ever been banned from using ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:15 pm

What an arse, if I was anywhere near I'd come along and show some support.

You know.. you could play your set on CDJs and suck it up, wait for the dude to need a piss, knock him out and nick his silly hat and then play his set as well!

No one would no but the abes forum ;)

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:49 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
thelike5 wrote:
lola wrote:If he plays house....tell him that he can't cuz jesse saunders owns this style.
Yeah, this guy sounds like a total dick. I've heard a lot of strange requests from management types though... oftentimes the artist has no idea. This case is odd though because a manager wouldn't make that type of a demand on his own. I'm sure deadmau5 told him to do this because let's face it, nobody looks cool with CDJ's...
They look cooler than I guy staring at a laptop though, don't they?

STRATEGY
No, they don't actually...

Usually "the guy staring at his laptop" is using a fucking sequencing program such as Live ding-dong. Also, with laptop based live pa's or for that matter dj gigs, usually said artist is using a midi controller of sorts; be it a UC-33 or Oxygen 8 or something.

So, no, CDJ's don't look cooler than "staring at the laptop"

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:50 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:couldn't you just change the color scheme of ableton to that black one thats floating around and just say it's a different program?
+1

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:52 pm

maximum01 wrote:wow....looks like ive started something here. i totally appreciate everyone's support but it wasn't my intention to start a mud slinging fest.

guys, let me post back when my m8 gets a response from the agent today, asking them to compromise. if they are insistent i can't use ableton i think i will gracefully bow out of the gig, not because i cant use cdj's but because the whole thing smells.

if on the other hand they compromise and allow me to use my rig i will inform this thread so the deadmau5 abuse dosent escalate further :)

again, i don;t want a fuss kicked up over the nite as the local guys that run it are sound blokes and invited me knowing nothing about the retarded demands of deadmau5's agent. they just want a positive hitch free nite.

thanks all.
C'mon guy. You should know how it works around here. I've seen mud slinging start from way less. Re-read your thread title. If that's not opening things up for mud slinging I don't know what is.

I'm not saying you are wrong for it though. I would just expect that if deadmau still reads this forum you will probably not have to worry about the gig... how many other guys won the contest to open?

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Have a 'printed screen' of Traktor set as your desktop wallpaper.

Load up live.

Set up your mouseless, no need to look at the screen, live + controler DJ set-up.

Minimise live so that it appears to be Traktor running (thanks to the wallpaper)

No one will ever know!

------------------------

After the show (or while deadmou5 is playing his set) pull his ride. (and drink his rider!)
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.

mrsakitumi

Post by mrsakitumi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:21 pm

buy take away pizza. when you're done keep the box.
stick an ableton logo on the cover (so it visible by the audience)
on the inside of the cover, draw the session view of ableton with a koki pen.
place cdj's or ipod on the base and gig like that.
technically you're "not using" live.

even better, use 2 pizza boxes and place the mixer inbetween!
that should draw more attention than the mousehead.

lola

Post by lola » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Maybe the mouse falls in its own trap someday :D

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Seriously though the fact that he's selling cdjs that he's signed says a lot about the dudes personality. What a jack ass.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:33 pm

THATS NOTHING I INSIST ALL FAGGOTS AND IDIOTS ARE REMOVED FROM THE AUDIENCE WHENEVER I PLAY. SO FAR ZERO ATTENDANCE ON MY US TOUR

Daim

Post by Daim » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:42 pm

maximum01 wrote:deadmau's agent will not allow anything more than 126 bpm played before he takes the stage. another totally daft rule.
you should play some 252BPM Hardcore crapshit and pretend it's 126..

or play his tracks pitched to 252BPM wearing a cat mask :D

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:55 pm

where a catmask.

db2

Post by db2 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 pm

I honestly think this situations pretty funny and filled with cheese, but at the same time its just a gig. You can say f*ck it and go play some records or cd's for fun. It doesn't have to be that big of a deal. I understand that his move is a d*ck move, but a gigs a gig, you could maybe just go play for the fun of it. Unless its totally not worth it to you, then screw it.

krachtwerk

Post by krachtwerk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:19 pm

be the grown up one and play your cd's or don't play..

maximum01

Post by maximum01 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:24 pm

guys, it's sorted. the bpm restrictions still stand but an extra ableton rig is now allowed as long as the set-up is kept well clear of deadmau5's rig and sfx unit.

seems like crossed wires with agent and manager. his agent was still not happy about extra set-up but caved in when persuaded the set-ups would be far enough apart.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:28 pm

:?:

I guess you can't recognize your own computer with that huge ass mask on

MBP 2.3 GHz i5, Live 9.6.1, Push, MPD32, Rane SL2