BCR Performer (v.0.4)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:28 pm

robleighton22 wrote:sounds good. im simple so bear with me on this one. so rather than browsing through the preset buttons. u twist a dedicated rotary knob to change presets - i take it this prevents loss of visual feedback that u sometimes get switching presets?

so does it work as follows. i hav the sysex file loaded on preset one, the top right rotarty scrolls through 16 potential maps that i will then customally make myself?

i.e map 1 = mixer controls
map 2 = track 1 plugins
map 3 = track 2 plugins, etc, etc....

all this without pressing the preset button?

and furthermore, the display does look great....once u hav ur maps setup, i assume this will make it pretty easy to visually see what you have mapped.

hav i got it? 8O
Yes, thats it to a tee :)

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:56 pm

woo hoo. will test it tonight (i had downloaded 0.1alpha before our internet at home went down).

quick question...sorry to b a pain. im a bcr newbie and hav had issues mapping things correctly. does the sysex file u supply allow me to straight away map things in ableton without me having to set things up to b mappable in something like bc manager. i know i can modify things to b more specific (e.g toggle on/off for buttons, etc) in bc manager, but its taking me ages to get my head around it.

thanks

will def try ur app.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:11 pm

robleighton22 wrote:woo hoo. will test it tonight (i had downloaded 0.1alpha before our internet at home went down).

quick question...sorry to b a pain. im a bcr newbie and hav had issues mapping things correctly. does the sysex file u supply allow me to straight away map things in ableton without me having to set things up to b mappable in something like bc manager. i know i can modify things to b more specific (e.g toggle on/off for buttons, etc) in bc manager, but its taking me ages to get my head around it.

thanks

will def try ur app.
The sysex file has the buttons as toggles. I just need to add the CC's for the 3 other encoder groups and make those work in the application. Then the BCR template will be done.

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
irrelevance wrote:This looks like a great app! Doesn't work on my win xp pc though. Just crashes the runtine when I try and run the .mxf.
Is there a setting in the runtime I can adjust?

Win xp home service pack 2
max runtime 5.0.4
Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz
2GB ram
Give v.0.2 a go please.

Damn. Still not working :( Thanks for the update though. Not sure if this is an issue with this app though. Running a max example patch and disabling audio causes windows to crash completely. So MAX doesn't seem to be stable on my system
Has anyone got this/MAX running on xp?

irrelevance

Post by irrelevance » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:39 pm

:D I got it to work finally! :D

Updated my graphics card drivers and also installed the latest version of quicktime. The BCR app now loads so I will try it tonight. 8)

divi

Post by divi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:25 pm

awesome. and big tanx for giving us the max patch. i didn't get around to patch my BCR into my max apps and this will sure make it a lot easier.

nickb808

Post by nickb808 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:20 pm

i'm running this mostly successfully on winXP sp3. this is an amazing piece of sysex and max. i hadn't touched the bcr in a few months and now its very useful again.

i am having two issues. the labels always end up garbled randomly with repeating characters like "zerezrzer" and "sdgsdgsdg" "dfgdg". the label will hold for a few preset changes then turn into this language. some have started out that way when originally empty. however, the knob positions always seem to hold perfectly.

the second issue is that the 'save' and 'save as...' dialogs in the file menu are grayed out which means i can't save any of the label sets, etc. i get this error in the runtime message window "patcher file bcrtest.maxpat missing patcher!" which led to me to http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.p ... g&th=33578 (message #141330)

also, the autorefresh mode is laggy for me and eventually becomes unresponsive.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:28 pm

nickb808 wrote:i'm running this mostly successfully on winXP sp3. this is an amazing piece of sysex and max. i hadn't touched the bcr in a few months and now its very useful again.

i am having two issues. the labels always end up garbled randomly with repeating characters like "zerezrzer" and "sdgsdgsdg" "dfgdg". the label will hold for a few preset changes then turn into this language. some have started out that way when originally empty. however, the knob positions always seem to hold perfectly.

the second issue is that the 'save' and 'save as...' dialogs in the file menu are grayed out which means i can't save any of the label sets, etc. i get this error in the runtime message window "patcher file bcrtest.maxpat missing patcher!" which led to me to http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.p ... g&th=33578 (message #141330)

also, the autorefresh mode is laggy for me and eventually becomes unresponsive.
Hey Nick,

The file menu will probably never work. I'm not that good yet (ie. I need to RTFM)
But I think you'll find the new version much more useful. I think I fixed the garbled messages issue and storing labels happens automatically now.
If you only use 1 preset, then you wont need to store anything but your preferences. And that only needs to happen once too.

Auto-refresh is still buggy. But I know what is wrong. At the moment it does exactly the same thing as when you select a preset. It sends about 64 messages to the controller. It needs to change so that only parameters that are changed are updated. That would make auto-refresh mode work. If it cant be fixed it'll just get removed. I don't really need it and its an experimental feature at best.

nickb808

Post by nickb808 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm

awesome! this looks great i can't wait to get home and try it out. much like you, i also don't see myself using the auto-refresh.

a friend of mine w/ way more max knowledge than i says that the Save and Save As dialogs are grayed out in the max runtime no matter what. i'll let you know if the bug persists when loading the preset labels.

thanks again this is insanely useful.

-nick

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:41 pm

Sexy. Makes me want a BCR and an upgrade to MAX 5. Meanwhile, I do have Max 4 and a BCF. I need to take a look at this asap.

For the last couple of years I have stopped using midi controllers and just manipulated live through jitter, but this sort of driver building technology looks really promising.

Very inspiring Bjorn. Thank you more than ever.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:13 pm

LOFA wrote:Sexy. Makes me want a BCR and an upgrade to MAX 5. Meanwhile, I do have Max 4 and a BCF. I need to take a look at this asap.

For the last couple of years I have stopped using midi controllers and just manipulated live through jitter, but this sort of driver building technology looks really promising.

Very inspiring Bjorn. Thank you more than ever.
The original idea was just to make something that collects various snapshots.
For example, 10 different stored values for all the parameters on ABL2. 10 different acid sounds, ready at the flick of a button.
While I was working that out, I stumbled on the way to program all the values into a jitter matrix. Which, as it turned out, is a piece of cake.

Having figured that out, I realized I could use this for a different project I never undertook because I needed like 16 x 128 objects (at least) to realize this before I learned jitter.

So here we are with the BCR performer, which is in essence almost done.
The only things it needs is bugfixes (1 known bug) and a few more features like:

- Some way to allow global controls. knobs that never change regardless of the preset.

- Visual indications of the buttons. This one is easy, I'll just make the textbox border turn red when its supposed to be on.

- In the future (when Pluggo 4 arrives), I may add an older feature I already worked out: Using the top encoders as volume meters. But that'll be available as a separate app and plugin too. Incidentally, with pluggo 4 I can turn this BCR Performer app into a plugin.

Max and Jitter... I'm still willing to claim that I know didly about programing applications. But its getting really easy these days..
I'm so close to a generative tax form calculator with OSC output, I can smell it...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:28 pm

hoffman2k wrote:The original idea was just to make something that collects various snapshots.
For example, 10 different stored values for all the parameters on ABL2. 10 different acid sounds, ready at the flick of a button.
While I was working that out, I stumbled on the way to program all the values into a jitter matrix. Which, as it turned out, is a piece of cake.

Having figured that out, I realized I could use this for a different project I never undertook because I needed like 16 x 128 objects (at least) to realize this before I learned jitter...
Very interesting. Makes sense. I am interested in looking more carefully at what you made, as I have not come across any methods for creating new drivers yet. As I am unsatistfied with all of my midi controllers this seems like a very useful path to go down. I am excited to get home and take a look at this.

nickb808

Post by nickb808 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:46 pm

this is working perfectly for me now. thanks! great update.

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 am

nickb808 wrote:this is working perfectly for me now. thanks! great update.
im having issues setting this up.

in the midi setup how should things be routed. i have midi yoke input/outputs and bcr2000 input/outputs. at the moment i hav:

midi to live remote input = midi yoke input 1
midi to bcr = bcr2000

midi from lives remout output = midi yoke output 1
midi from bcr = bcr2000

the 8th encoder does show the preset number change on the bcr as well as tge 'next' preset button bcr performer 0.3. after that im stuck.

no buttons map - so do i hav to program this within the bcr (i.e make each controller a certain cc parameter no...i thought the preset might hav already had this setup).

i can def see how this would be wkd. any ideas how to help. thanks. as i said really like it so far.

edit:

when i check the bcr it seems this preset has already defined the rotaries and buttons (as hoffman2k mentioned...the buttons are set at toggle on), so why can i not map on ableton. must b something simple im missing.

thanks

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 am

robleighton22 wrote:
nickb808 wrote:this is working perfectly for me now. thanks! great update.
im having issues setting this up.

in the midi setup how should things be routed. i have midi yoke input/outputs and bcr2000 input/outputs. at the moment i hav:

midi to live remote input = midi yoke input 1
midi to bcr = bcr2000

midi from lives remout output = midi yoke output 1
midi from bcr = bcr2000

the 8th encoder does show the preset number change on the bcr as well as tge 'next' preset button bcr performer 0.3. after that im stuck.

no buttons map - so do i hav to program this within the bcr (i.e make each controller a certain cc parameter no...i thought the preset might hav already had this setup).

i can def see how this would be wkd. any ideas how to help. thanks. as i said really like it so far.
How did you set it up in Live? You need to enable the "Remote" Input and output for MIDI yoke. Disable the BCR if its enabled.

Don't forget to push down on the 8th encoder to choose a preset.