How to route Drumrack subtracks to group tracks ?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
discopimp

How to route Drumrack subtracks to group tracks ?

Post by discopimp » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:03 pm

i have several drumracks running and would like to group all kicks, snares, Hats etc into subgroups for mixing ... i can't seem to find a way to do this ...

discopimp

Post by discopimp » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:48 am

bump :wink:

jbodango

Post by jbodango » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:13 am

bump bump right here pep pep 8)

forge

Post by forge » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:17 am

just select the chains and right click>group to drum rack

discopimp

Post by discopimp » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:19 am

hey thx .. but this is not what i'm looking for ... i don't want to group tracks within a single drum rack.

i have several audio tracks and 6 drum racks ... what i want to do is group all hi-Hats into one subgroup for mixing, all kicks to another group, toms to another group etc ... so i want to route channels from different drumracks and other channels ... just like you would assign mix-groups / subgroups on a normal mixer for example

since the 'Audio To' is greyed out and there are no sends on the tracks within a drumrack chain i can't figure out how to do this ..

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:56 am

discopimp wrote:hey thx .. but this is not what i'm looking for ... i don't want to group tracks within a single drum rack.

i have several audio tracks and 6 drum racks ... what i want to do is group all hi-Hats into one subgroup for mixing, all kicks to another group, toms to another group etc ... so i want to route channels from different drumracks and other channels ... just like you would assign mix-groups / subgroups on a normal mixer for example

since the 'Audio To' is greyed out and there are no sends on the tracks within a drumrack chain i can't figure out how to do this ..
Live doesn't have real group tracks ...yet :?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:38 pm

it's possible but it will be a pain

you could create as many top-level returns as you need for group tracks

and create sends inside the drum racks to match.

route the DR sends out to the main returns.

you will need to route everything out and mute the original tracks, unfortunately.

also I imagine you could create a track to use as a group track, put a rack in it with chains containing compressors, and use the sidechain inputs to jack the signals from the other racks

??

forge

Post by forge » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:46 pm

longjohns wrote:it's possible but it will be a pain

you could create as many top-level returns as you need for group tracks

and create sends inside the drum racks to match.

route the DR sends out to the main returns.

you will need to route everything out and mute the original tracks, unfortunately.

also I imagine you could create a track to use as a group track, put a rack in it with chains containing compressors, and use the sidechain inputs to jack the signals from the other racks

??
there is a limit of 6 returns in drum racks

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:32 am

thank god. would hate to set this up with more than 6 groups!

:wink:

(thanks, did not know that!)

discopimp

Post by discopimp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 am

thx guys, but my initial question is still unanswered :

HOW ???? :?:

there are no sends available on the drum rack channels and the 'Audio To' menu doesn't exist on those kind of tracks ....

@longjohns:
create sends inside the drum racks to match. route the DR sends out to the main returns. ----> how do i do that ????

forge

Post by forge » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:30 am

discopimp wrote:thx guys, but my initial question is still unanswered :

HOW ???? :?:

there are no sends available on the drum rack channels and the 'Audio To' menu doesn't exist on those kind of tracks ....

@longjohns:
create sends inside the drum racks to match. route the DR sends out to the main returns. ----> how do i do that ????
are you seeing the returns in drum racks? you need the I/O button enabled then audio to is not disabled for returns