ever been banned from using ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mazzo

Post by Mazzo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:04 pm

what a plonker!

126 bpm limit, lol

what a tool.

His image is tarnished anyways :wink:

good riddance to bad rubbish etc.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:08 pm

djadonis206 wrote: what if in 1997 the headliner was like, "You can't use technic 1200's" you have to use cassettes

-

walks into gig-

promoter "sorry dude you gotta play on the belt drives"

:P

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:16 am

thelike5 wrote:
STRATEGY_510 wrote:
thelike5 wrote: Yeah, this guy sounds like a total dick. I've heard a lot of strange requests from management types though... oftentimes the artist has no idea. This case is odd though because a manager wouldn't make that type of a demand on his own. I'm sure deadmau5 told him to do this because let's face it, nobody looks cool with CDJ's...
They look cooler than I guy staring at a laptop though, don't they?

STRATEGY
No, they don't actually...

Usually "the guy staring at his laptop" is using a fucking sequencing program such as Live ding-dong. Also, with laptop based live pa's or for that matter dj gigs, usually said artist is using a midi controller of sorts; be it a UC-33 or Oxygen 8 or something.

So, no, CDJ's don't look cooler than "staring at the laptop"

That's a funny opinion and very ironlic. I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't know how to beatmatch, hence the complex you have.

I just think its ironic that a 'software dj' can throw stones at someone using CDJ's...

What is Live ding-dong?

Is it anything like Ableton Live?

STRATEGY

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:05 am

i dont get why you ladies are still making such a big fuss.

i thought the issue had been resolved. Like i said, if the initial idea came from the headliner, then indeed he is a big diva. But seeing as how the problem no longer exists, i wouldnt be surprised if the agent is the one who deserves the bigger blame, probably having misunderstood a request more along the lines of what SWAN808 said.
"there isnt enough room for 2 laptop/live 'rigs' at the venue - so can the winner please use the CDJs"
and in the end, they allowed the winner to bring his Live rig, so why keep beating a dead horse?

Also, if you think about it, the 126 bpm limit is not so preposterous. Maybe he's playing around that bpm range, and wants to keep a decent flow between the opening set and his own. Makes sense. I'd want the same, if i were headlining, to be perfectly honest.

deadmau5

Re: ever been banned from using ableton?

Post by deadmau5 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:32 pm

maximum01 wrote:here's the story: i won a mix contest recently for a slot supporting a night in the uk with deadmau5 headlining.

fantastic i thought and started preparing my set for the big night...until tonight when the manager of the club informs me that deadmau5's agent won't allow any other ableton set-up on the night, only cdj's.

i ask him why a warm-up set sever hours before the main act will cause a problem and inform him the set-up will be tidied away before deadmau5 appears. but he won't budge, stating deadmau5 dosen't want anyone else using ableton when he performs!

have you guys ever heard such bs before? now i'm forced to use cdj's or i can't play

this is pure bullshit. I dont know who makes this nonsense up... let alone why.

i guess im an easy target for this kind of stuff... i have absolutley NO problems with anyone performing how / when / where they want. in fact, i encourage it.

to make a claim that "i dont want this or this" to come from anyone other than me is ludicrious at best...

im very happy for you that youv'e won!, and wish you much success in the future... but if i can give you any advice.... just shrug off drama like this in the future... much easier to enjoy performing music without all the petty details :D

in the meantime, im going to do my damndest to clear this up for you... nobody should be treated like that m8.

-deadmau5

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:55 pm

Amazing the power of internet community. It is not the first time that I see it work, now everyone can celebrate.

yoshitosser

Post by yoshitosser » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:12 pm

So, rob lee, you gonna get over to KVR and update your thread?

Dj-Grobe

Post by Dj-Grobe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:10 pm

deadmau5 wrote:
maximum01 wrote:here's the story: i won a mix contest recently for a slot supporting a night in the uk with deadmau5 headlining.

fantastic i thought and started preparing my set for the big night...until tonight when the manager of the club informs me that deadmau5's agent won't allow any other ableton set-up on the night, only cdj's.

i ask him why a warm-up set sever hours before the main act will cause a problem and inform him the set-up will be tidied away before deadmau5 appears. but he won't budge, stating deadmau5 dosen't want anyone else using ableton when he performs!

have you guys ever heard such bs before? now i'm forced to use cdj's or i can't play

i guess im an easy target for this kind of stuff... i have absolutley NO problems with anyone performing how / when / where they want. in fact, i encourage it.

to make a claim that "i dont want this or this" to come from anyone other than me is ludicrious at best...

im very happy for you that youv'e won!, and wish you much success in the future... but if i can give you any advice.... just shrug off drama like this in the future... much easier to enjoy performing music without all the petty details :D

in the meantime, im going to do my damndest to clear this up for you... nobody should be treated like that m8.

-deadmau5

Make space deadmau! in your next gig i stay there playng with this !!!

Image[/i]

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:22 pm

lets face it, dj's are not the worlds best technicians and there's been a couple of occasions where ive gone in and set stuff up with the mixers and the channels i use and whatnot during soundcheck then gone and fucked off to relax until just before its time to play .. come back and some clever ass has decided it would be really cool if it's all rearranged ..

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:15 pm

yoshitosser wrote:So, rob lee, you gonna get over to KVR and update your thread?
I'll do that just for you :lol: And is there anything else you would like while im on? :lol:
I see that the guy comes on and says a couple of lines here with regard to the gig and people start SUCKING COCK :lol: :lol: :lol: However i'll update the thread at KVR just incase anyone here thinks iv'e been a bit unfair...
just sticking up for the guy who was going to play that's all...so yoshitosser check back at KVR soon and i'll update that thread just for you. :wink:

maximum01

Post by maximum01 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:25 pm

guys, just a follow up post, have spoken to deadmau5's agent, steve hogan and he was very concerned about how this thread escalated.

he had no problem with me using ableton in the first place as long as the set-ups were kept apart. there was obviously some miscommunication going on somewhere.

i'm sorry i started the thread and didnt intent it to escalate like this and turn negatively on the artist/agent.

appologies and peace.

rob lee

Post by rob lee » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:29 pm

maximum01 wrote:guys, just a follow up post, have spoken to deadmau5's agent, steve hogan and he was very concerned about how this thread escalated.

he had no problem with me using ableton in the first place as long as the set-ups were kept apart. there was obviously some miscommunication going on somewhere.

i'm sorry i started the thread and didnt intent it to escalate like this and turn negatively on the artist/agent.

appologies and peace.

He he dont' worry mate now i'll take all the shit from here on in...i started the other thread at KVR so your ok....just play well at the gig mate...goodluck..
I just thought the Deadmau5 was forgetting where he came from and was having a fucking laugh at the up and coming like yourself....
:wink:

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Dj-Grobe wrote:
deadmau5 wrote:

-deadmau5

Make space deadmau! in your next gig i stay there playng with this !!!

Image[/i]
That's keepin it oldskool. F*ck all this new fangled technology! I'm going back to basics :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:41 pm

maximum01 wrote:guys, just a follow up post, have spoken to deadmau5's agent, steve hogan and he was very concerned about how this thread escalated.

appologies and peace.

GOD THAT IS SO FUCKING AWESOME.

A miscommunication happens and everyone immediately jumps on the DEADMAU5 IS A FUCKING ASSHOLE bandwagon.

There truly is no hope for humanity, but an awesome thread nonetheless.

maximum01

Post by maximum01 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:44 pm

hey rob, thanks for the comments, maybe it would be an idea if any follow up posts/comments made on other forums could be retracted to bring people up to speed that this was a miscommunication.

and that artist and agent had no problem with me using my setup in the first place.

thanks