TL Audio Fat Track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gumpbert

TL Audio Fat Track

Post by gumpbert » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 pm

Any thoughts on this thing?

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/produc ... rack.shtml

Originally I was looking for some nice mic preamps, but then I noticed this Fat Track thingy and realized that not only does it have two preamps, it can also do summing and add some analogue tube warmth to my otherwise 100% software based music. Question is, how do the preamps do in comparison with for example Avalon 737? I'm under the impression that TL Audio's products are the good stuff, but I have no experience with their products. Is the Fat Track worth the money?
Mac, Live, Logic, Cubase, Reason, Renoise and a bunch of VSTs

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:07 pm

looks expensive, how much is it?

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:14 pm

Grappadura wrote:looks expensive, how much is it?
It's not that bad actually, about 1700 Euro I think.

SWAN808

Post by SWAN808 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:53 pm

lots of skepticism on whether analogue summing makes any real difference. Many believe your money is better spent on some nice pre-amps....a good idea to run things OTB. Thats what Im looking to get...
Mixing on a desk with levels, eqs and bus compressors yes - but running down 4 channels with no gain change......very very little real change apparently....

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:02 am

SWAN808 wrote:lots of skepticism on whether analogue summing makes any real difference. Many believe your money is better spent on some nice pre-amps....a good idea to run things OTB. Thats what Im looking to get...
Mixing on a desk with levels, eqs and bus compressors yes - but running down 4 channels with no gain change......very very little real change apparently....
It might very well be so that summing through this thing doesn't add much. The way I see it is that it also has two preamps, and if I were to buy two nice preamps they would together cost more than this unit, especially nice tube amps. So the summing part is a very nice bonus if the preamps are any good. The big question is then how good the preamps are compared to other high end preamps.

Fat Track got a fairly good review in a swedish music magazine not too long ago. The only thing they weren't too happy about was the monitor section (lack of talk back etc). They did testify that it certainly colours the sound while recording through it, and that it does so in a very pleasant way. Haven't seen it in any music store yet though, so there hasn't been much opportunity to listen to it. Unfortunately it is an odd product, so I doubt many shops will get themselves a demo unit :?

sweetjesus

Re: TL Audio Fat Track

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:13 am

gumpbert wrote:Any thoughts on this thing?

http://www.tlaudio.co.uk/docs_07/produc ... rack.shtml

Originally I was looking for some nice mic preamps, but then I noticed this Fat Track thingy and realized that not only does it have two preamps, it can also do summing and add some analogue tube warmth to my otherwise 100% software based music. Question is, how do the preamps do in comparison with for example Avalon 737? I'm under the impression that TL Audio's products are the good stuff, but I have no experience with their products. Is the Fat Track worth the money?
ive not use much from TL but i can testify Avalon stuff = pure aural creaminess