Amazing movies you'd like to recommend to everyone here

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:28 pm

Pitch Black wrote:Children Of Men

The Lives of Others

"Triumphs of the human spirit" both of them.

(Yeah, I cry in movies, sometimes)

Children of Men is an interesting example where the movie is 10x better than the book. The novel is unfuckingreadable. Took me ages to finish, and is denser than a 50 year old fruit cake. If any anyone got through it in one piece, and enjoyed it, my hat's off to you. You're a better Man than I.

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:31 pm

Couple of good ones i've seen recently are Felon and The Mist. Good scifi horror the mist, even has cthulu in it :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

gumpbert

Post by gumpbert » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:44 pm

The Mission

Fantastic movie with music to die for, and the story is just brilliant.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091530/
Mac, Live, Logic, Cubase, Reason, Renoise and a bunch of VSTs

lola

Post by lola » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:24 am

The usual suspects.
Still love its plot.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:31 am

musicmachine wrote:Couple of good ones i've seen recently are Felon and The Mist. Good scifi horror the mist, even has cthulu in it :wink:

lol.

That's a good idea for another thread: Movies that are long overdue.

The fact that Lovecraft has never been properly adapted - and no film has yet been created surrounding the Cthulu Mythos - is fucking criminal.

I went back and started to reRead Lovecraft a few months ago. My God. All things sciFi stem from that man right there.

At The Mountains of Madness--->Who Goes There--->The Thing From Another World-->The Thing

Word has it that Guillermo Del Toro has penned a script for Mountains. Can you imagine the guy that brought us Pan's Labyrinth doing Lovecraft. It's a marriage made in movie fucking heaven.

Oh, speaking of Lovecraft: ReAnimator is another priceless jem. The short story is actually much darker/creepier, but the movie is a hoot.

My favorite genre is Zombie films. My go to zombie pick is the original Day of the Dead. Most Romero fans love Dawn the best, but for me there's nothing that beats the total seriousness and claustrophobia of Day. It's got a bleakness to it that I love in my apocalyptic tales.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:38 am

Machinesworking wrote:
m:o wrote:also a damn good movie:

Cashback
Cool, because every time I'm at the video store I want to rent that movie because of the girl. Now I have a legit excuse. :twisted:
possibly the lamest piece of shit ever shat out, figures that saps on here would think it worthy of mention

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 am

Clockwork Orange
Blue Velvet
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:55 am

TITBAG wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
m:o wrote:also a damn good movie:

Cashback
Cool, because every time I'm at the video store I want to rent that movie because of the girl. Now I have a legit excuse. :twisted:
possibly the lamest piece of shit ever shat out, figures that saps on here would think it worthy of mention
ThE maIN QUESTION is Whether or not the lady on the box shows her tits for more than 2 seconds in the movie or not, and whether her ass is also on display.
I'm joking around, but yeah, any movie that so blatantly uses sex to sell it should only be watched for the sex. Only exception is Caligula.

Post by 4.33 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:55 am

just saw "Alfie"
every man should see that
brilliant

S127

Post by S127 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:24 am

Snatch is the best out there!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:06 am

landrvr1 wrote:The fact that Lovecraft has never been properly adapted - and no film has yet been created surrounding the Cthulu Mythos - is fucking criminal....
John Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness is a pretty good homage to Lovecraft. Really fun too.

landrvr1 wrote:Word has it that Guillermo Del Toro has penned a script for Mountains. Can you imagine the guy that brought us Pan's Labyrinth doing Lovecraft. It's a marriage made in movie fucking heaven....
Excellent news. It is an amazing story.

landrvr1 wrote:My go to zombie pick is the original Day of the Dead. Most Romero fans love Dawn the best, but for me there's nothing that beats the total seriousness and claustrophobia of Day. It's got a bleakness to it that I love in my apocalyptic tales....

I agree completely! Dawn is too cutesy-wootsy. The original Day of The Dead is so relentlessly grim, you have to take a shower sfter watching it!

The bleaker, the grimmer, the darker... the better.

spkey

Post by spkey » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:19 am

oblique strategies wrote:Valerie & Her Week Of Wonders - 1970 Jaromil Jires, Czechoslovakia
+1

Also reccomend movies made by Jan Svankmajer and Alejandro Jodorowsky such as Faust, Alice, Santa Sagre and El Topo :)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:24 am

spkey wrote:
oblique strategies wrote:Valerie & Her Week Of Wonders - 1970 Jaromil Jires, Czechoslovakia
+1

Also reccomend movies made by Jan Svankmajer and Alejandro Jodorowsky such as Faust, Alice, Santa Sagre and El Topo :)
Santa Sangre !!!!!

:P :P :P

And what great music Valerie & Her Week Of Wonders has. Just perfect.

Action Jackson

Post by Action Jackson » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Here are a couple of movies I'd like to recommend as well:

Baise Moi! (Fuck me!) - Two French chicks go on a killing spree - includes both sex and violence - AWESOME! Written and directed by women, which makes it even more interesting.

La Haine (Hate) by Mathieu Kassovitz. Young french urban angst. In black and white. A classic!

The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things by Asia Argento. A very disturbing true story about a kid who whose childhood's far from ideal. Includes a cameo by Marilyn Manson.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:12 pm

oblique strategies wrote:I agree completely! Dawn is too cutesy-wootsy. The original Day of The Dead is so relentlessly grim, you have to take a shower sfter watching it!

Indeed, lol. For that reason I'm probably the only guy around that loves Fincher's Alien 3. It's just got to be one of the bleakest sci-Fi movies ever. From the moment it starts (Newt is dead!) to the very end there's not one good thing that happens. It's one downer moment after another. I can appreciate that kind of relentlessness. It's not compromising.

Another fantastic bit of SciFi/horror B movie fare is The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. I'm also a huge Richard Matheson fan, and this little Italian production does justice to I Am Legend. I'd not seen this flick until about 5 years ago when it was finally released on budget DVD. Didn't know what to expect, but was shocked at how great it was - very bleak, very creepy. It's B movie all the way, but without the corny dialog and cheese. Much better than that Will Smith debacle - and the Omega Man.