Novation Remote SL vs Faderfox

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Novation Remote SL or Faderfox?

Novation Remote SL
50%
Faderfox
50%

Total votes: 20

bnz

Novation Remote SL vs Faderfox

Post by bnz » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:44 am

I'm tossing up which to buy, what are your thoughts?

I require use both in studio and live and I've heard the Novation Remotes are not to be trusted in a live environment so I'm leaning towards the Faderfox BUT automap is pretty appealing but since I have a behringer bcr2000 does it really matter?

-indecisive

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:16 pm

:!: you can't make a poll vote on that basis...

you can't really compare...

there are 5-6 models of faderfoxes, that you can use alone or combined to make a custom combination.

you've got to know what you wanna be able to do.

I have a long time been thinkin about buyin a remote SL, but browsing lots of forum topics made me think that was too unstable and buggy (perhap's not anymore for now?)

on the other side every faderfox user will tell you how solid, user -simple, superstable (only midi), thoses little ugly boxes are.

I own LV2, in addition to a padkontrol bought later because I needed pretty pads ;)

this rocks, but I never tried novation's SLs, so I can't compare.

I just know the LV2 is great, and never had any strange behavior. you midi plug, it works. (need a midi interface, but my padkontrol has one, so that's ok for live gigs : laptop + pk + LV2)

but nobody can say SL is better than faderfox, or faderfox is better than SL.

Automap... learn about it and ask yourself if you need it?

I thought I wanted automap, but since I made my choice (no automap), I don't miss it.

good luck :wink:

ollyb303

Fox!

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:27 pm

can't comment on the remote sl, but (perhaps predictably) I'm going to extol the virtues of Faderfox. I have 2 LV2 units and access to a further 2 and a DJ2 (which I can use for Live or Traktor - it's wicked in Live!) - they rock, basically.

I don't need automap at all as they pretty much do exactly what I want them to, plug and play straight out of the box (provided you have live 7.0.2 or above I believe).

They are rock solid and a joy to use (monstrejumo said I would say that, but I'm saying it anyway!)

So very good, I'm buying more in the very near future (probably a DJ2 of my own, but also tempted by LC2 for the extra faders)

Oh, and...

@monstrejumo - ugly??? my foxes are beautiful!!!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

bnz

Post by bnz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:06 am

Yeah I was thinking of the lv2

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:05 am

Do it. You won't be disappointed. :wink:
ob1techno.com

three

Post by three » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:30 pm

I have both a FaderFox DJ2 and a Novation Zero. I would trade the Zero for any two FaderFox products in a second. In my opinion, Automap is the single most irritating part of the Remote SL. If I could COMPLETELY turn it off and just use the Zero as a MIDI controller I would do that, but the thing seems to be smart enough to keep trying to automap things when it's not supposed to.

bnz

Post by bnz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks guys, you've definitely helped with my decision process. I think I'll go for the faderfox

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:24 pm

yes, buy an UGLY GENIOUS faderfox !!!!

ollyb303, do you really think your foxies are sexy??? 8O

I understand, that is like love : LOVE MAKES BLIND :lol:

EDIT:

I just watched to the vote results, as I can see, only SL users voted... Every post says FADERFOX, but the vote makes the SL winner ! even in that case I can't vote. So can we say SL users, that did vote but did not post, are not honnest??? (aaah will the dies irae fall on me :wink: )
Last edited by supamonsta on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

three

Post by three » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

monstrejumo wrote:ollyb303, do you really think your foxies are sexy???
if i had to choose whether to ditch my girlfriend or my faderfox, i would probably let her go.

you can get new girlfriends!

a faderfox is forever.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:30 pm

:lol:

perhap's a sexy night "lingerie" would perfectly suit my LV2 so that I could find it/her sexy?

(I'm afraid my padkontrol would be a little disturbed to lie next to this foxy lady... blink blink blink blink :?

Lephrenic

Post by Lephrenic » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 pm

My favourite thing on the Remote SL is the second row of encoders (not the endless ones). Very tactile, easy to manipulate in a live setting.

Assign them to an effect's LFO Amount or Envelope Amount or whatever. Most importantly, assign the Device on/off so 0=off and 1 to 127=on. Happy mashing.
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz, OSX 10.6.6
Presonus Firebox, APC40
Ableton Suite 9

three

Post by three » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:43 pm

monstrejumo wrote::lol:

perhap's a sexy night "lingerie" would perfectly suit my LV2 so that I could find it/her sexy?
I've been wishing they would go back to the black suits the first edition FaderFoxes had...

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:52 am

monstrejumo wrote:ollyb303, do you really think your foxies are sexy??? 8O

I understand, that is like love : LOVE MAKES BLIND :lol:

Yeah, they're sexy!
ob1techno.com

Fidel

Post by Fidel » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:31 pm

One thing I have noticed (or not noticed as the case may be) which could make a big difference in purchasing is: Are the FaderFoxes Standard MIDI I/O only or do they have MIDI USB capability. if they don't, for me that would make it a no go situation. The Novation SL is USB for the computer side and that is a requirement in my situation. Maybe not for others but as I am looking into buying a better MIDI controller than a Triggerfinger it would definatly make a difference. I looked on the FF site but I couldn't find I/O specs for any of the products. Maybe I'm just blind today.
Toshiba Satellite M115 (Core Duo 1.60Ghz-1g ram) / MacBook Pro 2Ghz/2g ram

966sf

Post by 966sf » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:40 am

The Faderfoxes only use MIDI cables. They don't have USB. But the only reason that would stop anybody is that they don't have MIDI I/O on their interface. And anyone without an external interface or soundcard should get one imho. And even though they is no USB, there is still native support in Live 7, which is pretty cool.
Macbook Pro 15" Core Duo 2.16ghz 2GB ram; Live 6.0.10; Live 7.0.7; Digi 003 Rack; Novation Remote Zero SL;Faderfox micromodul LC2, Korg Kontrol49; M-Audio Trigger Finger