MYSPACE SUCKS! what's the best alternative for musicians?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tadx

Post by tadx » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:21 am

there's a good article in Guardian about Facebook, it's founder and organisations behind. Some of you may find it interesting.. :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... 4/facebook

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:37 pm

tadx wrote:there's a good article in Guardian about Facebook, it's founder and organisations behind. Some of you may find it interesting.. :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... 4/facebook

Lame fucking article. So a CIA backed venture capitalist firm is supporting Facebook. Who gives a shit? What, that's a revelation? As if all internet crap isn't already heavily monitored? Fuck me. Ooooooo, they're watching us!!??

Zzzzzz.

I don't use Facebook, and I hate MySpace. Still, the articles that are written about how they are destroying society and 'real' communication and blah blah blah are so fucking assinine.

I'm willing to bet that while the writer rants and rants about lack of human contact as a result of using Facebook, he's probably never said a fucking word to the guy who lives in the flat next to him.

tadx

Post by tadx » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:43 pm

sorry I dissapointed you, mate... I find stories like that highly exciting and entertaining

:lol:

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:04 pm

tadx wrote:sorry I dissapointed you, mate... I find stories like that highly exciting and entertaining

:lol:

It was both exciting and entertaining! :P

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:19 pm

Hi,

You could try Soundclick.

I have a free page on there

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=851953

Limited to 128 bit rate and 3 songs but you can pay a small amount for the full music site which gives you unlimited songs and 320 bitrate mp3

Much more music oriented :)
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

markoos

Post by markoos » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:46 pm

You could take a look at: http://www.etopiamusic.com/ - a joint venture between Paul Young (UK has-been singer) and Audiojelly...

Daim

Post by Daim » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:50 pm

krachtwerk wrote:i like myspace, i think it's a good thing it exists.. it's the future..
no

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:31 pm

i've been digging reverbnation

(link in sig)

opuswerk

Post by opuswerk » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:36 pm

the best ou there is definitely soundcloud.com nothing's like it and nothing beats it yet....
Forthcoming:
[AR02] 1883 EP (wax)
[CSF027] Mamacass EP (wax)

Opusspace
Opuscloud

noiselevel

Post by noiselevel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 am

soundcloud.com

maybe.

condra

Post by condra » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:45 pm

Once you use last.fm or facebook, myspace looks and feels really dated.

Personally, I think myspaces days in the top spot are numbered.
I hope so too. Myspace sucks. It's ugly and sluggish and full of spam and ads.

rewind

Post by rewind » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:02 pm

Martyn wrote:+1 for Virb, no limits on what you can upload, easily cusomizable too.
I like Virb, but unless they've changed it recently, there is a 30 song upload limit. Still, that's pretty generous.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:38 pm

Myspace can be tolerable, there's just a few things you have to be aware of:

The site is paid for by ads, not users, so the ads will always be there, just use adblocker.

They don't give a shit about anyone who's not paying them, so don't ask them for help, or you'll get a form email that has nothing to do with your problem because they want to spend as little time possible helping anyone who doesn't pay them.

DON'T GO INTO THE FORUMS EXPECTING ANYTHING GOOD TO HAPPEN - repeat, stay the fuck out of the forums, full of douchebags and trolls.

Don't post anything personal on your myspace page.

Find a site that allows you to post music and lets you post their player elsewhere, and use that player instead of the myspace player - the myspace player is bullshit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, myspace is what's is still popular, at least for the moment, which is why people go there...popularity rarely has anything to do with intelligence, so just bite the bullet and keep a myspace page while expecting very little from it, but if you care about promotion, it's something you'll just have to deal with.

last.fm, soundcloud.com, reverbnation have all gotten good reviews, as well as ilike on facebook - if you really want to have the bases covered, you should setup a profile on all of those sites, as well as try and get on itunes and beatport (I'm not sure what selling on itunes and beatport entails, but if you sell enough tracks, I' don't think it will be a problem to get on either).

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Gigs, a fan base & direct, face to face marketing (yes, going out of the house).
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.

jah4life

Post by jah4life » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 pm

seems like this thread is all the more relevant now that myspace put up their shitty, buggy new player. for all of us who are fed up with the 'space and hope it will soon fall from grace, let's keep this alive. :)