I don't get the Evolver

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Re: I don't get the Evolver

Post by Poster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:36 am

beats me wrote:What am I missing? and any audio or video links would be helpful (which I will check after work)
some of my Evolver recordings..
straight out the box, no processing..

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h3irlc

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:29 am

:lol: :lol:

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:35 am

^ what's so funny? its just a little demo..

edit: got it.. goon! :wink:

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:43 am

nebulae wrote:I'm with you beats, the Dave Smith stuff is way WAY overhyped IMHO
I can see it not being right for the type of music you do, but... wow, good thing you're H about your O.
Image Image

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 pm

How does it compare to the Korg R3? And try to be a little more specific than "2 totally difference machines" which they may not be.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:14 pm

beats me wrote:How does it compare to the Korg R3? And try to be a little more specific than "2 totally difference machines" which they may not be.
I'll let my protégé do the talking.. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kdfH-KriWo

though where protégé mentions analog, protégé means digital..

2 totally difference machines.. which they are..

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I wouldn't say all of Dave Smith Instruments is overhyped.

I'd say the Evolver desktop is.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:44 pm

thelike5 wrote:I wouldn't say all of Dave Smith Instruments is overhyped.

I'd say the Evolver desktop is.
please elaborate..

but only if you ever actually touched one..

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:19 pm

The desktop Evolver is NOT overhyped. I suspect that people making that claim haven't actually sat down with one in a comfortable setting and really explored the modulation options, tuned delay lines, individually tunable oscillators, the 4 very flexible sequencers, the input triggering, creating their own waveforms, etc. I can't really blame them, though, seeing as how playing with one in a store is not at all the setting where you can get to know the machine. I like using mine on the couch with beer. Sometimes I'll actually pour some beer on the Evolver to get it in the mood to be touched. I find it is more responsive that way.

I know I mentioned it before, but I'll say it again: MODULATION. I see people on this forum and others masturbating over their Little Phattys and other synths that have shit for modulation options and sound like every other overrated piece of gear out there. I've gotten to the point where I won't even consider a synth unless it has something beyond the generic LFO + two hardwired envelopes setup.

The Evolver offers something different, and the desktop version does it in a tiny footprint. The editing matrix is, IMO, a really fun way to interact with sound, but you need to give it the time it deserves. And yes, the presets are mostly crap.

The Evolver is absolutely my favorite synth in the world. :D However, I didn't really understand it or like it for a while after I bought it because I hadn't spent enough time getting to know its awesome quirks. After that breaking-in period, though, it's right up there with my Machinedrum on a very short list of stuff I'll NEVER sell.

- Nick

roby

Post by roby » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:19 pm

i would love to get one. my only concern is that people have mentioned the envelopes are not fast enough for punchy bass sounds???? can someone rebuke that?

JJarvis

Post by JJarvis » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:35 pm

[/quote]The Evolver is absolutely my favorite synth in the world. However, I didn't really understand it or like it for a while after I bought it because I hadn't spent enough time getting to know its awesome quirks. After that breaking-in period, though, it's right up there with my Machinedrum on a very short list of stuff I'll NEVER sell.

Yea the evolver is the synth that just keeps on giving. I was originally attracted to it's two analog oscillators and deep modulation matrix. I'll admit that at first I had a hard time incorporating it into my work. The presets are really over effected and are only designed to get people to purchase one. Once I deleted all the patches and made my own, I've been in tweak heaven. Just a week ago I discovered that you can step input sequences by holding down the sequencer button until it flashes. This was great because I had a hard time previously composing sequences with the four tone knobs. That's kind of a strange and wonderful thing about the sequencer. 4 steps = 1 whole step. Obviously step inputing from a midi keyboard is much easier!

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:20 pm

I just got a desktop model, for this price and considering what synth you get, you cannot pass this deal.... personally I am finished with vst synths.

Do not forget that the evolver can be controlled by a controller midi keyboard, all sliders mapped to appropriate CC numbers, I even start/stop the sequencer remotely...

It is a nice synth, certainly up to classics like the Korg MS-20 and some more. Noisy, harsh, analoguesque, very versatile! But overall I prefer the tone of the Prophet08 for exemple, and as for oldies I prefer the less versatile but softer Roland sh series tones but those do not come in brand new versions...

...any alternatives for the evolver destop anyway????? any other good analog mono synths in that price range???? ..you would have to look at the cheaper MFB synths, wittch are not as versatile or good sounding....

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:37 pm

WaveRider wrote:...any alternatives for the evolver destop anyway????? any other good analog mono synths in that price range???? ..you would have to look at the cheaper MFB synths, wittch are not as versatile or good sounding....
I think the Blofeld would be the closest thing to the desktop Evolver. I am seriously considering checking one out on a 30 day return with Guitar Center.

- Nick

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:45 pm

WaveRider wrote:certainly up to classics like the Korg MS-20 and some more.
aaiiy.. dangerous statement.. not sure about that.. MS20 pukes way more and deeper dirt..

anyway.. Evo sure knows its pukes as well.. different I think..

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Poster wrote:
WaveRider wrote:certainly up to classics like the Korg MS-20 and some more.
aaiiy.. dangerous statement.. not sure about that.. MS20 pukes way more and deeper dirt..

anyway.. Evo sure knows its pukes as well.. different I think..
I worked for years with MS-10/20, agree the ms20 sounds fatter but the evolver has sequencer and delay and other fx, so to me they are different beasts but to me an evolver is certainly as useful as an ms-20....