Monome

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 pm

beats me wrote:It seems so 2007 and limited when you consider the rumor of an Apple touch pad coming out.
sure, if you don't want to actually touch buttons then enjoy touching a piece of glass that you have to be looking at to make sure you actually pressed it. I can place my hand on the monome and look away while I keep pressing different buttons, almost like a guitar fret board I know where I'm at without looking because it's tactile.

before I got the thing I was unsure of whether I thought it was a gimmiky device or not. after I got it I realised it's a true instrument. most video's just show it making noise like a cat on a piano though which leads people to believe it's a gimmik.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:30 pm

I understand the tactile issues people have with touch screens but it can't be argued that a monome has more possibilities than a lemur or touch screen computer. Some people might have difficulties trying to be elaborately creative with a grid of non descript push squares. Different strokes for different folks.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:37 pm

I'll agree with you there it certainly isn't gonna do all the things a lemur can do. but all I want it to do is be a step sequencer, looper, and maybe sometimes a fader box. It does exactly what I need it to do. but i'll certainly agree that some folks might be better off with something else.

monome has the limitation of no labeling. I don't mind it but some people might. I actually have tape across the bottom and the left site to label rows and functions. of course it isn't gonna do any knob functions, but faders it can do.

yeah, different strokes for different folks. but to say it's limited compared to a touch screen seems a tad bit off to me, almost like a apples and tomatoes kind of thing.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:48 pm

I don't think the Lemur and the Monome can really be compared to each other, they are very different things, and the monome will never be able to do some of the things that the Lemur can do, but then the Lemur is about 3 times the price of the 128.
For me the Monome is excellent from a theatrical point of view. Max/msp has become a massive part of theatre sound design, so incorporating that into the monome will open a whole new world of sound design for me!

I would love to have a Lemur as well, but not going to get greedy!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:56 pm

I've enjoyed my monome because it's not Live, it's not a computer, it's not even always the same application running on it. it makes me think differently. the interaction with the loops in mlr is great fun.

I still don't get the waiting list, there's money to be made, that is until some corporation starts knocking them out, and some douchebag will eventually do just that (easy money.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I've enjoyed my monome because it's not Live, it's not a computer, it's not even always the same application running on it. it makes me think differently. the interaction with the loops in mlr is great fun.

I still don't get the waiting list, there's money to be made, that is until some corporation starts knocking them out, and some douchebag will eventually do just that (easy money.)
there is no more waiting list.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:55 am

t1mp wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:I've enjoyed my monome because it's not Live, it's not a computer, it's not even always the same application running on it. it makes me think differently. the interaction with the loops in mlr is great fun.

You mean no waiting list after the one I am currently on since January approximately 4 minutes after they sold out? And I noticed from their site they aren't expecting to ship those until October AND they managed to bump up the price $50. So that's waiting 9 months for something and as a bonus you get to pay more. Whoever wrote their business plan needs to be fired.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:57 am

beats me wrote:
You mean no waiting list after the one I am currently on since January approximately 4 minutes after they sold out? And I noticed from their site they aren't expecting to ship those until October AND they managed to bump up the price $50. So that's waiting 9 months for something and as a bonus you get to pay more. Whoever wrote their business plan needs to be fired.

:P

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:34 am

beats me wrote:
t1mp wrote:

They wrote it, so if they fire themselves no more monome...tsk tsk

:roll:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:34 am

landrvr1 wrote:
beats me wrote:

:P

thats where the difference is though, I don't think of monome as a business as much as a art project that found a way to finance itself. they don't want to produce 100,000 of these things they just wanna make a bunch of them so they can keep doing whatever else it is they are doing, and then when they need money again they'll make some more.

50 dollar increase was due to rising prices to build the unit. and when you consider that it cost most people more than 50 dollars to fill their gas tank it's really a very small increase in price.

the only problem I ever had with monome is the first day I ever used it I was confused as all hell as to why it wouldn't do anything. I had to install a couple of things that I didn't have already and then update to the latest version of max runtime to get it to work. my complaint about them isn't that it was hard to set up but the fact that they didn't include ANY set up disc to help me get started or any documentation. the web site tells you all you need to know of course but I figure since I dropped $800 on them the least they could do is print 3 pages to tell me what to do when I first plug it in and MAYBE even go balls out and burn me a cdr with a couple of the things I'll need to make it do anything. it would cost them about a dollar to do that and it would have made me have a much higher opinion about them. not that I have a bad opinion of them by any means, but I could have had a higher opinion of them.

tehn is really helpful on the forum though, always around and always ready to help. and they often fix the hardware at no charge if it's been a reasonable amount of time even though as far as I know there is no warrenty given (could be wrong about that though)

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:11 pm

It's real easy for people who already have a monome to try to justify whatever business practices they have with potential future customers, but a 9 month waiting list with a random price increase for whatever reason is bullshit. These things aren't made out of enriched uranium. They could have asked for a deposit from anybody on the waiting list to help them buy parts but no because A. they would actually be obligated to get them made in a reasonable amount of time and B. they know if you can't handle the wait or the price increase then somebody else is perfectly willing to buy them so your patience doesn't amount to shit. They should just post on their site "we're a small group of people who have no interest in expanding to reach the demand".

But put whatever spin you want on it in the name of the boutique community and I'll stop talkin' about your mama.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:24 pm

beats me wrote:It's real easy for people who already have a monome to try to justify whatever business practices they have with potential future customers, but a 9 month waiting list with a random price increase for whatever reason is bullshit. These things aren't made out of enriched uranium. They could have asked for a deposit from anybody on the waiting list to help them buy parts but no because A. they would actually be obligated to get them made in a reasonable amount of time and B. they know if you can't handle the wait or the price increase then somebody else is perfectly willing to buy them so your patience doesn't amount to shit. They should just post on their site "we're a small group of people who have no interest in expanding to reach the demand".

But put whatever spin you want on it in the name of the boutique community and I'll stop talkin' about your mama.
dont be such a fucking insolent cretin.

random price increase ? RANDOM ? ...are you serious ?
Newsflash: U.S. Dollar has plummeted in value. This can increase some costs, fucking OBVIOUSLY. The worst part is, you're the kind of douche who has actually heard of other companies increasing prices yet you still have the audacity to suggest the monome increase is RANDOM.

They are two people who have made their project completely open, go ahead and make one out of arduino if you want one, faggot. You're talking like they're obligated to furnish the world with monomes. Yet all the info is provided for you to make your own.

You've been bitter about monome since you were beaten in that 2minute rush. Get over it. You weren't even that pushed about it in the first place :roll: :lol:
Last edited by b0unce on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spreader of butter

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:32 pm

The Monome IS a piece of art. It's sculpture that works and functions. If I was on a waiting list for one, I'd be a bit miffed, but ultimately understanding of the situation because I'm waiting for my sculpture. Waiting lists for many popular artists are actually no different. They simply can't create fast enough; commissions are built up and built up and the waiting lists can be long.

Bless their little hearts that they haven't decided to get some Chinese shop to start cranking these out. On the flipside, they could have also decided to do just that - make a more massed produced version at a lower price point - yet still offer their handmade 'Signature' versions. It's a win win, AND they've possibly put a dent into the sale of all those knockoffs that will surely be released soon.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 pm

b0unce wrote:
beats me wrote:It's real easy for people who already have a monome to try to justify whatever business practices they have with potential future customers, but a 9 month waiting list with a random price increase for whatever reason is bullshit. These things aren't made out of enriched uranium. They could have asked for a deposit from anybody on the waiting list to help them buy parts but no because A. they would actually be obligated to get them made in a reasonable amount of time and B. they know if you can't handle the wait or the price increase then somebody else is perfectly willing to buy them so your patience doesn't amount to shit. They should just post on their site "we're a small group of people who have no interest in expanding to reach the demand".

dont be such a fucking insolent cretin.

random price increase ? RANDOM ? ...are you serious ?
Newsflash: U.S. Dollar has plummeted in value. This can increase some costs, fucking OBVIOUSLY. The worst part is, you're the kind of douche who has actually heard of other companies increasing prices yet you still have the audacity to suggest the monome increase is RANDOM.

They are two people who have made their project completely open, go ahead and make one out of arduino if you want one, faggot. You're talking like they're obligated to furnish the world with monomes. Yet all the info is provided for you to make your own.

You've been bitter about monome since you were beaten in that 2minute rush. Get over it. You weren't even that pushed about it in the first place :roll: :lol:

Random Price Increase. Translation: Higher Supplier Costs Most Likely The Result of Higher Fuel Costs And NOT As A Result Of A Weak Dollar You Fucking Retard.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:39 pm

I said : U.S. Dollar has plummeted in value. This can increase some costs, fucking OBVIOUSLY.

This statement is irrefutably true.

Suck it.

Oh, and by the way, the dollar did indeed plummet from jan '08 to the point of the announced price increase. Badly so. Plus the aforementioned oil price increase. Ya, beatsme is obviously living under a very comfortable rock with net access.
spreader of butter