.

Foucault was really nothing more than a fashionable nihilist, who offered nullity as an alternative to the very Western society that fed him, raised him, protected his freedom of expression, and in every other way fostered his ability to be a professional thinker of anti-westernism

If that isn't a Jerry Seinfeld level of irony, I don't know what is.

Maybe you are thinking of Nancy Fraser or Nancy Love- both critiqued/critisized/
contrasted Foucault and Habermas. Foucault didn't 'reject' the values of Enlightenment, he was concerned with power differentials, who defines democracy, etc. Yes he was a bit of a nihilist, but mainly because he didn't provide solutions to democratic problems.

His critique of Enlightenment is still extremely valuable- he evinces
some of the main problems with democratic theory.

I thought you would appreciate that,being so pro-democracy and all...

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

glu wrote:of course, it's good to have a balanced discourse.
Dude, I sure wish more people around here thought like you.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:56 am

Bréqs, you haven't posted in a while.

Hope all is well with you.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm back in one piece; thanks for asking Smu...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:59 pm

damn.

i'll always remember today as "the day the dream died."

maybe you can still join up with some sort of mercenary group like you wanted to in the first place. I'll keep the hope alive.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:11 pm

That's not very nice.