Can I filter out incoming program changes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
radder

Can I filter out incoming program changes?

Post by radder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Sort of confusing issue...

I'm in a live band and am using physical keyboards as well as 10 VSTIs inside a Live (4.14) set

Since each of our songs requires selecting patches on the two keyboards as well as arming the appropriate MIDI track in Live, it's become a bit of a nightmare at gigs to move smoothly from one tune to the next.

So I set up Bome's MIDI Translator to convert program change data from my MIDI keyboard into outgoing program change messages for my other keyboards (MS2000 and Triton) as well as QWERTY keystrokes to arm the appropriate MIDI track in Live (I have all 10 arm buttons mapped to a QWERTY key so I can select instruments without the mouse).

Bome's is doing its job perfectly, but there is one snag. When I send these program changes from my MIDI keyboard, Live is picking them up on whatever track happens to be armed, which changes the preset on that track's VSTI.

This is very undesirable. I am wondering if there's some kind of setting I can make to filter out program change messages?

As a note, I have all of my MIDI tracks set to "All inputs" and "All channels" but the only program changes it is picking up are the original ones I am manually sending from my MIDI controller. The 'translated' ones are not an issue. I need to use this same MIDI controller to actually play the VSTIs so disabling the input port is not an option.

The only work-around I have come up with is to manually dis-arm the track using the QWERTY key before sending the next program change message, but I'd really rather find a more elegant solution. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron
myspace.com/raddermusic || soundcloud.com/a-radder || Thinkpad R61 / 3GB RAM / Echo Audiofire 4

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Live can't filter ANY midi data, people complain about that. it's still that way in Live 7, certainly in Live 4.

you sound like you definitely know what you're doing, I doubt I could add any more tips.

hth :?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:41 pm

maybe have each track to listen to a different MIDI channel?