Use of built in audio in pBook as well as ASIO - utilizing h

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
SongCarver

Use of built in audio in pBook as well as ASIO - utilizing high end audio of OS X

Post by SongCarver » Sun Feb 17, 2002 10:09 pm

Hello there,

Can Live under OS X send audio to the built in headphone socket as well as an audio device (eg 828 or us428) - that is, different audio channels for each?

So that you could use the headphone out for monitoring loops before adding to the current mix via ASIO.

Is this possible?

chromaphobic

seconded!

Post by chromaphobic » Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:15 pm

i don't think this is possible at the moment, and i was just going to suggest that very feature!

i aim to use live in a live setting with an iBook and 828 interface. right now i'd have only channels 1-6 available for audio with 7 & 8 eaten up for prelistening. it would be so much better to route the prelisten out of the iBook's crummy audio out (since on-one except me will hear it anyway!) and be able to use those last two channels for something that people will actually hear!

Ableton admin

built-in audio

Post by Ableton admin » Thu Mar 14, 2002 12:32 pm

hi,
i don't think there is a programm that can handle two audio interfaces at once. am i wrong?

sven
ableton ag

SongCarver

OS X

Post by SongCarver » Fri Mar 15, 2002 8:17 am

in mac os X, l the documentation provided seems to imply that the reverse is true. that is that multiple programs can use the one device..

"the Core Audio HAL also allows multiple applications to share the same device, a feature new to Mac OS X. This means that you could assign channels one through six of a eight channel output device to a multi-track program, such as Logic, while leaving a virtual instrument like Reason with channels seven and eight."

from
http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/audio.html

So, I figure (maybe incorectly) that the reverse is true, ie. that 1 program can use the reverse

FrankH

Post by FrankH » Fri Mar 15, 2002 4:48 pm

> hi,
> i don't think there is a programm that can handle two audio interfaces at once. am i wrong?
>
> sven
> ableton ag

Logic Audio Does.

The discussion is not about, is this a valide feature. Yes, it would be great to have this feature, but if you are not willing (nicht bereit) to do so, i think you are not taking your customers very serious.

f

thegreatsoprendo

multiple outs

Post by thegreatsoprendo » Mon Mar 18, 2002 10:19 pm

I think this would be a great idea, and since it works in logic it\'s surely possible to implement it. live is designed to be used on stage, so it would make sense to be able to use the pretty basic output on every laptop (powerbooks first, please!) to monitor with.

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:31 pm

this would be perfect!

Gerhard

Post by Gerhard » Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:55 pm

Let me give you a bit of background on why it is difficult to use more than one audio device at a time [even though it's obviously desirable]. Live's audio engine is driven by a clock which is provided by the chosen audio device. The device's clock calls on Live whenever it needs a new bunch of samples to send to the device's outputs.

If Live wanted to send audio to more than one audio device, its audio engine would have to get along with being driven by more than one clock. Essentially, the audio engine would have to split itself in parts. That's not impossible, but it's a considerable effort.

Gerhard
ableton

SongCarver

thankyou

Post by SongCarver » Tue Apr 16, 2002 12:37 am

Thanks for the reply Gerhard,

It is unfortunate the the problem seems too challenging, when it could be sooo useful.

While you're there, could you please ell us mac users a little about the new audio engine in OS X ? I thought that it made these sorts of problems much easier to overcome.

That is, the ability to route multiple streams of audio to different audio devices.

I look forward to your reply.

-Keith