Timing when to buy Macbook Pro Refurbs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tohtruck

Timing when to buy Macbook Pro Refurbs

Post by Tohtruck » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:44 am

I've been holding off on buying a Macbook Pro for quite some time now.

My plan has been to buy a refurb laptop and I've been anticipating Apple's new releases based on the Mac Rumors buying guide and the rumors about their September event which is supposed to reveal the updates for the Fall.

I don't have any interest in buying a brand new Macbook Pro nor do I think I'll be interested in dropping a big wad of cash on whatever they put out in the fall unless they are offering a stronger computer at a cheaper price.

THe refurb page is starting to periodically show pretty good deals. Some of the laptop options seem to disappear at varying times (I'm guessing this is based on availability).

I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and buy my laptop now or if I should wait it out for September?

Does anyone know if the new releases will cause the refurbs to drop further in price? Or are the listed prices for the refurbs the set prices?

Will the refurbs be completely liquidated or vanished once Apple starts selling the new Macbooks?

Basically I want to know if I have anything to gain by waiting it out.

I'm not in an extreme rush to buy ASAP. I'm finding right now in a number of the internsips I am involved with that having a laptop would be beneficial and add convenience to the work. Also there are many moments of downtime at one of my intern sites where I could probably be productive or killing time with my own work and having my own computer around would obviously be helpful.

three

Post by three » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:08 am

These things are always pretty arbitrary, you never know when Apple will want to release new computers. If you *want* one of the new ones, wait for it. Most likely there will be new notebooks announced in January at the very latest.

If you want a current Mac, then I wouldn't bother waiting. You might save €100 by waiting, but it's probably also worth €100 to have your computer now rather than in 6 months.

Just my opinion,

Chris

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:00 pm

^^ Thanks for the input.

This will be my first Apple computer since my first computer ever! Which was an Apple Macintosh Classic when I was in elementary school.

So I'm kind of unfamiliar with how Apple tends to liquidate things and price things as new products come out.

I just wanted to know from experienced buyers if Apple has a tendency to make the refurbs even cheaper when new computers come out or if the prices listed for the refurbs are the set prices and won't ever change.

three

Post by three » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:32 pm

The prices on refurbs are fairly stable. They might drop a hundred bucks, but not several hundred.

tricil

Post by tricil » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:53 pm

buy now,,,, look at these specs and the price: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... =FB513LL/A

the same machine new (since it is a current iteration with multitouch trackpad) would cost $500 more.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Im on the same boat... how many time do you think to appear next generation refurbs from the release date?
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:48 am

deleted